Writing How do you all write so much???

AbigailWP

Producer-Rapper-Writer-Cultivator-Fellow Human
Ive been lurking here for a bit and I keep on seeing readers expect 2 to 3k word chapters per week!!! My limit for good creative writing in a day is around 800-1000 words so i should be able to make that expectation but i just plain don't want to... I am in my final year of highschool and such writing practices would dearly cut into my relaxing and more importantly studying time... How do you all keep such schedules with full time jobs,,, education etc etc???

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Ive been lurking here for a bit and I keep on seeing readers expect 2 to 3k word chapters per week!!! My limit for good creative writing in a day is around 800-1000 words so i should be able to make that expectation but i just plain don't want to... I am in my final year of highschool and such writing practices would dearly cut into my relaxing and more importantly studying time... How do you all keep such schedules with full time jobs,,, education etc etc?
Our secret? We got gud.

Ace_Arriande

DubstheDuke

Yeah uh I don't really know how this is gonna go once I'm back in college. Right now I'm on summer so I am cranking out the novel like it's an addiction.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
They are monsters I swear.
It's not normal.

Jk aside, some are just talented cookies or trained it for years. Some have 100k words of the story in stockpile. Maintaining high output requires either a lot of time or very strict self-discipline to keep that pace up. (Meaning: good outline, daily writing, enough stockpile, and a release schedule that fits your free time!)

I kept writing like a maniac for the first two months, then got slowly burnt out in the following weeks. Now I can't even write a 4k word chapter a month :blob_blank: (As you can see, it can be just a momentary crazy sprint. Those with a truly regular schedule have just stockpiled a lot. They are smart, unlike me.)

PandaSempai

Well, it doesn't take that much of a time for me to write something. If the idea and the plot of the story is in your mind, the words just keeps on piling up until you can't even keep track of what you're writing anymore.

I often end up like this and I would just do the editing part after I'm done. Whether it makes sense, have a plot hole, seems plausible, yada, yada... I do it all after I'm done with writing all the things inside my head. (This definitely makes you write faster since you don't have to pause every 3 or so words to think of what could happen next.)

In my opinion, everything just come into place when you like what you are doing. It feels like you're in the Zone or something when you are having fun and doing what you like.

P.S: If writing is already a part of your system, you could definitely get used to it. Doing it over and over again will make you adapt and, in turn, make you faster at writing.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I think its easy if you know how you plan on developing the story in your mind. The hard part of me is to watch out for grammars which actually slows down my writing.

I've been writing for the past 7-8 years so i'm actually developed and had been slowing down due to checking for grammatic errors all the time.

There are some authors who doesn't do this but i kinda want my readers to at least understand what i'm writing which i began to recheck them if there's any mistake.

In your case, some authors just have a good focus on writing for so long without stopping due to their focus on writing which they tend to forgot the time and finish with long word count.

Silver_Sky

Maybe set a story line before hand? And what you need to get there? Add more jokes, descriptions, go more in depth about things conversation as well after that that's the most I can come up with as a reader.

Other than that...maybe your story isn't clicking that much with you? Or read others stories and see what they do? Plus it might give you ideas.

Tim_Saian

If you aren't excited about the story or if the story isn't yours you'll definitely have trouble pumping out the words. I'm a ghostwriter so I've observed this about my self personally, if I'm not excited about the clients story, if I think it's not good or it could be better but I'm not allowed to make it so, I slow down drastically.
You need to be excited about your story. Find ways to get that excitement. Good Luck.

Sii

Personally, I have a goal for myself that I try to hit every day. I write shorter chapters, averaging 1.5k-2k, but I basically write every day. It's gotten a lot easier for me ever since I just sat down and said "I'm gonna write." It's become a ritual for me at this point, where I feel off if I don't write for the day.

I'm also a discovery writer so I don't even really have a clear goal in mind. I'm just writing to write and seeing where my story goes. I've currently got 21 chapters published here and a couple other sites and I've got a healthy buffer of 14-15 chapters at all times.

