Here they come!

Psycholor

Writing Trash
Given the apparent migration of Webnovel users to here, it might be worth the time to consider setting up certain measures in an effort to prevent some of the more undesirable aspects of their site culture from bleeding over.

For starters, I would suggest restricting the acceptable email domains for new SH accounts. At the moment, you can use seemingly any domain to verify an account, even one of those temporary 10minute mail burners.

I would also suggest time-locking new accounts from leaving reviews and perhaps comments to help blunt Webnovel troll behavior.

Lastly, Tony should consider increasing the number of moderators to help deal with the inevitable uptick in toxic and troll behavior.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
So for someone who dips into webnovel every so often but obviously not enough to know what is going on, what changed that more are coming over to here?
A lot of people are just worried about the toxic community that Webnovel is known for establishing themselves here. Others don't like certain popular aspects of Webnovels genres like wish-fulfilment and fear that some may try to implement them here. There's also the increase of trolls and spammers. Though each person has different reasons, these seem to be the big reasons.

Psycholor

Writing Trash
A lot of people are just worried about the toxic community that Webnovel is known for establishing themselves here. Others don't like certain popular aspects of Webnovel and fear that some may try to implement them here. There's also the increase of trolls and spammers. Though each person has different reasons, these seem to be the big reasons.

My main concern isn't actually even in my original suggestion post; but WebNovel writers tend to be low-effort spammy types. I really don't want to see recently updated and recently added fill-up with all of that shit to the detriment of our own community, which tends to follow a weekly or bi-weekly release model.

I just have no ideas on how to go about gatekeeping that without drastically altering the way the site works. All of my other suggestions would have a fairly simple UX impact by comparison.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Most users need only one account, and those who do clone theirs or make an alt are only likely to do it one or two times; they can easily make a second gmail, or make a yahoo and a gmail.
I know people with over 10 accounts in these forums, and over 20 on NUF.

Just because you don't use multiple accounts, it doesn't mean that some people who are active on the forums are fine with few accounts.

This kind of thing gets in the way of your real users. Unless there is a real gain to be obtained, then there is no point in adding this kind of restriction.

Adding an inconvenience for someone who wants to ban evade is sometimes necessary, but then it's usually better to restrict them from causing harm to others, not from registering in the site in the first place.

Oreo

My main concern isn't actually even in my original suggestion post; but WebNovel writers tend to be low-effort spammy types. I really don't want to see recently updated and recently added fill-up with all of that shit to the detriment of our own community, which tends to follow a weekly or bi-weekly release model.

I just have no ideas on how to go about gatekeeping that without drastically altering the way the site works. All of my other suggestions would have a fairly simple UX impact by comparison.
The system will automatically hide your novel if you updated too many times in a day.

They are the same person.

Psycholor

Writing Trash

Just because you don't use multiple accounts, it doesn't mean that some people who are active on the forums are fine with few accounts.

This kind of thing gets in the way of your real users. Unless there is a real gain to be obtained, then there is no point in adding this kind of restriction.

Adding an inconvenience for someone who wants to ban evade is sometimes necessary, but then it's usually better to restrict them from causing harm to others, not from registering in the site in the first place.
Again, I respectfully disagree. I do not see any purpose to having that many accounts; there is no way those people are not the extreme minority. They are hardly examples of "real users".

Unless you have evidence other than anecdotally "knowing some people", you will not convince me otherwise, and that's fine; we can disagree peacefully.

SailusGebel

Readers will gatekeep them on their own. Unlike WN, you can't delete a review with valid criticism on SH, and you can't change your rating on your own. So at least for now, we can wait and see.

Psycholor

Writing Trash
Readers will gatekeep them on their own. Unlike WN, you can't delete a review with valid criticism on SH, and you can't change your rating on your own. So at least for now, we can wait and see.

You have a lot more faith in people than I. Keep in mind, WN readers are coming as well, not just the authors.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice

Don't worry, any gatekeeping suggestion would surely be rejected anyways, so don't worry about thinking of a good way to go about it. There is no good way to go about it.

People will post in whatever way they want. If they end up becoming popular by posting regularly, all the power to them... If not, that's fine too.
Again, I respectfully disagree. I do not see any purpose to having that many accounts; there is no way those people are not the extreme minority. They are hardly examples of "real users".

Unless you have evidence other than anecdotally "knowing some people", you will not convince me otherwise, and that's fine; we can disagree peacefully.
People that like making multiple accounts are indeed a minority, but adding a restriction that troubles them for no benefit in an attempt to maybe get in the way of hypothetical potential trolls is obviously not going to happen.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Well said. :blob_sir:

SailusGebel

You have a lot more faith in people than I. Keep in mind, WN readers are coming as well, not just the authors.
Yes, so what? A lot of stories on WN actually don't have such a high rating. The main reason they do have high ratings is because those authors delete every review that is lower than 4-stars. WN readers care for ratings. What will those readers do when they see a spammy story with a 3-star rating? They would probably ignore it.

Psycholor

Writing Trash
Well, perhaps I'm just a pessimist. I believe my points stand, but we shall have to wait and see how things shake out.

SailusGebel

Well, perhaps I'm just a pessimist. I believe my points stand, but we shall have to wait and see how things shake out.
I actually agree with a lot of your points, but someone said a valid guess. What if WN decides to remove all those new features? Won't all the readers and authors go back? Yes, the chance is almost non-existent, but you never know. Right now, we should wait for further development. A couple of weeks won't damage SH.

Psycholor

Writing Trash
I actually agree with a lot of your points, but someone said a valid guess. What if WN decides to remove all those new features? Won't all the readers and authors go back? Yes, the chance is almost non-existent, but you never know. Right now, we should wait for further development. A couple of weeks won't damage SH.
My assumption is that this is "Three steps forward, then apologize and take one or two steps back."

You see it a lot in western game dev; a company will have a feature they want to add. They know nobody will like it. So they make it worse on purpose and increase the backlash. Then, they wait a few days, a week, a month, before suddenly announcing that, "We've listened to our feedback, and adjusted the systems!"

Then, they roll out the original version of the feature, the one they wanted initially, and treat it as a moment of them listening to the community.

SailusGebel

My assumption is that this is "Three steps forward, then apologize and take one step back."

You see it a lot in western game dev; a company will have a feature they want to add. They know nobody will like it. So they make it worse on purpose and increase the backlash. Then, they wait a few days, a week, a month, before suddenly announcing that, "We've listened to our feedback, and adjusted the systems!"

Then, they roll out the original version of the feature, the one they wanted initially, and treat it as a moment of them listening to the community.
Then you should also know that the players keep tolerating this. People still defend and play FIFA, people still defend and play WOW, people still defend and play COD, and the list goes on. Name a terrible game or franchise, and there will be fans and those who play it and pay for the game AND pay for dlcs, lootboxes and battle passes.

The same can happen here. And the authors and readers will return to WN, and it's not like they can mess everything up here in a span of a month.