How can a character use wings on combat?

pelpelen

I was going to write a fight scene where the Mc was going to reveal his wings but they didn't seem to have a use other than flying.
And what i mean by attacks aren't just magic attacks like making powerful gusts of wind when flapped but more on the direct offence and defence like cutting with them and using them as a shield.

D

Deleted member 93348

If broken, have them take their wings and learn to fly again. Learn to live so free, as they say.

Daitengu

The realistic answer is maneuvering for quick in and out attacks. Only magic wings can be used to block with. Then again a lot of fantasy winged beings have to be using magic of some sort to fly as they usually don't have the size or muscle mass to support flight. Birds have hollow bones for a reason.

Tempokai

Overworked One
If the wings are strong enough, as a low level shield.
If wings are large enough then as a distraction.
And last, if the wings pointy enough, then as a hidden weapon.

Lorelliad

creating magic in a magic-less world 🪄
Use them to create wind gusts that blow away enemy attacks

Otjag

You could use them to push enemies away and create some space, though that's a risky move depending on how strong the wings are and which weapons the opponent uses.

Kouneko

I was going to write a fight scene where the Mc was going to reveal his wings but they didn't seem to have a use other than flying.
And what i mean by attacks aren't just magic attacks like making powerful gusts of wind when flapped but more on the direct offence and defence like cutting with them and using them as a shield.
That is the neat part you don't, wings are fragil, sensible, any impact there will likely throw you off balance and mostly all damage will compromise is ability to fly, unless is made of adamantine or any super resistance lightweight material, what u can do is use it mobility, gain or close space, reposition, dodge attacks or increase yours attacks effectivity, and wings also open the legendary third dimension of space with in a battle is game changer, just remember why air craft was revolutionary when it was introduced in wars irl.
In short to a wingman most likely will favor spear like weapons and ranged weapons and attacks depending on it stability in flight and flight time

Last edited:

Echimera

Depending on their resilience, structure and regeneration, there are a number of options:
  • If they are strong enough to take hits, the wings can be used as a shield
  • Feathers from a hard material could be sharp enough to cut and be used as blades
  • A fast regeneration of the feathers or specialized feathers not needed for flight could be used as projectiles, especially if they are made from some hard material

TotallyHuman

I loved the Vulture from the game Spiderman Web Of Shadows the most because of his badass design. He used his feathers as throwing knives with rocket propellers which was super sick.

Aefener

The protagonist of my novel Draconia Offline actually has huge angelic wings so I guess I have some experience on the matter I can share. I was trying to make it as realistic as possible (even though it's still pure fantasy) so his wingspan is 7.2 metres. I looked up some resources and discussions on the topic and this size seemed to be somehow agreeable. He also has hollow bones.

As for answering your question how to use wings during combat, my protagonist is a magic caster and he uses his wings to manoeuvre in order to avoid attacks and cast spells from afar. He often utilises air magic so that he can fly faster, create air currents and air blasts. He would never use his wings as a shield, though. They are real limbs so injuring them hurts and being unable to fly puts him at huge risk. BTW: He can't hide his wings for the sake of convenience, they are made of real bones, muscles and feathers.

LesserSarcasm

As a weapon ( offensive and defensive) as a flight tool, as storage as a manoeuvrability / stability aid, i think thats the the 4 main purposes of all wings

Sayu

Eugh eig
Use their wings as a get off me tool by making them push the wings out.

Make them hold the enemy in place, in boxing terms, a clench, and either shoot magic at them while vulnerable or throw them charizard seismic toss style.

Wing beach slap

If wing hard shoot at the eneny like a meteor and cut their limbs with the sharp wings.

A combo assisted with the wings by acting as guards when being attacked and tools to blind the enemy.

Cover enemy view

Hold the enemy's back as you viciously drill your fist into the back

Suffocation

Ridley upair

Charizard up tilt

Corrin bair

Ridley up tilt

Rip off feathers throw it like a kunai

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
In order to maintain flight, wings have to be able to lift an excessive amount of weight. Other than that, they're essentially normal limbs covered in feathers.

So imagine arms, but very sensitive, capable of lifting an entire person(that's a lot of power) and without a way to hold tools.

Punches, slaps, jabs, sweeps, grapples, pushes and shoves. If you're having a hard time, think: "What would a goose do?"