At this point, I use writing as a therapy. That alone has helped me keep going, it's a lot closer now to being a habit than a ritual. If I think back on it, I've been writing non-stop for the last month or so, with a small 1 or 2 day break here and there.

I guess it just comes down to making that time to write and figuring out what exactly you're writing for. Are you writing for yourself? For your readers? For some mystical sky daddy?

AbigailWP

Maybe set a story line before hand? And what you need to get there? Add more jokes, descriptions, go more in depth about things conversation as well after that that's the most I can come up with as a reader.

Other than that...maybe your story isn't clicking that much with you? Or read others stories and see what they do? Plus it might give you ideas.

Ah i write with an outline, i often get lost on tangents if i don't XDDD

I love my story and all that i guess i just write slowly...

AbigailWP

Mwpensword

Ive been lurking here for a bit and I keep on seeing readers expect 2 to 3k word chapters per week!!! My limit for good creative writing in a day is around 800-1000 words so i should be able to make that expectation but i just plain don't want to... I am in my final year of highschool and such writing practices would dearly cut into my relaxing and more importantly studying time... How do you all keep such schedules with full time jobs,,, education etc etc?

Honestly I never thought I could put out so much content until I tried. I started by pasting a chapter a day of my first OELN: Reborn as a Slave and now that I have passed 20+ chapters I'm also releasing on a patron only OELN on my website and a third one: Becoming an Incubus while working full time and in college. I guess its because I have no social life anymore lmao.

AbigailWP

Just a general thing,,, i am NOT begrudgingly stamping out a story i dont want... I very much love my work!!!

Kaguro

It takes quite a while for me to write, but this is pretty much my hobby now. Whenever I would usually be watching tv, I'm writing now instead. Hopefully I don't get burnt out, but it does eat a lot of my free time.

About an hour or two on weekdays sometimes, but mainly on weekends. I'm probably at about 300 words an hour, which I hope isn't too slow but I feel really slow when writing.

AbigailWP

It takes quite a while for me to write, but this is pretty much my hobby now. Whenever I would usually be watching tv, I'm writing now instead. Hopefully I don't get burnt out, but it does eat a lot of my free time.

About an hour or two on weekdays sometimes, but mainly on weekends. I'm probably at about 300 words an hour, which I hope isn't too slow but I feel really slow when writing.
Sounds reasonable to me,,, why watch a movie when you can imagine your novel as a movie as you write it???

D

Deleted member 29316

I plan ahead with my stories (via plotting) and then conduct research. Once I got everything I need and is fully-rested, I'd binge-write an entire volume, then edit it three times before uploading the chapters.

Planning and self-discipline are the keys here in my style, since I also got a job as an educator and I'm doing part-time as an animator. I have to stop my gaming days to make way for writing (as well as illustrating). And set deadlines as well (usually three weeks to a month of binge-writing).

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
On a good day I can hit 3k words a day. On a normal day, a little over 1k to 2k. On a day where I'm struggling? About 1k and I'll have spent hours struggling on just that alone. I've noticed the days where I struggle to get 1k, I usually have no drive to write the next day so it ends up being 1k in two days. But after that I'll usually have a burst of energy and will drop 2k alone on that third day.

In a week is a better measurement for me though. My average words a week is around 10k, but that is only the average. It fluctuates.

Last edited:

PandaSempai

I plan ahead with my stories (via plotting) and then conduct research. Once I got everything I need and is fully-rested, I'd binge-write an entire volume, then edit it three times before uploading the chapters.

Planning and self-discipline are the keys here in my style, since I also got a job as an educator and I'm doing part-time as an animator. I have to stop my gaming days to make way for writing (as well as illustrating). And set deadlines as well (usually three weeks to a month of binge-writing).
You managed to get rid of gaming? I didn't get rid of it since, for me, writing and gaming are my hobbies. There's also the fact that I really like DOTA and CSGO.

Glorious_Milfhunter

Huh? Who are you?
My writing speed boils down to how much motivation I have.
I have written 2k words in an hour. But there were times when I could only write 300 words or so in the same time.
Honestly, I tend to get distracted very easily if I don't put focus mode on my phone and pc, especially the text messages...

Last edited: