Writing How do the aspects of yourself affect how you create stories?

PieCoNsUmEr

The Fisher Dragun
I am fairly creative, I can think of cool monsters, awesome powers, epic events, but I can’t put my ideas properly to page.
What usually happens: reading something “Yeah, that’s fine, but what if instead, the character did this, and earlier in the story this happened, this is a cool set piece I could write it into the story, and I think this power is often underused in other stories, yeah and this is overused, this is a cool area for my character to explore, my character should take this path cause most others take that one.” So I build part of a world, and some events for a story, all shiny and unique, then comes the hard part, starting. 60% percent of my stories die here, I need to get the environment right, the hook nice and strong, harder still word mass.
Then comes a part I haven’t passed yet, write more. My focus is very fleeting, I can be in the mood to write, miss the chance, and not be in the mood again for a week. Another piece is consistency, if I’m writing when I don’t want to it will feel different, or if I’m trying to make a consistent mood but my sloppy writing can’t convey one, when you write on story’s in parts you’re expected to release on a schedule.
Inside my stories there’s basically no aspect I’m decent at. I need to learn to established rules, write with those rules, add more rules, build off of them. I need learn how to properly cut sentences, because I write kind of like I talk, on and on with few breaks, ideas melded together rather than properly separated, the biggest difference between I write and talk, is that there’s no ums where I forget what I was going to say, or pauses of me trying to think up the right word. I also need to learn to change the mood of what I edit/add to my writing, (as you can probably notice while read this) so it doesn’t end up jumbled. My biggest flaw is lack of experience, when my ideas aren’t satisfiedily translated, I get discouraged, and then I stop, I don’t retry, and I don’t continue anyways. That’s the piece of me I need to change the most if want my stories to be told, I need to suck up my struggles and keep trying.
My ADHD is my biggest helper, and biggest restrictor, it gives me the creativity build worlds, but the unfocused energy from it essentially starts me off with scattered building blocks. So I have the resources, and just need to keep going.

Just write how parts of you affect your stories. You don’t have to be an author to post. (I myself am no really an author.)
(PS: Sorry about that mess above, I just really suck at properly translating my opinion.)

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I am fairly creative, I can think of cool monsters, awesome powers, epic events, but I can’t put my ideas properly to page.
What usually happens: reading something “Yeah, that’s fine, but what if instead, the character did this, and earlier in the story this happened, this is a cool set piece I could write it into the story, and I think this power is often underused in other stories, yeah and this is overused, this is a cool area for my character to explore, my character should take this path cause most others take that one.” So I build part of a world, and some events for a story, all shiny and unique, then comes the hard part, starting. 60% percent of my stories die here, I need to get the environment right, the hook nice and strong, harder still word mass.
Then comes a part I haven’t passed yet, write more. My focus is very fleeting, I can be in the mood to write, miss the chance, and not be in the mood again for a week. Another piece is consistency, if I’m writing when I don’t want to it will feel different, or if I’m trying to make a consistent mood but my sloppy writing can’t convey one, when you write on story’s in parts you’re expected to release on a schedule.
Inside my stories there’s basically no aspect I’m decent at. I need to learn to established rules, write with those rules, add more rules, build off of them. I need learn how to properly cut sentences, because I write kind of like I talk, on and on with few breaks, ideas melded together rather than properly separated, the biggest difference between I write and talk, is that there’s no ums where I forget what I was going to say, or pauses of me trying to think up the right word. I also need to learn to change the mood of what I edit/add to my writing, (as you can probably notice while read this) so it doesn’t end up jumbled. My biggest flaw is lack of experience, when my ideas aren’t satisfiedily translated, I get discouraged, and then I stop, I don’t retry, and I don’t continue anyways. That’s the piece of me I need to change the most if want my stories to be told, I need to suck up my struggles and keep trying.
My ADHD is my biggest helper, and biggest restrictor, it gives me the creativity build worlds, but the unfocused energy from it essentially starts me off with scattered building blocks. So I have the resources, and just need to keep going.

Just write how parts of you affect your stories. You don’t have to be an author to post. (I myself am no really an author.)
(PS: Sorry about that mess above, I just really suck at properly translating my opinion.)
It’s completely fine. I can completely agree with your first statement, about wanting to change the course of a book one way or another. And also painfully relate with the struggling of writing. I’ve started so many different stories and dropped every single one of them. Not because I hate them but continuing a story in a world with large holes is impossible.

