How difficult: writing while studying or working

Pistachio

I'm starting work next week so I was wondering how difficult it is for those who are writing and working/studying at the same time. Is it difficult finding the time to write and update? Have you experienced putting off writing due to real life priorities?

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
At least for studying, I think this totally depends on what/where you study. I was studying full-time, doing some other courses outside of university and working part-time for a few hours a week and still had enough time to write. I still managed to finish my undergraduate studies with good grades and am almost through my master's program. Other than for a few days before big presentations or something like that, I've never had to put off writing and that was more due to me not starting with preparing that type of stuff early enough so I had to work non-stop on it for those days. :blob_sweat:

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
I find time during coffee breaks, sometimes in between work hahaha (do not imitate). Write things in my phone's notepad whenever an idea comes and later fix them at home.

Owl

Nervous writer
Depends on how often and much you update. I like writing to relax after work, but I don't want the stress of having to upload in case I have a troublesome week. It would be good to have stockpiles and maybe schedule chapters to get writing out of your head in case your work is too overwhelming :D

Ninetailed_Furball

If you're talking about writing while holding a full-time job/studies, then it's a bit difficult. At the very least, I find that I don't have much spare time between writing and working, but my story needs a lot of time invested in it in terms of research, checking consistency, and straight out planning.

That said, I still find time to write random other stuff on the bus and during breaks. You can actually get a lot done if you plan out your time well, and I probably get something like 15-20k words down, and I still have time to screw around with friends here and there.

awake1122

Depending on the job, it can be easier or harder. I work at a goodwill donation center, and most of the work is waiting for people to come in and donate. This means I have the free time in between to say write on my phone or study a textbook while waiting. Granted on the busy days, I don't have a moment where I can stop moving as people are constantly coming to donate. Then again rainy days are amazing days where an 8 hour shift might only see like 10 people.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
On busy days, it's only eating and sleeping after work. No energy left for writing or personal stuff.

On other days, I could have gone to work after sleeping in and they wouldn't have missed me :blob_awkward: With this surplus of energy, I can write for 2 to 3 hours after work (though I'm so slow, that it's not much of text in the end :blob_whistle_two:)

Even if work hours are long, as long as I want to, I can still somewhat squeeze out time to write. Where there's a will, there's a way!

Kotohood

Noob Author
It's tough for me. Cause I got other things I want to do other than writing as well and with the free time you have you can only do so much. (I wanna play game)

I'll usually take breaks during lunch/bus trips/etc to edit and proofread while taking the time of the night or one of the weekends to write up new chapters/do research.

That's why my release schedule is very far in between. I can tell you definitely won't be doing 4k word releases everyday that's for sure.

mrsimple

Writer
This is a bit unorthodox, but if you lose your sanity, writing is a blast! Last year, I was like, "Who needs sleep?" :blob_blank:

Although, look forward to running into walls whenever ya pass out on your feet. I've done it a few times while working my twelve hour shift. Fun times... Oh, and by the way, writing and studying go hand-in-hand. Ya gotta research your stuff if ya wanna write something for the reader to be fully immersed. Otherwise, some readers are gonna be wondering why some things don't quite add up to what they've experienced first-hand, ya know? :blob_neutral:

But honestly, when it comes to what has been my biggest burden, it has been my worsening condition. I'm at the point where I can no longer read, let alone write, without the explosive pressure in my head becoming unbearable. I have to repeatedly return to bed and rest before I can go for round two with my visual attempts at what is up on my monitor. I am so damn glad ScribbleHub and Royal Road have dark themed backgrounds, but it's still incredibly difficult for me to read through this cloudy vision. :blob_frown:

steve2116

I write as a way to destress so to study/work while writing goes hand in hand for me. As long as you don't have a schedule or have plenty stockpiled like others have said it should be no problem.

hueyhare

I work full time and have two toddlers. And yes, I do put off writing sometimes for my other responsibilities. My best advice for keeping the word count climbing is setting aside part of your day, even if it's just an hour, and use that time to write every day. For me, that time is 5AM, while everyone else is still asleep. It sucks sometimes, but I want to finish my story, so I keep plugging away. Some days you might get a hundred words done, other days you might get 1000, but if you do it consistently you'll form a habit and be able to keep up the momentum.

