Help with hair colouring, please?

lazyredragon

how do you get the edges to be sharper anti aliasing didnt work...and sharpening made it look kinda weird

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-03-03 19-59-43.png
    Screenshot from 2019-03-03 19-59-43.png
    253.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

lilyWhiteRose

what kind of brush are you using? it looks like you're drawing with a very soft brush. if you choose a brush with a higher hardness, then the edges should be more sharper when you draw or paint.

here's an example. i use clip studio paint, but all good flexible drawing programs should have a hardness option for their brushes. (sorry for rough examples i did them quickly lol)

i'd recommend changing up the hardness of your brush as you draw or paint... some things you might want a softer look, like shading from a soft light source, or you might want to define shapes or edges, so you'd want a harder brush for that.

as for editing your drawing to make it look sharper... i think you'll need to manually lasso the shape around the hair, then cut the soft edges to define it. i don't think there's a filter to make it look as exact as you want it.

here's what i mean, using my own example:

erm..... hope this helps!

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
lols when I read the title of the thread I thought....hair dye. :P

I can't help you with that either, but I thought I'd share the funny side with you.

Cheers. =)

lazyredragon

what kind of brush are you using? it looks like you're drawing with a very soft brush. if you choose a brush with a higher hardness, then the edges should be more sharper when you draw or paint.

here's an example. i use clip studio paint, but all good flexible drawing programs should have a hardness option for their brushes. (sorry for rough examples i did them quickly lol)

View attachment 654

i'd recommend changing up the hardness of your brush as you draw or paint... some things you might want a softer look, like shading from a soft light source, or you might want to define shapes or edges, so you'd want a harder brush for that.

as for editing your drawing to make it look sharper... i think you'll need to manually lasso the shape around the hair, then cut the soft edges to define it. i don't think there's a filter to make it look as exact as you want it.

here's what i mean, using my own example:

View attachment 655

erm..... hope this helps!
Helps a million! Actually yeah I was using a really soft brush... I'll test it out thank you!

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
lols when I read the title of the thread I thought....hair dye. :p

I can't help you with that either, but I thought I'd share the funny side with you.

Cheers. =)
I thought he was gonna talk about describing hair colours in novels or maybe deciding hair colours for his chars.

As for my contribution to this thread, urr there are quite a few yt channels who show/guide about doing digital painting so check them out I guess?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I thought he was gonna talk about describing hair colours in novels or maybe deciding hair colours for his chars.

As for my contribution to this thread, urr there are quite a few yt channels who show/guide about doing digital painting so check them out I guess?
The latest post side made me thought you started this thread because you wanted hair dye advice.

lazyredragon

The latest post side made me thought you started this thread because you wanted hair dye advice.
Actually, I go for the disney Kidagakash aesthetic grew my hair out currently in the bleaching process :;):