And yet today I’m at chapter 14 at a meh novel I started two-three months ago. And I have plans to finish it. Of course I have problems with grammar and structures but you know what? My first book won’t be the best. So I’ll do a test trail! You should too. I think the best thing about SH is it gives you the chance to try. It isn’t as suspicious as webnovel or as cursed as wattpad, nor as harsh as royalroad. It’s for us who support each other since we can relate.

So if you want to truly write, whether as a hobby or a job, I’d say go for it. Don’t let your inexperience stop you. Make experience then. Study how to write sentences and grammar by copying your favorite book, word for word. Good luck with writing!

Hazy-mist12

well same here bruh, I'm also an aspiring author and this is one of my problems....so you should try to put the main events for the story to a notepad....as for the characters try putting their attitude, personality, views and mindset to the notepad...then imagine yourself being the mc, what would you do at that situation and how to resolve the problems through mc's mindset....you shouldn't make it to detailed yet.....just put the idea first then put the dialogue, internal thoughts or decision made after that instance..
for ex.
mc killed best friend...
then mc killed lover....
then mc walked away....
then mc disguise himself....

about the dialogue that im saying or thoughts then make it....
mc: why? you're my best friend! I trusted you! why did you betray me!
best friend: chu chu chu 'dunno he's just explaining about his mindset like a typical villain'.
mc: and you! why did you also betrayed me! I loved you very much!
mc: 'mc's flash back about their love'.
'after reminiscing the past mc came to a decision to kill her'
mc: *eyes became cold and ruthless staring at gf* I'll kill you too, don't worry it would be fast so that you wouldn't feel the pain.
then after that, mc walked away with a solemn expression...thinking about his next plan...
mc: hmm...I should put a disguise to myself, lest someone saw my appearance....
then mc thinks about his plans next

....so yeah you should just first put dots then connect it with a line

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I have to hold my nipple in my baby's mouth for multiple hours a day, so I have learned to type with one hand. However, I have also taken a hiatus from my main story because I don't feel I have the right energy to devote to it at the moment. Instead, I have been writing lots of parodies about breastfeeding and childbirth, which can be found in my "Lewd Poems" collection.

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
I prefer to think of myself simply. I don't like to let my brain run ahead of itself so to speak. When I do things, I don't try and act smart about it. Modesty, humility and empathy are things I think are important. It affects a lot of my writing. I don't find myself laying out fantastic events or describing power levels. My characters fit into archetypes, but the edges are softened on them so to speak. There's enough there to recognize. Not enough to typecast. The situations and problems they deal with tend to be combinations of sober problems and fantastical settings. I personally dislike writing power fantasy or wis fulfillment prose. I'm always trying to humanize and ground my stories to be relatable. The jury is still out on that. I was raised simply and traditionally so I'd say that colors a lot of my fiction most of all.

longer

Balls
My characters are almost locked into having a similar sense of humor as mine. It's not as though I'm a shut in that doesn't talk to people, well at least before Covid, but I struggle to consistently come up with good jokes that fall outside my own field of expertise. And while such a thing is only natural, it can be disappointing to see a cast of characters from various backgrounds conform to shitposting zoomer humor.

D

Deleted member 45782

I often daydream and can think of the worst scenarios or the wholesome funny happy scenarios, both which tend fall in the more unrealistic places. Tend to self-insert into story/scenario until where if continue on, the mc will suffer, and thus, since do not want to become the mc, slowly disassociate and make it into new character, give it some different personality traits and background bits here and there until it becomes its own interesting character and story. Sorta like thinking of a story in 1st point of view first, then slowly transition into 3rd point of view. Write more often when in gloomy mood. Wholesome fluffy scenarios usually just stay as a short story in head. Have a habit of thinking ghost story ideas at night; even thu would feel creeped out by horror genres. Undecisive. Cannot fully concentrate on some things, even though they are priorities. There are times want be creative and there are times where want to set it aside; but when want to be creative, reminded of priorities; when trying focus on priorities, just feeling stuck or itching do something creatively fun. Perfectionism or sloppy; always think of either go big or go home, thu again, know its unrealistic and everything starts in stages. Cannot decide how story will progress or plotholes? Stop and put it aside another day to make it better; how often come back to revisit it is a different story. My creativity is a spark. Maybe an idea will sprout up here and there, but I don't really find myself in the writing mood. Have also thought about some art hobbies but I tend jump here and there and leave it unfinished still. Sometimes feel there's not enough to create something, a droplet does nothing among the many other puddles in the rain.

