How do I make #21 on trending but get LESS views?

Jemini

wait a fucking second. they went down? like, from a hypothetical 7890 views to 7889 views? that kind of go down?

well shit if that's the case then it's some voodoo shit. i ain't ever seen numbers go the fuck down, much less on TRENDING.

you sure this isn't some personal mandela effect?

No, I am not getting negative view-counts. I'm talking I would normally have 50 views by the point in the day when I first posted this thread. That is, on every non-posting day I would have pulled in that kind of a view count. However, for today I somehow had only around 15. And this is a day I was on trending. As in, I am getting fewer views than I normally get, and the only thing different about today from any other day is the fact that I'm #21 on trending, which is something you should think might have the opposite effect if any at all.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
No, I am not getting negative view-counts. I'm talking I would normally have 50 views by the point in the day when I first posted this thread. That is, on every non-posting day I would have pulled in that kind of a view count. However, for today I somehow had only around 15. And this is a day I was on trending. As in, I am getting fewer views than I normally get, and the only thing different about today from any other day is the fact that I'm #21 on trending, which is something you should think might have the opposite effect if any at all.
Well, I'm just gonna harken back to my original statement. Trending tab's broken yo. OR, it's just working as intended, and somehow everyone else is having a worse rut than you

SailusGebel

Perhaps there was an influx of views on the different novels that had an upper placement on trending? For example, a few relatively new novels hit 1-10 place in trending. Thus you got fewer views as people went to check those 'new' novels. Or, for example, a new novel started mass releasing. If it's the first time a thing like that happened, you got unlucky, I think.

UnratedX

you are asking authors a question of readers. majority of whom are not on the forums. you are better off to CHILL not post about LESS views- KEEP CALM and CARRY ON WRITING

Jemini

you are asking authors a question of readers. majority of whom are not on the forums. you are better off to CHILL not post about LESS views- KEEP CALM and CARRY ON WRITING

Mostly, I just thought it was a funny and strange phenomenon. So, I decided to bring it up. Because it's strange.

It's not like posting about it is going to change anything. (Well, technically it will because it brings attention to the novel since the novel is the subject.) About the only reason I got even a little heated here is because Ben up there kept misunderstanding what I was talking about. (1st 3 responses in the thread were literally all I was looking for in posting this. People chuckling and rolling eyes about this going "well, that's strange, huh?"

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I do not believe it counts only views.

from my observations, it feels like at least two more statistics are present in the calculation. and only one of them (most likely favourites) is correlated with a pageview spike.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
i've never used the trending tab to find something to read. I don't even know what kinda of person would use it. Just check the tags you like and see if anything new pops up.
Most of them are click baity which gives them views. And a story about a self insert right now is number 1 so. . .

LostLibrarian

There are two points to that. (1) Trending uses a lot of metrics for your and other novels, so you won't be able to reproduce your placement just by posting another chapter.

And as many said "#21 on trending" is like every other day. So your question more or less is just "I had one day during the life of my novel, where I had less views than normal". So, yeah, it happens.

We are talking about a (few) hundred views for a novel with a thousand readers. It easily falls under the normal fluctuation of readers. My "month-into-hiatus"-novels had days where it made still the hundred views. Without any chapters in month.

So if we aren't talking drops in general (like from 500 daily readers to 100 daily readers for a long time), this is just a bit of background noise fluctuation. Maybe there was a holiday in one of the countries a lot of your readers come from. Maybe there was an event (like olympics, sports, etc) where people tuned in. Maybe some people just didn't care to open SH at all.

If we take out the highest and lowest points and look at the middle, you have between 150 and 300 daily views. So those fluctuations seem to be just as normal for your story, when we talk about "15 instead of 50 at that time"...