How are RPGs fellow zoomers?

Agentt

Thighs
Yeah yeah yeah, I am a zoomer as well! Just like you all. I do normal zoomer activities like procastinate and looking at dank memes. Today, just as usual, I was looking at some memes too, when I saw one about the role playing games and how difficult it is to collect experience points.

Now, being a certified zoomer, I have played RPGs too! I have played so many RPGs, when I saw that meme, I went, "Oh, RPGs! I know of them. I have played them."

But now, it's been a while since I played them. Not for long though, I haven't played any RPGs for just a little bit, you know, like a few hours, days, weeks...months......years...but who is counting?

So, I was wondering,
Have RPGs changed in any way in these few years I haven't played them?

Jemini

Yeah. I agree. What?

Ok. For 1. The 90s and early 2000s was the heyday of RPGs. That's Millennial territory. Gen Y. The big thing for Gen Z is First Person Shooters and open world games.

There are still new RPGs out there, but nothing like the prevalence and overwhelming dominance they had in the 90s. Most of what exists now are action/adventure or platformer style games that have some RPG mechanics mixed in.

For 2. Exactly what do you expect to change about RPGs in a mere few years?

SailusGebel

Yeah. I agree. What?

Ok. For 1. The 90s and early 2000s was the heyday of RPGs. That's Millennial territory. Gen Y. The big thing for Gen Z is First Person Shooters and open world games.

For 2. Exactly what do you expect to change about RPGs in a mere few years?
:blob_pat_sad: What?

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Roleplaying game
Yeah yeah yeah, I am a zoomer as well! Just like you all. I do normal zoomer activities like procastinate and looking at dank memes. Today, just as usual, I was looking at some memes too, when I saw one about the role playing games and how difficult it is to collect experience points.

Now, being a certified zoomer, I have played RPGs too! I have played so many RPGs, when I saw that meme, I went, "Oh, RPGs! I know of them. I have played them."

But now, it's been a while since I played them. Not for long though, I haven't played any RPGs for just a little bit, you know, like a few hours, days, weeks...months......years...but who is counting?

So, I was wondering,
I'll assume you're meaning the console rpg's and not the ttrpg's.

If you haven't tried them yet, there are some nice ones that still use a similar format to older rpg's:
Shin Megami Tensei V
Legend of Heroes series (there's a load of games in this)
Persona games (spinoff series from SMT)

Etc...

Other ones are more like action rpg like:
Dragon Age games
Greedfall
Ys games
Tales of... games

Etc...

X

Agentt

Thighs
Roleplaying game

If you haven't tried them yet, there are some nice ones that still use a similar format to older rpg's:
Shin Megami Tensei V

Etc...

Dragon Age games
Greedfall
Ys games
Tales of... games

Etc...

X
I have played them! I just haven't played them for a few years, and was wondering if anything has changed over these years
For 2. Exactly what do you expect to change about RPGs in a mere few years
Well, the RPGs I know were just, "hey stranger, I know we just met but there is a emergency so please take these state secrets to our commander." and then the comman would say, "Ah, I hate to say this but we need you to kill a dragon."

So, mostly lore wise. Are we still fast paced or do games now focus on lore or character development? There is also skill trees. The ones I played had just the basic classes, and barely any specific upgrades to specific classes. They didn't really give space for, creativity? I guess? Like if my class was archer, the only upgrades usually available would be longer range and faster reload.

And puzzles? Do RPGs still have puzzles? Have they nerfed them or buffed them?
console rpg's and not the ttrpg's
Also, i kinda meant both, I have played a few ttrpgs tho I could never go much far in them since most require....you know, friends....but I have played a few online.

Last edited:

hauntedwritings

Back in the day, RPGs was a way to experience a story.

Now on the other hand, RPGs have drifted further and further from that. Now their primary selling point are often 'large amounts of exploration', 'great graphics' or 'intriguing/unique/state of the art combat system' (or worst of all, CRAFTING), with the story being secondary (or in a few cases, non-existent despite being a supposed RPG.

Oh, and lets not forget about the fact that if you want to experience the story in full these days, you will need to buy the DLCs. Never mind buying the game for the price you see, you will need to pay double of that if you want the full story.

Rant over.

