How do you all feel about the Isekai trends the makes every season now have at least 2-3 isekai anime?

ChaosGodOfJashin

The Chaos God of The Towers
Isekai in general is a genre where one is transported/ reincarnated to another world. The main sub-genre of it is Reincarnation or Transmigration . This genre also usually comes with a wish fullfillment for the MC or generally given an OP power. Another genre usually paired with isekai's is Harem .
My question is what do y'all think 'bout this trend, how long do y'all think it's gonna last.

Lorelliad

creating magic in a magic-less world 🪄
It's not ending anytime soon, that's for sure. I'm a diehard Isekai fan.

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
One of the reason why I stop watching anime per season lol. I don't hate isekai though, it is just most of them are just so generic and really boring to watch.

And most of isekai coming from novel too, which obviously big chance I had read the source before, Oh well... Why I would bother to watch if I know the story beforehand?

How long it will be last? I don't know.
I am sure not anytime soon.

LordJoyde

Its heavily dependent on the Isekai, but sometimes, there is legitimate gold amid the shit and decomposing trash that is the Isekai genre.

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
Moshuku Tensei is the only isekai I finished, the others gave me a so-so opinion. Of course, LOTM is another one but I can't really call it isekai since they are on Earth all along.

AzureWinds

Tbh out of all the isekai out there i don't know why but they mostly choose the ones that makes it seem like isekai is a repetitive and boring and unoriginal (well it is mostly) concept

EternalSunset0

I don't mind it.

It's the trend, and it doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. In order for the genre to die, I feel that many shows have to flop so hard consecutively, but for every five or so forgettable Isekai with little traction, you get a Mushoku Tensei/Slime/Shield Hero/Konosuba, etc that gets big and keeps the hype of the genre alive. It helps that there's so much you can do with the genre too.

I don't watch a lot of it to have a very strong opinion although I'm currently following Arifureta 2, but that's it.

What I do have a strong opinion against is when people get so mad about the trend and/or looking down on people who genuinely enjoy a lot of the "junk food" ones. I'm talking those Smartphones, Death Marches, Wiseman's Grandsons, etc.

TotallyHuman

Sometimes there are very good stories among the ones offered. I don't hate this trend. I don't hate this cliche.
If studios keep doing it, it means there's a demand, and it means other people like it. It makes sense to be tolerable towards others.

Varstark

My question is what do y'all think 'bout this trend, how long do y'all think it's gonna last.
Short-term: Until another wish-fulfillment trend takes its place.
Long-term: Until animator and studio wages, workloads, costs and sales numbers align on a level that is hospitable to good art, same as the film industry. Until then, enjoy your isekai harems, villainesses and fanservice bloat.

I mean, I personally like all those waifus and harems, so I can't speak for my tastes.

HokuouTenrou

I don't like isekai, but only because they supplanted the "magical battle/duel school/academy" genre. That, and from the seasonal shows I have skimmed, haven't found any isekai heroine I wanted to waifu so bad.

How long it will last? No idea, tbh. Maybe not anytime soon.

Simo

A lazy sloth
Moshuku Tensei is the only isekai I finished, the others gave me a so-so opinion. Of course, LOTM is another one but I can't really call it isekai since they are on Earth all along.
Spoiler tag you idiot, not everyone read that far.

EternalSunset0

I don't like isekai, but only because they supplanted the "magical battle/duel school/academy" genre. That, and from the seasonal shows I have skimmed, haven't found any isekai heroine I wanted to waifu so bad.

How long it will last? No idea, tbh. Maybe not anytime soon.
My brother.

I loved the duel academies a lot more also, and I also noticed that Isekai was the one that supplanted the genre. I miss it when the settings were modern and sci-fi'ish and most of the haremettes were just human and/or espers/psychics/demons or whatnot instead of the exotic fantasy races.

Last ones were probably Misfit of Demon King Academy and Akashic Records but they're so long ago relatively.

Last edited:

HokuouTenrou

I miss it when the settings were modern and sci-fi'ish and most of the haremettes were just human and/or espers/psychics or whatnot instead of the exotic fantasy races.
This, tbh.

I think I mentioned it few times before, but my another grievance is that isekai protags are usually (stereotypically?) so OP they got all the spotlight; pretty much why I disliked Tatsuya and... Anos? They felt isekai-ish without actually being one (if that even makes sense). Ichika/Lux/Ayato wasn't so OP, so at least Cecilia/Celistia/Claudia or any other heroines, really, still got some action (or so I remember).
(But that isn't the purpose of this thread, so I guess I'll stop lol)

ChaosGodOfJashin

The Chaos God of The Towers
My brother.

I loved the duel academies a lot more also, and I also noticed that Isekai was the one that supplanted the genre. I miss it when the settings were modern and sci-fi'ish and most of the haremettes were just human and/or espers/psychics/demons or whatnot instead of the exotic fantasy races.

Last ones were probably Misfit of Demon King Academy and Akashic Records but they're so long ago relatively.
Duel academics is pretty good just like Isekai. But the thing is how they interpreted the story itself. Some like the Seirei tsukai no blade dance, Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, or Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut is pretty genericly the same as each other. The MC basically has a sad backstory then is actually very OP. But it became quite boring later on and just dies down. I felt Isekai will probably be like that also just until another trend shows up tho.