Honeyfeed contest

Kitsura

Looks like honeyfeed is doing a MAL contest again, does anyone know if the original winners of the past contest got their manga?

LostLibrarian

AFAIK they created their own publishing agency that was meant to represent the winners and get one door into the foot to japan.
At least there was no big announcement about any manga created or any real connection...
That said, there was no promise to get a manga anyway so I would guess that the overall quality just wasn't there...

BenJepheneT

Kelana - Bayangan
AFAIK they created their own publishing agency that was meant to represent the winners and get one door into the foot to japan.
At least there was no big announcement about any manga created or any real connection...
That said, there was no promise to get a manga anyway so I would guess that the overall quality just wasn't there...
If you catch up with the goings of the competition you'll find out it's mostly a popularity contest with no judging panel to dictate the quality of the work. Honeyfeed probably reached out for a crapshoot as a way to boost their site engagement. I might be wrong, and that Kodansha might give them a one-shot manga from an amateur mangaka to prove his worth, but as far as I'm concerned, it's a wishful circlejerk.

LostLibrarian

Yeah, it is a popularity contest. Though this year, there seems to be a judging panel as well. Interesting to see how that might turn out...
They run the contest in the hope to get some piece of the MAL community to stay as readers as their user is still rather small and stories outside of the contest rarely get a lot of views. It's the same as all the webnovel-clones, though here you can at least be sure that you get the price money should you have enough friends to vote for you :D

I might be wrong, and that Kodansha might give them a one-shot manga from an amateur mangaka to prove his worth, but as far as I'm concerned, it's a wishful circlejerk.
AFAIK there is actual contact to Kodansha, but they don't give away a manga directly to the winner but have a look at the interesting finalists and might give those an offer. Which - with most entries - will simply fall through due to the quality and/or structure of the entry...