How about we create a single thread about collection of narrative techniques/popular terms in writing?

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
just an idea if there's anyone here interested to be behaving like an actual community.

so the details is : someone made a thread at Discussion & Writing tips subforum, but the #1 post only giving the explanation about how the thread works, that everyone can contribute to post a popular narrative technique they know (like Chekhov's Gun, Deus Ex-Machina, MacGuffin, or even something as obvious as Marry Sue)

the #2 post, would be the index of the thread (so someone who made a list with title and giving hyperlink that directing to each post according to the name of the narrative technique, I know this is obvious, but just in case some people couldn't understand how indexing in a forum works)

After that, we start to post the narrative technique, the name, the explanation, and the example of it. (but please DON'T copy pasting it from some other site like Wikipedia or something. wrote it on your own) and for indexing purpose, one post can only contained one narrative technique
and like i said, the contributor of the thread is not just one person. but anyone who's willing to participate to introduce some popular narrative technique and their official name.

why should we make this? Well, it might be useful. and I'm sure as heck some people who read this thread didn't know those certain narrative technique I mentioned above is actually a thing.
the purpose is to introduce those popular narrative technique to those who's not attending writing school, collecting it in one single thread, and then makes a proper index for easier navigation.
who knows, it might be a little help.

what do you guys think? does anyone want to be on board with this, or does you guys think this is unnecessary, or whatever it is. please speak up.

just for the heads up, I definitely would contribute some explanation of narrative technique if this happened, I could also be the #1 post if you guys wanted it, but I don't think I could handle the indexing at the #2 post.

SailusGebel

We've already acted like a community more than once in the past, a community of shitposters.

Anyway, good idea, but won't it invoke discussions\argumetns over the definition of some things? The most simple example is NTR. Everyone has their own definition of what NTR is, as they have a different experience with it. People learned about it from different sites, different translators, etc. Sure, some terms like the mentioned Chekhov gun probably(doubt) won't make everyone discuss what is the correct definition. But what about some Japanese terms, for example, isekai, or Chinese terms, for example, cultivation?

This thread would die out because people will shift the topic and start talking about definitions real soon. Especially considering how some people here are either trolls or really rigid with their views and think that only their definitions are the right ones.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
We've already acted like a community more than once in the past, a community of shitposters.

Anyway, good idea, but won't it invoke discussions\argumetns over the definition of some things? The most simple example is NTR. Everyone has their own definition of what NTR is, as they have a different experience with it. People learned about it from different sites, different translators, etc. Sure, some terms like the mentioned Chekhov gun probably(doubt) won't make everyone discuss what is the correct definition. But what about some Japanese terms, for example, isekai, or Chinese terms, for example, cultivation?

This thread would die out because people will shift the topic and start talking about definitions real soon. Especially considering how some people here are either trolls or really rigid with their views and think that only their definitions are the right ones.
but that's the point.

the reason why I said we shouldn't copy pasting it from another site is so we could wrote our own definition of it.
and I never said there couldn't be more than one title with the same narrative technique.

we could just put the index like

NTR according to user A
NTR according to user B

which is also why I said I couldn't handle to be the indexer, I don't think I have enough time to evaluate which one is a troll which one is seriously trying to help despite being bad at it.

SailusGebel

but that's the point.

the reason why I said we shouldn't copy pasting it from another site is so we could wrote our own definition of it.
and I never said there couldn't be more than one title with the same narrative technique.

we could just put the index like

NTR according to user A
NTR according to user B

which is also why I said I couldn't handle to be the indexer, I don't think I have enough time to evaluate which one is a troll which one is seriously trying to help despite being bad at it.
When I mentioned trolls, I meant that they would not simply write the wrong definition. I meant that they will sabotage\shift the topic proactively.

Also, I meant that the thread would be very messy. Even if there are no trolls, people might start discussing things. It happened more than once. Even under the guides\tutorials, two-three people would start discussing one thing, essentially drowning those who wanted to contribute\ask something. And as there are no moderators that will delete the irrelevant replies, and people don't PM each other to discuss something from a particular thread, it will be messy.

Also, I'm not so sure about different definitions according to different users. What if some user is wrong, yet this user isn't a troll. Let's say this user wanted to help. What if he\she had some misconception about the term\trope\technique, and now he\she is spreading it?

Ymadthepirate

Professional Bitch Faggot in da house
IDK if this question would fit or not, but what does the viewer base think on cliches good or bad?

RisRizRitz

A worthwhile task, but it won't work well with this community. Plus, there are already other sites like TvTropes that do that.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
When I mentioned trolls, I meant that they would not simply write the wrong definition. I meant that they will sabotage\shift the topic proactively.

