How arrogant were you when you first came here

Well, on August 2019, I saw a dream, and that was such an amazing one, I wanted to write it. So, I wrote about it on word and when it was completed, I posted it here chapter by chapter.
I was so arrogant that I didn't even write a synopsis. I just wrote that it is written by me and that it's not for kids. And, well. I was really expecting people to get intimidated by my confidence like they show in movies. The dream of making millions was almost within my reach, till I decided one day to read my work and got cringed so hard I deleted the hell out of it. I still want to write it but romance is more difficult than I thought.
And, well, please tell me I am not alone...
Arrogant? No. Absolutely fucking terrified to have other humans read my work? Yes.

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
Arrogant? Hell no.

My writing before was even cringe when I first write a prototype and I almost don't want to write a story before thinking about it for a long time and now writing a story that I wanted to read because I can't wait for a long time for someone to wrote it.

UnfortunateHobbyist

I guess this isn't really meant for people like me who literally just made their accounts, but still...

Been scribbling something as a hobby for a bit and posting it on Pixiv, getting a couple of views per chapter. I have absolutely no delusions about the quality of my writing, I just finally decided that I want to write the story. I'm spending more money on it for the art than I ever expect to get back from it (which is to say, I don't expect to get any money from my writing, ever). My view from the beginning has been that if even one person that isn't me enjoys my writing, I'm 100% happy.

When coming here with no expectations, I was surprised when I woke up and found that I had like two to three times the total views here on just the prologue, first extra chapter and the first "main" story chapter compared to Pixiv where the story's a bit further along. Should've probably seen it coming since Pixiv has a very small English reading population, but nope!

So, I feel a bit conflicted. Not getting any comments, no likes, a couple of bookmarks and stuff on Pixiv was good enough for me. Can't say I'm not a bit afraid of getting critiqued to hell and back over something I consider a fun hobby!

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
Well, on August 2019, I saw a dream, and that was such an amazing one, I wanted to write it. So, I wrote about it on word and when it was completed, I posted it here chapter by chapter.
I was so arrogant that I didn't even write a synopsis. I just wrote that it is written by me and that it's not for kids. And, well. I was really expecting people to get intimidated by my confidence like they show in movies. The dream of making millions was almost within my reach, till I decided one day to read my work and got cringed so hard I deleted the hell out of it. I still want to write it but romance is more difficult than I thought.
Very, I thought that if my story was original enough and I had sex and fight scenes, I could make a story that everybody loves and as a decent living off m works cause why not, well life had other plans for me as soon as I started my first fic and soon deleted them all when I despised the things that I made and had to rework and workshop a lot of my works that'll probably never see the light of day.

LillyanaKabal

Very, I thought that if my story was original enough and I had sex and fight scenes, I could make a story that everybody loves and as a decent living off m works cause why not, well life had other plans for me as soon as I started my first fic and soon deleted them all when I despised the things that I made and had to rework and workshop a lot of my works that'll probably never see the light of day.

Never delete stuff you dislike. I've got a few fics that I thoroughly loathe, posted here for other people. Because my opinions are biased.

Ymadthepirate

Professional Bitch Faggot in da house
I wasn't arrogant my friend was he owned the account at first so he would force me to make more episodes of the pirate captain he thought that it will get so big it will become a full blown tv show and get million and millions of views and we will be rich, then by episode 4 he wanted me to work with this one dude who wanted to add dragons and magic into the world to increase our views. I refused he went into a blind rage so when he wasn't looking I changed the password, he found out and got mad at me, we nearly got into a school fight, but the teacher solved it and said I owned the account and he can make his own, to make matters better he wanted me to make this acc in my email cause he didn't want it to spam his email which is stupid cause he said he owned me and the acc when it legally was mine.

My friend was arrogant, I just wanted to make a book about pirates.

SirRebal

I wasn't arrogant my friend was he owned the account at first so he would force me to make more episodes of the pirate captain he thought that it will get so big it will become a full blown tv show and get million and millions of views and we will be rich, then by episode 4 he wanted me to work with this one dude who wanted to add dragons and magic into the world to increase our views. I refused he went into a blind rage so when he wasn't looking I changed the password, he found out and got mad at me, we nearly got into a school fight, but the teacher solved it and said I owned the account and he can make his own, to make matters better he wanted me to make this acc in my email cause he didn't want it to spam his email which is stupid cause he said he owned me and the acc when it legally was mine.

My friend was arrogant, I just wanted to make a book about pirates.
I mean, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but what are the chances of something like that happening? I just wanted to try out writing for a bit to share some ideas I had with others xD.

DanLane

Personally, I'm still astounded that other people want to read the stuff I write. It's pulp, but it's not especially super awesome change the world of writing epic masterpiece level of writing. At best, it's a fun little popcorn book that you gobble up. Not especially filling, but kinda fun.

That's probably arrogant enough, thinking that it's not especially awful and might even be enjoyable.

Maybe after a few years, my pride will have settled down to pond scum levels and I can look at my work objectively and see it for the crap it is. *grin* But, till then, I will live in blissful ignorance of just how pond scummy my prose is, and write more zombie slaughtering fun with the semi- autist scientist and his loyal nanites adventuring through the space station and beyond!

E.J.Burgess

And, well, please tell me I am not alone
I didn’t know it was possible for writers to be arrogant about their own work. I thought we were all plagued something awful by imposter syndrome, buuut I guess I was mistaken lol

Agentt

Thighs
I didn’t know it was possible for writers to be arrogant about their own work. I thought we were all plagued something awful by imposter syndrome, buuut I guess I was mistaken lol
The imposter syndrome sets in when you see authors newer than you get on trending. But arrogance sets in when you think readers will give you 5 stars just because it's an isekai

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
The imposter syndrome sets in when you see authors newer than you get on trending. But arrogance sets in when you think readers will give you 5 stars just because it's an isekai
I've seen good writing get buried (stuff I find intuitive and smart) and utter crap become movies (think 50 shades, twilight) simply because people do enjoy crap. I even have to admit I enjoy crappy video games and power trip chinese stories from time to time, so it's less about being profound or good and more about "how can I get wide appeal."

Also, I'm not arrogant at all when it comes to my own writing. I personally might like it, but I know what I like doesn't necessarily mean others will like it. An example is a "Gary Stu protagonist" which most audiences hate but I find it's fun if done a specific way.

D

Deleted member 70892

Same...

aimless

Wanderer of Forums
How did you not cringe whilst proofreading?
I’ll write, proofread and think it’s kinda cringe, and then when I post it I immediately want to delete my entire book and pretend it never happened