Here they come!

Psycholor

Writing Trash
Given the apparent migration of Webnovel users to here, it might be worth the time to consider setting up certain measures in an effort to prevent some of the more undesirable aspects of their site culture from bleeding over.

For starters, I would suggest restricting the acceptable email domains for new SH accounts. At the moment, you can use seemingly any domain to verify an account, even one of those temporary 10minute mail burners.

I would also suggest time-locking new accounts from leaving reviews and perhaps comments to help blunt Webnovel troll behavior.

Lastly, Tony should consider increasing the number of moderators to help deal with the inevitable uptick in toxic and troll behavior.

LostLibrarian

Then, they roll out the original version of the feature, the one they wanted initially, and treat it as a moment of them listening to the community.
I can't even remember the last time WN took a step back and apologized. They just keep silent and people will still use it because the stories they want to read are there. The webnovel app has over 10 Million download - not all active readers of course, but with estimated 20 million visits a month to their desktop version, the app should have long become the more active feature.

Especially the majority of paying readers use the app and that's what important for webnovel. What a non-paying reader screams about "no more free chapters" or "using ads to unlock stuff" or whatever isn't really important to a business. Webnovel is just doing fine. In fact, it was growing over the last months. While SH was staying more or less constant according to estimates, webnovel's monthly activity on the desktop version grew by half of SH activity.

And yeah, there are a ton of bots and double accounts and trolls and whatnot. But webnovel is doing fine. There is no need to listen to a relatively small part of the community that
(a) won't use the app
(b) won't spend massive amounts of money
(c) often are authors with rather slow releases.

I mean, we'll see how it goes but according to us who dislike their ideas, webnovel was dead for years now...

---------------------------------

As for On-Topic: I don't believe we'll see a lot of problems.
A lot of the problems are created by webnovel itself and people behave like they do because of it. And they'll run into a brickwall if they try that behavior here. A lot of their stories won't find success here or on RR due to the different systems/target audience. If they can't delete reviews to push their story from a 3 to a 4, most readers won't even touch such stories with a stick. And I mean, it's not like SH didn't have spam-writing and mindless stories before. We already had a lot of low-effort stuff that got forgotten just as fast.

There might be a short time where people will try to leave mass bad ratings or shit reviews or just spam negative stuff. But in most cases, that is just one message to Tony and it's over. And at some point, the users will stop because they won't get what they want/don't find what they look for.

To be completely honest: one of the biggest problems could be a ton of new forum threads titled "I got my first 0.5 ratings from a webnovel troll". So we just added another feature to the usual...

That said: there might be trolls and toxic stuff coming over and every step against that would be a welcome one.
But I think, SH has more pressing points Tony should work on...

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
So for someone who dips into webnovel every so often but obviously not enough to know what is going on, what changed that more are coming over to here?
From the other posts I read...
Basically, the web version of WebNovel is now almost completely unusable.

To log in to your account, you must download their app for "two factor authentication"
To read the second half of any chapter past chapter 10... you must download their app and read it there.
Need text-to-speach or translation? Too bad. Not supported.

pelpelen

Isn't that... xenophobic?
But replacing the countries with sites

Vicky

Ah yes. Gotta love scribble Hub's forum. Trying to impose their biases onto the rest of the community.

You know that instead of blocking burner emails, they can flag IP's that mass downvote or create duplicated reviews?

Kenjona

A lot of people are just worried about the toxic community that Webnovel is known for establishing themselves here. Others don't like certain popular aspects of Webnovels genres like wish-fulfilment and fear that some may try to implement them here. There's also the increase of trolls and spammers. Though each person has different reasons, these seem to be the big reasons.
Ahh the toxic commenter section entertainment. Yeah, I was early adopter of Webnovel back when. A lot of the comment section developed in response to how Webnovel kept proving that their douche baggery level could keep going higher even when people thought it could not. Now its part of their culture I am sure, but I do not go anywhere near that stuff. I prefer to not step in shit and just avoid it.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Ah yes. Gotta love scribble Hub's forum. Trying to impose their biases onto the rest of the community.

You know that instead of blocking burner emails, they can flag IP's that mass downvote or create duplicated reviews?
IP bans are indeed an option, but they sadly don't always work.

Sometimes people have IPs that just keep on changing all the time, other times they just use VPNs and bypass it.

Still an option for some cases though~

Zakuro

Crushed Pomegranate
IP bans are indeed an option, but they sadly don't always work.

Sometimes people have IPs that just keep on changing all the time, other times they just use VPNs and bypass it.

Still an option for some cases though~
Sometimes people use public Wi-Fi.

IP bans would doom other people who use the same Wi-Fi.

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
They may be coming from Webnovel, but they are people too. You shouldn't treat them like criminals.

Twin

So for someone who dips into webnovel every so often but obviously not enough to know what is going on, what changed that more are coming over to here?
I would like to know too, honestly.

EDIT: I just checked why. Realized wn has no more free chapters lol.

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I would like to know too, honestly.

EDIT: I just checked why. Realized wn has no more free chapters lol.
At the time this thread was made, Webnovel had removed the ability to read novels past their first volume on the website. You could only read v2 onwards on their app.

A large number of users started migrating away from Webnovel and to other sites when that happened, but it only lasted for a day or two before they removed this feature that forced you into the app.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Isn't that... xenophobic?
But replacing the countries with sites
if we're extending the philosophy to websites then it's all free game.

why cure your cancer? are you xenophobic to the tumor? they're lives too, you know?

Dajoe1234

I don't think I'm active enough here to make sense for me to be a mod, but if it was just doing stuff like handling reports, moving threads around and banning bots, I could probably handle it tbh.

But I don't think Tony would be that interested in having me as a mod.

Okay, onwards to the suggestion.

Unnecessary. Let people use whatever e-mails they want. This is also useful for users that want to make clone accounts. There is no benefit to be gained here.

Reviews need to be manually approved by Tony before they're publicly visible, so that's also unnecessary. Tony will handle reviews.

As for comments, authors can delete comments at will, so this is also not a problem. If someone started harassing an author via comments, then the author (or other users) may report the member, so that can also be handled with some ease.

That said, if someone started creating a buttload of clone accounts just for the sake of harassing someone as the accounts are banned after being reported, then a countermeasure might be necessary (this is why new accounts on the forums can't PM others, btw. Someone made over 50 accounts to harass users by PM, so Tony implemented the restriction), but I don't see any point in creating this kind of restriction that would bother real users if it doesn't show itself to be necessary. Let people comment normally, if new accounts start being created for harassment and for dodging bans, then bigger measures might be taken.

That's something that would demand waiting and seeing.

Right now the forums don't have many mods, but they have been enough for the time being. If faster responses become necessary, or the mods become overworked, then more mods might be needed.

No clue about the discord as I am not a part of it though. Once again, it's something that should be done as needed. No point in having more mods than necessary in your site.

As for the main site. Tony is the one and only person that handles quite literally everything on the main site AFAIK, so... Well, unless he feels comfortable with sharing the workload, he'll probably keep on doing it by himself.
Carefully.

pelpelen

if we're extending the philosophy to websites then it's all free game.

why cure your cancer? are you xenophobic to the tumor? they're lives too, you know?
You're right... CANCER CELLS DESERVE THEIR OWN CHOICE!

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Don't just segregate the entire population for the trolls that lurk among them.