Help with synopsis?

Rudexvirus

Heya all, I was curious if there was anyone who was confident in their description/synopsis abilities that would be willing to help.

I have two stories, one that just hit update number 13. My description of the story is standing at the first blurb I came up with when the story first started.

If anyone is up for helping me get something more interesting or substantial, I would greatly appreciate it!

I would be willing to help out in some fashion in return :D

The story I'm looking to beef up is this one https://www.scribblehub.com/series/27365/visiting-an-old-one/

Lone_Crane

Some questions that came to mind while reading your synopsis that might be useful:
Why does Dash have reservations?
Why does Dash not feel included? What's that about?
Who/What are The Great Old Ones?
What kind of world is this? Obviously one where mankind has expanded beyond Earth, but is Earth still inhabited? Is this adventure a trip others might take like a tourst attraction (I'm guessing no), and who is Dash? A kid? An adult? How are they able to take a space trip? Does one of them have a space ship or did they hitch a ride or...?

The last sentence (Now they are beyond the point of return with a history of incorrect information. ) is completely perplexing to me. History of incorrect information? About what?

So I think in general there needs to be a bit more worldbuilding in the synopsis so I, the reader, can have a better idea of what I am about to read. Which doesn't mean that every question I asked necessarily needs to be answered in the synopsis, but I need more to go on.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
My own first blurb: A Dashing spaceman out on a trip with his two best buds. A world turned prison. Join these three unlikely heroes as they face off against Lovecraftian monsters at the bottom of an ocean floor!

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
When I write a synopsis I think what can I say that won't contain a spoiler yet still express what the story will be about in an interesting way.

Scribbler

My synopsis is the first paragraph of my story. I'll probably change it once get I far enough in my story to know what it's about.

Rudexvirus

Some questions that came to mind while reading your synopsis that might be useful:
Why does Dash have reservations?
Why does Dash not feel included? What's that about?
Who/What are The Great Old Ones?
What kind of world is this? Obviously one where mankind has expanded beyond Earth, but is Earth still inhabited? Is this adventure a trip others might take like a tourst attraction (I'm guessing no), and who is Dash? A kid? An adult? How are they able to take a space trip? Does one of them have a space ship or did they hitch a ride or...?

The last sentence (Now they are beyond the point of return with a history of incorrect information. ) is completely perplexing to me. History of incorrect information? About what?

So I think in general there needs to be a bit more worldbuilding in the synopsis so I, the reader, can have a better idea of what I am about to read. Which doesn't mean that every question I asked necessarily needs to be answered in the synopsis, but I need more to go on.

I apparently didnt have the notifications turned on for the thread...:(

At any rate, those are excellent questions and issues. A lot of them are answered in the first chapter I believe, but I see that the assumptions made about the story could differ quite a bit from what's delivered.

It gives me a lot to work with, thank you!

Rudexvirus

I actually sat down and made some adjustments and posted the new info on the fiction page. If anyone is still willing to have a look the thoughts are welcome.

The story isn't 100 percent planned out so some of the details are vague/undecided, but i'm hoping the new one works better and is more enticing. :D

Pistachio

When I make a synopsis it is usually a tweaked idea of my “eureka!” moment since I haven’t really started on making it yet plus I don’t have a written ending to support my synopsis.

The reason why I’m saying this is because this is how published novels work but since we, webnovel writers, are “publishing” it at the same time writing it, we don’t really know how it ends although we think we know how it should end.

What am I saying? Try using that “aha!” idea into the core of your synopsis. The amount of people may vary but it won’t fail to garner attention, after all, it piqued your interest.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
I was planning to rewrite my synopsis to get rid of the vague and non-informative nature of it after I finished my first volume.

Rudexvirus

I was planning to rewrite my synopsis to get rid of the vague and non-informative nature of it after I finished my first volume.
Yeah, I am feeling that as well.

It is hard to write a solid blurb when I don't really know whats coming. I guess the key may be to revisit it whenever a big shift happens?

Rudexvirus

As a side note, I love the cover for your library story! Can I ask where you got it?