How do I determine if my novel is good or bad?

D-839

Hi guys, I literally just started writing 6 days ago, last time I wrote more than 500 words in a single instant was more than 10 years ago lmao. I was hoping to understand if there's any sort of benchmark or threshold that exists to determine it. I posted my novel on scribble like 5 days ago IIRC, it has like 54 readers and like 3.7k views. It's some form of litrpg(i think).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

SailusGebel

I'm not really sure, it's my first week in this author thing, like the view to reader ratio or something along that line?

That is true. Thanks!
You can start your definition by looking at other novels. In your opinion, what makes a novel that you read a good or a bad novel? After doing this, try to compare it with how your novel is, and that's your answer.

BlackKnightX

Look out for the comments and reviews. Take it with a grain of salt, though. I’d assume before you became a writer, you were a reader yourself, weren‘t you? So, you must have your own judgment of what a good novel is like. Trust yourself and your own judgment. Do listen to the critics, but the final judge is you.

D-839

I really appreciate your comments everyone! Thanks alot, I'm trying to get different perspectives as I'm quite a blind reader. I do trust in my own judgement but I don't really trust my brain. :blob_highfive:

Daitengu

There are only two metrics to a web novel to define it as good.
1. You like it.
2. The readers like it.

Question is: Are you writing for your self, or are you writing pop fiction?

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Hi guys, I literally just started writing 6 days ago, last time I wrote more than 500 words in a single instant was more than 10 years ago lmao. I was hoping to understand if there's any sort of benchmark or threshold that exists to determine it. I posted my novel on scribble like 5 days ago IIRC, it has like 54 readers and like 3.7k views. It's some form of litrpg(i think).

Thanks in advance!
this answers the question
unknown-3.png

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I'm the same as you. I don't read a lot, so I have no idea what's good writing.

I recommend you some things:
- Write a story without concern of doing good or bad. Instead, just strive to write as good as you can. You must tolerate that parts will be shit while you're still blind to it. So aim for a short story to train if you can.
- Read OokamiKasumi's tutorials
- Get an editor for feedbacks

You'll get better as you write, and you'll start to see things you could do differently.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
Can probably measure (some of it at least) it in terms of reader enjoyment. I read a whole series of what I considered seriously bad writing and really enjoyed it. Much to my disgust. I mean, I read one book, went :blob_dizzy: and then paid for the other three! And went :blob_dizzy: :mad_s:. Cliched badly- researched caricatures -sorry characters - rubbish and laughable 'plot' and cringeworthy (virgin) sex. And I still read it.
The author clearly loved her own work, and it showed. And therefore her readers loved it. That sadly included me.
But then, I tried to read something else along similar lines and would have happily torn the thing up, soaked it in petrol, stuffed it down the woman's throat and lit it. Couldn't tell you what the difference was. I liked one and hated the other, that's all

Mortrexo

It is very important to target an audience. A very good example of this is "A perverts world". The author doesn't care about the "mainstream" public and created a story full of NTR, and his novel blew.

My novel is targeted at people that want fluffy heartwarming romance with some action from time to time. Moreover, the most important thing is that you must like your own novel. So a good novel, in my opinion, is a novel that targets an audience and fulfills their carvings.

Akasora

As long as your story is internally consistent, a decent readable grammar and showing in stead of telling, it can be considered good by scribblehub standard.

Feanor

Determining the quality of your novel through statistics is not a good idea, IMO. I've seen great stories with humble numbers and quite shitty ones with astonishing seven-digit views/likes. I try to write something in a way that makes me feel proud of my work. If instead I feel embarassed of what I wrote, then something is wrong. I also try to avoid clichés and overused tropes as much as I can, but that cannot be avoided all the time. Maybe if you focus on the pleasure of writing and that alone, you'll feel a lot happier with your creations. Success can be a bitch sometimes. Imagine writing a kick-ass awesome novel just to find out the most stupid harem/isekai/OP MC/transmigration/cultivation novel is #1 in every website. That's the life of an author.

Anyway, good luck and share your novel with us (if this forum allows).

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□

Thanks in advance!
Well there isn't really anything to determine it. You might want to find another author or someone else to look at it and give you feedback. Truthfully though if you like you're book than it's probably good. Sometimes people just trash talk their work and it isn't the best for self confidence so if you want to get better make your writing how you like it

PancakesWitch

depends on your aim, if you want to profit from it or not, it can be determined good or bad based in your target audience's preferences. but if you're doing it just because you enjoy it, and you're having a blast writing whatever you want, then it is a good book for me, tbh

Closeranemone48

Thanks in advance!
How to determine(you in specific), is your novel on my very expansive reading list? Yes. Yes it is.