Last edited by a moderator:

EternalSunset0

My thought process is somewhat similar in a sense that I get inspired from stuff I see.

However, instead of completely changing the course of a story, it's more of a desire to recapture and recreate the feeling of being excited by a show when I first saw it, but with tweaks.

It's probably a rarity for an author, but I admit I'm not much of a dreamer or a creative mind. Honestly, the extent of my creativity or the ability to think outside the box sucks, especially compared to a lot of you guys.

Hence the frankenstein of LN/manga-turned-anime that my series is. I elaborated more on that statement on my first volume's afterword but you get the gist.

However, I do have that desire to have different characters/archetypes take on some roles or have a different character arc from the things that I have seen, so I do think that there's still a slew of originality in my work in terms of execution. The characters can easily be typecast, yes, but once you start reading about them more, you can see that at times, I do add my own twists and some depth to their personalities. At least that's what I aspired to do lol.

As for the values I insert in my work, it's there. I don't drive it too hard, but my worldviews and personal philosophies do get representation. Also, I spread my overall personality all over my characters, and I do criticize some worldviews or prejudices in my work.

Nothing too political, but more of how high schoolers treat each other, as shaped by my own experiences. So you can say, more of "school politics" instead of the usual activist stuff.

Last edited:

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
I'd say the biggest impact my lifestyle has had on my writing is that I take a long time to sit down and write and usually write in one sitting...

As for effects on my story telling, I think that since most of what I've ever wrote was tailored to my sensibilities as a reader, it usually comes off as really long winded, wordy and mostly just faffing around. I could always get right to the point, I just don't feel like doing it. Which is why I more or less figured that my style of writing isn't appealing at all to the majority of people, hence why I mostly write for myself.

Jemini

The biggest effect of my life on my characters is an inability to write the dumb riff-raff characters. The truth is, if you keep an ear out for the kinds of things that happen in the real world, these types of dumb bad people actually do exist out there. It's just that I generally do not have people like this in my life, so it is very hard to relate to the idea of the prevalence of these kinds of people and how they might pop up more often in a less civilized society that discourages the kind of wrong-doing these types would get up to.

This largely causes my writing to contain a lot of macavellian rulers who are neither entirely good or bad, and everyone in power is a tyrant with a reason to be a tyrant. I am good at figuring out how smart people can make life bad for people in a medieval setting, but not so much how dumb people make a mess of things.

longer

Balls
The biggest effect of my life on my characters is an inability to write the dumb riff-raff characters. The truth is, if you keep an ear out for the kinds of things that happen in the real world, these types of dumb bad people actually do exist out there. It's just that I generally do not have people like this in my life, so it is very hard to relate to the idea of the prevalence of these kinds of people and how they might pop up more often in a less civilized society that discourages the kind of wrong-doing these types would get up to.

This largely causes my writing to contain a lot of macavellian rulers who are neither entirely good or bad, and everyone in power is a tyrant with a reason to be a tyrant. I am good at figuring out how smart people can make life bad for people in a medieval setting, but not so much how dumb people make a mess of things.
If you want to find out dumb people can screw things over just look at the Angelos Dynasty of the Byzantine empire. Maybe not completely dumb, but plagued by incompetence.

I experience almost everything you have mentioned in this post. I've started writing very recently and haven't read any guides, tutorials. So, take what I say with a grain of salt.
Try creating a line-out of what you wanted the chapter to include, bullet points. You could make it as meticulously detailed as you want. I usually write the chapter in a script-like fashion first and then rewrite it again with better articulation.

Last edited:

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
I may be dumb, I may be an isekai loving degenerate, but I at least now know when to say that a story's good or not.

One thing I heavily suggest to you is to map it all out. Map out the landmarks/checkpoints of your story. For example, Start -> Happy family/village(introductory) -> Something that makes the mc encounter the main goal of the story -> blah blah blah -> blah blah blah -> Ending.

Now I know this is scuffed, but I basically said the map of my novel, so I made it scuffed. I might also have some kind of minor ADHD or something, but what I can say is that once you've mapped out the story, everything will slowly fall into place, so long as you stick to the path of the story's map. Just make sure you follow the map.