But remember that geese don't have hands, and hands are often far more efficient. The only time you should be using wings is if it's more convenient than using hands or even feet. Like if you're holding something, restrained, or trying to catch the enemy by surprise. Also keep in mind that either your feet or your wings need to be locked into maintaining your stance. Either you fly and have the option of kicking, or you stand and have the option of wing attacks.

I literally have nothing to add here.
But every time I come here to this post, my mind just thinks of literal chicken wings.
Now I'm hungry and slightly confused how a fight sequence would work if the person had chicken wings instead of actual functioning wings.

Would the person rip them off to use as a club or take a bite to heal himself?
Is it oily? If so would the oil be considered a poison attack if they flapped there wings?
Would the person fighting the Chicken Wing guy, take bite in the middle of the fight?
If enough bites are taken, would the wings become bone wings and function as a slashing weapon instead?

Man I want to eat some chicken...

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
If they are biological rather than magical, you want to keep in mind that they are relatively fragile, though with a lot of muscle behind them. You don't want to risk them if at all possible, so your direct combat usage of them should be limited to pummeling the enemy from the sides while you have their weapon locked in place with your own, or have disarmed them. Strikes from the wings of certain birds IRL can shatter bones, so there is a lot of force potential there, though you would need to be aware of the possibility of striking hard enough to break the wings too.

Indirect application is where wings shine. Use a long spear and dive feet-first at the enemy, bracing the spear with your feet and using the enemy to break your fall. It is very hard to defend against a piercing attack from above, especially if you don't have a shield. Likewise, you can jerk open wings backward to provide a boost in forward movement for a very rapid lunge, also adding force for a piercing attack. The opposite is also an option, allowing a backwards dodge at vastly higher speeds than most would expect, allowing rapid disengagement, potentially even allowing you to pretend to meet a strong blow only to dodge back at the last instant, causing an opponent to overbalance and make themselves highly vulnerable to a followup strike. Said followup could be assisted with using the wings to lunge forward again, as well.

Additionally, keep in mind that using wings costs a great deal of energy compared to legs, so overuse would rapidly exhaust someone. That said, they are also great for rapid transit across the battlefield, thus being a huge boon to healers/medics by allowing them to reach wounded much more rapidly, and bypassing ground-based threats.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I need details about the wings.

Bat wings could come with claws.
Wings made of metal could shoot a storm of razor sharp feathers.
Wings made of fire could burn

Really, if you are going to ask for tactical advice, include way more details.

For example, does he have 4 limbs or 6? DESCRIBE THE CHARACTER, ORIGIN, TECHNOLOGY LEVEL, MAGIC LEVEL, GENRE, TONE...

Seriously, tactics requires information. What is the combat scenario? What is he fighting? Outdoors, underground, in a corridor, does he have allies? Does he have time to prepare? What logiayical resources does he have at his disposal?

What does he do with his wings? He has a million eyes open up on the wings and they all shoot forth rays of pure hatred that turn the enemies into smoldering piles of regret.

How about that? Does that fit? No? Well if you want useful advice don't be vague.

pelpelen

I need details about the wings.

Bat wings could come with claws.
Wings made of metal could shoot a storm of razor sharp feathers.
Wings made of fire could burn

Really, if you are going to ask for tactical advice, include way more details.

For example, does he have 4 limbs or 6? DESCRIBE THE CHARACTER, ORIGIN, TECHNOLOGY LEVEL, MAGIC LEVEL, GENRE, TONE...

Seriously, tactics requires information. What is the combat scenario? What is he fighting? Outdoors, underground, in a corridor, does he have allies? Does he have time to prepare? What logiayical resources does he have at his disposal?

What does he do with his wings? He has a million eyes open up on the wings and they all shoot forth rays of pure hatred that turn the enemies into smoldering piles of regret.

How about that? Does that fit? No? Well if you want useful advice don't be vague.
Okay, that was a mistake on my part.
Since i wanted to prepare beforehand i didn't have any solid ideas so i was a bit vauge.

They are crow wings that are partially flesh and bones and partially made out of mana so they have high mana conductivity and that's how the wings can support a human body, with the aid of mana.
The fight is a 1v1 in a closed space. So something like a colosseum.
And the character doesn't have any special traits other than the wings and fights with a sword and a bow