Also, as others have suggested, definitely build up a buffer before you start releasing (if you haven't already). My current buffer is around 14 chapters. It helps me know that if I get sick and can't think for a day or two, I still won't miss the deadlines I've set for myself. A buffer is also helpful if you plan to do a Patreon since early release chapters are a good donation incentive.

sak-chii

Professional Procrastinator (Writer)
I'm starting work next week so I was wondering how difficult it is for those who are writing and working/studying at the same time. Is it difficult finding the time to write and update? Have you experienced putting off writing due to real life priorities?

It would be hard if your work is full day and you have to travel long distance home then cook yourself food. All these will took on your stamina to write.

For me, I have been off writing for 6 months due to my internship. Gonna have to start writing again on 2 Sep. But may be slow as I also have to take care of my fishes with their cleaning and also cuz my class will start soon after a short break from internship

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
It depends on your work or school. I have a full schedule (even as a senior) of AP and college classes, so I can only write in my short break times or in the few free hours I have from studying on the weekends. Luckily, I type fast, so I can get some stuff done, but this is only the first week of school and I'm busy. Updating daily is but a dream, the best scenario would be to update weekly.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
I would usually find an hour before sleeping to write some things. Well, when you lose motivation to write for a while it feels impossible though

MrDarkness1234

Dark Matter of All Evil
Well It took me about 6 weeks just to know what to write then putting it on with not enough time due to a lot work outside so advice just learn more about how your going to write it and find some time (btw can someone read my first book Riftela: a Beginning of a lifetime(Book 1)

CrispyNoodle

Eh its just all about managing your time well is all. For example making rough outlines on your break and lunch time then do real writing when you're done with everything else. That's basically it really... At least, that's how I usually do it. Although... I'm so swamped with stuff that I get too lazy to write at the end of the day a lot of the times lelel

Jemini

Personally, I find that my brain simply works better when I'm writing while also studying. Working though has an opposite effect. Working tires out the brain.

So far as time goes, yeah, I developed a schedule of taking a 1 week haitus every time I had mid-terms or finals. For work, it really depends on exactly what it is that you do.

TwilightForest

Being myself
This is a bit unorthodox, but if you lose your sanity, writing is a blast! Last year, I was like, "Who needs sleep?" :blob_blank:

Although, look forward to running into walls whenever ya pass out on your feet. I've done it a few times while working my twelve hour shift. Fun times... Oh, and by the way, writing and studying go hand-in-hand. Ya gotta research your stuff if ya wanna write something for the reader to be fully immersed. Otherwise, some readers are gonna be wondering why some things don't quite add up to what they've experienced first-hand, ya know? :blob_neutral:

But honestly, when it comes to what has been my biggest burden, it has been my worsening condition. I'm at the point where I can no longer read, let alone write, without the explosive pressure in my head becoming unbearable. I have to repeatedly return to bed and rest before I can go for round two with my visual attempts at what is up on my monitor. I am so damn glad ScribbleHub and Royal Road have dark themed backgrounds, but it's still incredibly difficult for me to read through this cloudy vision. :blob_frown:
Take it a bit slower and take care, Simple! There are points of no return when it comes to worsening your health and it would be a pity to lose the writing skill of someone like you.

for me, it's a good way to blow off steam during break time at work.

Andro

Writting while you are working is not easy. I mean, like in my case, I have always the best ideas when I'm working and I have no time or a chance to write it down! It can be so frustrating! And sometimes, when I have time to read, I just can't because I have no ideas or inspiration. I think a lots of you know what I mean.