Historical Triumph

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
To all doubters:

1656772393313.png

Here is the definitive proof that 99% of all "historical" stories don't actually fit the genre. Fantasy stories aren't historical, and so aren't cultivation stories. Whoever thinks otherwise is wrong.

I'll proceed to report them all spitefully. Goodbye.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
Fantasy stories can be historical, as long as they are in the right setting.
For example, the legend of king Arthur has quite a few fantasy elements, but it is also historical, because the setting is in the past.
I can write a cultivation story set in ancient china during the Spring and Autumn Period, showing the developpment of teh hundred schools of thought while throwing some magic in teh mix, and it can still be categorised as historical fiction.
I seem to remeber Blood Rose Rebellion was a fabtasy historical fiction (though apparently it was often incorrect on the historical details).

Of course, maybe 99% of all "historical" stories don't actually fit the genre, I woudn't know, but saying :
Fantasy stories aren't historical, and so aren't cultivation stories. Whoever thinks otherwise is wrong.

Is wrong, and I find overgeneralised conclusions to be as irritating as you find mislabeled fictions annoying.
I will therefore proceed to write a spitefull reply. Goodbye.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
*eyes the historical fantasy novel that I spent months doing research for* I would disagree on the premise that you are wrong.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
For example, the legend of king Arthur has quite a few fantasy elements, but it is also historical, because the setting is in the past.
I can write a cultivation story set in ancient china during the Spring and Autumn Period, showing the developpment of teh hundred schools of thought while throwing some magic in teh mix, and it can still be categorised as historical fiction.
I seem to remeber Blood Rose Rebellion was a fabtasy historical fiction (though apparently it was often incorrect on the historical details).

Of course, maybe 99% of all "historical" stories don't actually fit the genre, I woudn't know, but saying :

Is wrong, and I find overgeneralised conclusions to be as irritating as you find mislabeled fictions annoying.
I wouldn't consider the Legend of King Arthur a true blue historical fiction, nor any cultivation story set in ancient China, nor any witchery story of the medieval time. It may be historical fantasy, but I'm a historical purist.

D

Deleted member 57675

So if its historical setting at the time but fictional characters and story, is it historical fiction?

What if historical setting, some historical + fictional characters, in a fictional story that while builds some historical events but mostly centers on the fiction part of a story?

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I wouldn't consider the Legend of King Arthur a true blue historical fiction, nor any cultivation story set in ancient China, nor any witchery story of the medieval time. It may be historical fantasy, but I'm a historical purist.
Be a historical purist all you want, but they fit with the definition of the tag you showed. It is true that usually historical and historical fiction are usually seperated, and for good reason, but on this site that does not seem to be the case.
If you want that changed, then you probably should contact the admisistrator, though I am not sure how many writers of true historical fiction there are on this site.
So if its historical setting at the time but fictional characters and story, is it historical fiction?

What if historical setting, some historical + fictional characters, in a fictional story that while builds some historical events but mostly centers on the fiction part of a story?
If it is a historical setting, then it goes in the historical genre. If it also has fiction, it becomes historical fiction. Even if you focus mostly on the fiction, as long as the historical parts are not totally irrelevant.

Think of the Iliad and the Odyssey. They recount historical events with historical characters, melded together with fictional characters and events. a classic historical fiction.

D

Deleted member 57675

Be a historical purist all you want, but they fit with the definition of the tag you showed. It is true that usually historical and historical fiction are usually seperated, and for good reason, but on this site that does not seem to be the case.
If you want that changed, then you probably should contact the admisistrator, though I am not sure how many writers of true historical fiction there are on this site.

If it is a historical setting, then it goes in the historical genre. If it also has fiction, it becomes historical fiction. Even if you focus mostly on the fiction, as long as the historical parts are not totally irrelevant.

Think of the Iliad and the Odyssey. They recount historical events with historical characters, melded together with fictional characters and events. a classic historical fiction.
Gp. I kinda feel like there should be more classifications within historical genre everytime watch or read something like it. There's historical historical that really tries to potray how the lives of certain historical people and eras were like. Maybe tad boring bc base on details of time period or dark bc history. Then there's those that place the story in historical setting but everything else is fantasy to the point it contradicts what that historical time period was like.

I think cultivation xianxia like medieval isekai anime fantasy. Its fantasy fiction. And falls in the latter above mentioned.