how big of a creature can you kill without entering into illegal territory?

Yorth

Swordman
I can kill an ant without going to jail, but will that stay the same for when I gun down a dog in the streets? Let's see how large can we get in our murdering spree without having the feds knocking on our doors.

PS: Use whatever laws u live by or are familiar with in this thought experiment.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Well, illegal territory is wide. If the dog has an owner, that would already count as damaging that person's property so it'd be illegal. Even if it doesn't have an owner, it'd fall under the laws regarding animal cruelty so it'd be illegal as well. I don't know these laws very well though so no idea for what kind of animal they would be applicable and what wouldn't be protected by that.

Mejiro

Depends on place and stuff - killing a wild animal in the wilderness, throughout most of history? No-one cares. But killing a deer on the estate of the local lord could be a hanging offence, or get you deported to Australia. Some countries, there's enough strays that finding an unowned animal is pretty easy, so if you tidy up the body, no-one's going to know. But steal a pet, and someone's going to notice, steal enough pets, you will eventually get caught.

Elerya

As a Human Player in the North America server bears or moose are probably going to have to be some of the largest opponents in the terrestrial class excluding opponents in the Europe-Africa-Asia mega-server.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
If you gun down a dog on the streets, you'd most likely be arrested for weapons possession. Does that count?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
If you gun down a dog on the streets, you'd most likely be arrested for weapons possession. Does that count?
You either live in Australia or canada then? I doubt you live in the china or japan region.

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide
Become a vet for a zoo containing the largest exotic animals. You may have to euthanize one at any time to ease suffering, or other reasons. Covers quite a bit.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
...frankly, no matter how big if proven to be self defense.

So if lets say if something fucked up happen with my neighbor's pet tiger decides to snack at me, I can unload a full mag into it with no issue.

Llamadragon

Everything is legal to kill if it's an accident or self defense.

Everything can also be shot with a hunting and gun license and adherence to regulations. I think the only creatures that absolutely can never be legally killed here (aside possibly for mercy killings?) are those in the whale family. That said, actually getting permission from the law of my country to kill, for example, the redlisted wolves? That's tricky due to some really hazy laws. Some farmers who shot wolves that attacked their livestock for example, were freed because they protected their interest. But other farmers got sentenced to punishment harder than some first degree murderers got. And yet, there is a yearly quota of wolves that can be hunted and hunters can apply to wolf hunts within thaty legal window.

That said, there is *some* hunting done to most large animals in my country. You just need permission and follow regulations, and there is a national quota that can't be overstepped. Moose can be hunted for sure. It might be strictly illegal to hunt visents and musk ox, since there's so few of them. But I bet you that if a visent bull charged a hunter who didn't intend to disturb it, he could shoot it in self defense and be freed in court after the investigation.

Llamadragon

If we're talking about killing animals you don't own, without a weapons license and hunting rights? It probably stops at rabbits.

Dogs can definitely not be shot in the streets. It can be done by livestock owners on the premise that the dog is harming their animals, and it is legal if the dog is attacking a person. Otherwise, no way you could just do something like that legally. Gun laws here are very strict.