Also, I meant that the thread would be very messy. Even if there are no trolls, people might start discussing things. It happened more than once. Even under the guides\tutorials, two-three people would start discussing one thing, essentially drowning those who wanted to contribute\ask something. And as there are no moderators that will delete the irrelevant replies, and people don't PM each other to discuss something from a particular thread, it will be messy.

Also, I'm not so sure about different definitions according to different users. What if some user is wrong, yet this user isn't a troll. Let's say this user wanted to help. What if he\she had some misconception about the term\trope\technique, and now he\she is spreading it?
i don't see any problem with that though? it's just a thread discussion as usual. most people would probably just skim it and pay no mind to it if it doesn't involve them (at least that's what I do)

which is why I said there's an Index for it, for those who want to know if there's a certain narrative technique that they didn't know and want to read some explanation to it.

and beside, even if the explanation is doesn't seems to be satisfactory, they can just google the term as long as it providing an actual term.
IDK if this question would fit or not, but what does the viewer base think on cliches good or bad?
excuse me what? sorry i don't understand this question at all.
A worthwhile task, but it won't work well with this community. Plus, there are already other sites like TvTropes that do that.
most probably. That's why I create this thread first to see how people would fare with this.

I mean, if people here doesn't want to cooperate I wouldn't go as far as saying "this is why we can't have nice things", i'll probably be like : well, I guess it just didn't work.

SailusGebel

and beside, even if the explanation is doesn't seems to be satisfactory, they can just google the term as long as it providing an actual term.
Then what is even the point of making such a thread?

i don't see any problem with that though? it's just a thread discussion as usual. most people would probably just skim it and pay no mind to it if it doesn't involve them (at least that's what I do)

which is why I said there's an Index for it, for those who want to know if there's a certain narrative technique that they didn't know and want to read some explanation to it.
Yeah, that is what you will do as you won't make an index. However, who would make an index? Who will surf through the thread? This is the crucial part.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
Well, why not try? It could be useful for igniting some people's passion for writing, though it probably won't be a good educational source in and of itself (I have seen more people misinterpreting the "show don't tell" adage to something directly opposite to what it means here than you could shake a stick at)
Why not try. Although, admittedly, I doubt you will find a lot of enthusiasm for the cause here, and the thread will probably die out like a wilted flower that hasn't been watered and hasn't seen the sun for far too long.

Agentt

Thighs
My favourite is Unreliable Narrator.

While most stories have an omnipotent all seeing all knowing narrator, who may or may not focus on just protagonist; an unreliable narrator gives a biased view. This can be done by various extents, like narrator accurately telling us what is happening but lies about why it's happening, like:
"Agentt fed stray cats, for he was a sadistic man who wanted the poor younglins to suffer through the harsh reality of life for as long as possible."

Or, it can be done as
"Agentt saw some kittens, and stopped for a while. After that he moved on his cycle where he proceeded to break traffic rules as all cyclists do, and challenged a car to a race which led him almost getting killed."

Here, the narrator skipped the kittens part and explicitly focused on the cycle part.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
Then what is even the point of making such a thread?

Yeah, that is what you will do as you won't make an index. However, who would make an index? Who will surf through the thread? This is the crucial part.
i already specified everything on the first post what the hell.
Well, why not try?
I can't do this alone, alone that's why.

SailusGebel

i already specified everything on the first post what the hell.
Yes, you specified, and you are contradicting yourself. You say, why don't we do this? Then you say, if someone doesn't like it, he\she can google this stuff. Then I ask you, what's the point? You answer that you made it clear in the first post.

When I say that it would be a convoluted mess, you say that everything will be okay for those who post definitions. But when I ask you who will surf through the convoluted mess to make an index, you say what the hell everything is specified in the first post.

Maybe I'm stupid? :blob_pat_sad: But I don't understand this.

I can't do this alone, alone that's why.
make an indexing thread and come up with a tag, something like GGA, and append such threads.
take the first step. if it works it works, if it dies it dies.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
we already have TV Troupes for this. i definitely commend the heart but the effort is about as fruitful as drinking a bottle of cooking oil. yeah, it's difficult but what's the point?

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Yes, you specified, and you are contradicting yourself. You say, why don't we do this? Then you say, if someone doesn't like it, he\she can google this stuff. Then I ask you, what's the point? You answer that you made it clear in the first post.

When I say that it would be a convoluted mess, you say that everything will be okay for those who post definitions. But when I ask you who will surf through the convoluted mess to make an index, you say what the hell everything is specified in the first post.

Maybe I'm stupid? :blob_pat_sad: But I don't understand this.
Exactly why I said no. There are thousands of these stupid as shit ideas that haven't been thought out at all. If it is such a good fucking idea then just do it!

SailusGebel

Exactly why I said no. There are thousands of these stupid as shit ideas that haven't been thought out at all. If it is such a good fucking idea then just do it!
Like that collaborative project about writing a battle tournament?