Horizon42

So, I was wondering,
They've gotten prettier. Dialogue is relatively the same though since there's very little way to streamline the process of writing an voiceacting. Usally there's good diversity in gameplay, sometimes ther isn't

Mount and Blade bannerlord/Warband, Kingdom Delivrance, Breath of the Wild, and Heavily modded Skyrim are good places to start. There's also a realliy good game made in the Skyrim Engine, but I forgot the Name. I hear Elden Ring is good if you like 3rd person and that kind of narrative style. Many others as well.

Bethesda is having a lot of their games, from fallout to Elder Scrolls being redone and enhanced by the community. Some of the projects should be done within the next 2 years, so keep a lookout for those.

SailusGebel

Why does everyone ignore Larian with their Baldurs Gate 3 as a somewhat recent RPG? Yeah, BG3 was out in 2020, but it's early access. The full game will come out in 2023 or so. What about Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous?

Amok

grblbrbl
mostly play older games and indie(still haven't finished planescape) ones so idk. i like story rich rpgs with well-executed worlds and characters. these days games like Battle Brothers and Vagrus keep me bound for hours, maybe not rpgs in full but I find their format to be more enjoyable than isometric rpgs.

isometric-wise the following i have found enjoyable: Torment: Tides of Numenera, Tyranny.
Never finished but cool: Divinity 2, Pillars of Eternity.

EDIT: Oh and I enjoyed Borderlands and still enjoy Borderlands 2, skyrim and oblivion were chill and with mods entirely epic, withcer 1 was good but never finished. also i guess i'm not a zoomer not that such distinctions mean much 2 me.

Last edited:

FGCCheckmate

Wouldn't mobile gacha games be Gen Z's preferred style of RPG?

Spending fifty dollars so they can (hopefully) get two copies of their favorite character in a swimsuit during a June-exclusive summoning event? That way they can merge them into an SS+ (strong, but still not as viable as an SSS++) unit only to lose to whales when they enter ranked multiplayer.

Jemini

Roleplaying game

Shin Megami Tensei V

Etc...

Dragon Age games
Greedfall
Ys games
Tales of... games

Etc...

X

For classic RPGs, there's also a fantastic game called "Another Eden" for steam and mobile. (Interestingly enough, it's the mobile version that's the better version of the game. Go figure.) (Full title is Another Eden: The Cat Beyond Time and Space. As funny as that sub-title is, it actually has a serious plot-relevant point in the game that will hit you like the 6th sense right near the end of the 1st major story arc.)

A company called Wright Flyer Studios actually decided to be serious mad-lads and did the crazy task of pulling together the old team from Square who worked on Chrono Trigger (AKA, a serious contender for the #1 best RPG ever made, with it's only viable competition being Final Fantasy 6 and 7.) and then they had them make an actual spiritual successor to the Chrono series. It's a pretty darn amazing game, especially for a mobile game. (And, it really does have about the same feel as playing the old classic 90s era JRPGs, it feel a whole heck of a lot like Chrono Trigger in particular.)

EDIT: Actually, I guess Another Eden might be the answer OP was looking for. Another Eden was made back in 2019, and has been expanding it's story with regular updates since then. (In the past 3 years, it has become a HUGE game that will take you months to finish, even if you binge it.) So, it marks a serious new development for the RPG genre of gaming.
Well, the RPGs I know were just, "hey stranger, I know we just met but there is a emergency so please take these state secrets to our commander." and then the comman would say, "Ah, I hate to say this but we need you to kill a dragon."

So, mostly lore wise. Are we still fast paced or do games now focus on lore or character development? There is also skill trees. The ones I played had just the basic classes, and barely any specific upgrades to specific classes. They didn't really give space for, creativity? I guess? Like if my class was archer, the only upgrades usually available would be longer range and faster reload.

You must be talking about western RPGs. JRPGs have always been strong lore wise. The last time they had shallow shoehorned-in quests like what you're talking about was back in the NES era, and even then they were a bit better than that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 54065

So, I was wondering,
Well, RPGs have certainly went up.

From 7, now its got RPG-22, RPG-29, etc. You can also opt for a HEAT or tandem charge warhead for more effectivity in the battlefield.

But seriously speaking, I haven't played RPG. I was an introverted loser when I was young. 😂🤣