Writing How do you all write so much???

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
For me, I normally can write between 600 and 1500 words a day of random BS that is coherent enough to work -- if I am in the mood for it. The problem lies in my editing where my storytelling is molded and polished. It isn't rare for me to start a chapter over from scratch if my word-flow and direction does not align with my how I want to tell my story. At some points, I've rewritten chapters 3 or 4 times, but that's how my creative process is -- I don't believe on following an outline that is rigid and uncompromising.

I often recycle ideas that did not make the 'cut' for published material in later chapters, so rewriting chapters aren't necessarily a waste. However, that does mean a slower process, which effects releases.

For me, a good chapter length is between 1500 and 3000 words. However, length shouldn't be the priority in the chapter -- flow, content, and substance should be. I'd rather read 600 words of fully fleshed-out ideas over 3000 words of nonsensical garbage. Anyway, I digress.

Currently, my little-known novel The Terran Traveller barely gets any traffic, but I don't mind. I could blame it in the 2-week release cycle, but I'm not willing to dilute the quality of my work just to rush a release.

So far, what's worked well for me is to publish additional chapters in-between my 2-week release cycle, so long as I have accrued enough material to do so. In the future, I can see myself releasing chapters weekly, but that is something that naturally grows with time as one becomes better at writing -- this is coming from an absolute novice.

Anyhow, that's my take on the matter.

P.S. I'm jealous of everyone here whose stories have a following, and readers that comment on said stories.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Anyone can write a lot, but not everyone can write as well. Don't equate word count to quality. Saying more doesn't mean you say a lot.

But if word count IS what you're reaching for, then discipline is one to go for. Just sit yourself down and force yourself through the slog. You'll get through it like a habit eventually, though I'd recommend the former. I do an average of 7k per month; way less than most of the writers here, but most of my time is devoted into editing and planning.

It all depends on what you want your writing to be, really.

Chad_B

I'm cranking out a chapter of my story every other day right now. And the only thing enabling me to do so is unemployment. :cautious:

Under normal circumstances, I'd have a hell of a time writing so much if most of my energy went to an 8-10 hour shift.

Reactions: HJ

Galen

Take breaks when you need them. Make sure you enjoy what you are writing. Notify your readers if you need to adjust your writing schedule. Find a reasonable amount of words per chapter and stick it to it. If you can't do more then 3k words a chapter then don't do anymore.

I commonly type about 10k words a chapter. But I didn't start that way! At the start of my story I did an average of 3-5k words. I also had horrible editing. But over time I grew to 10k, and got better. All you have to do is keep practicing, and keep your determination!

You can do it!

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Ive been lurking here for a bit and I keep on seeing readers expect 2 to 3k word chapters per week!!! My limit for good creative writing in a day is around 800-1000 words so i should be able to make that expectation but i just plain don't want to... I am in my final year of highschool and such writing practices would dearly cut into my relaxing and more importantly studying time... How do you all keep such schedules with full time jobs,,, education etc etc?

Well, for the viewership, having shorter chapters but posting them more often is much better than just a weekly release. Yet I just can't do that. Why? There are a few variables.

1. I'm an insanely wordy person - Since forever I struggled with word limits on essays, work, message limits in communicators, etc. While the average thesis length was 40 pages for Bachelor's, mine was 74 pages. I blame reading books since the day I was able to read. Even when messaging friends I end up typing 3-4 sentences in response and I'm a quick writer due to being into IT and PC's since the age of 9.

2. I have an immensely deep imagination - Every time I'm not doing anything important or needing focus I tend to drift off into my own mind and develop the stories, think about what should happen next, what are the possibilities, play out dialogues, design characters, etc. I started self inserting myself into cartoons at around 8. With time it evolved into creating own stories in my head around highschool, and in IT Tech school I was already building up originals.

3. Almost always I have a general idea in minds when starting a chapter - Due to the 2nd point above, when starting a chapter I already know what's the major point I want to describe. I just sit and let the words flow. And I try to limit myself a lot. If I didn't, my chapters would end up 5k instead of 3-4k like right now. I play out my story in my imagination and literally live-write it like writing down a script while watching a movie. Then naturally I reread tons of times and change many things.

And thus, since I always end up with 3-4k words, I have to choose weekly release or I'm risking stressing myself over missing the deadline. And I started writing down my stories for fun because I have a blast doing so and not to try and amass as many people as possible. Although, if that comes with time I'll be happy as fuck. I'm already happy with my 140 readers from which a few actively comment. Even got my first Patron lol.

Having a weekly sched allows me to quickly build up additional chapters, since when on streak I managed to do 4 in a week, and thanks to that I can amass a healthy backup when life will go to shit and I'll have to stop for a moment. I'd rather have a weekly sched and my story further than 1 chapter than worry over something happening.

So in my case, it all just comes from my writing style. I can't write 1k chapters. I tried. They end up kinda empty, with not enough things happening since I'm very descriptive. This might change when I start publishing my action adventure, but my slice of life Brothel will stay slow and descriptive.

Owl

Nervous writer
Writing is exhausting after 8hours work a day but.... I love writing :blob_hug: For me, not writing is more uncomfortable than writing, so I write.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't write that much. What I do is write a little every night before bed, and then I type and edit it later.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
:blob_evil_two: A bit extreme, but bad writing doesn't take much effort. If you switch off your brain, you can easily write a lot.

Reactions: HJ

AkaGin

I don't really think my chapters through a lot as long as I enjoy it. I however plan out the topics of my chapters, and that only. But concerning the length of my chapters, I go by pages. I also put my writing in the times I finally get to relax because I pretty much write chapters in my phone through a word processing app. It saves me from backache and tired fingers from sitting and typing as I can just type even on bed. Once I am done, I'll do a final checking on a PC and stash it away until I publish it. As much as possible, I work with comfort, silence and ease so that my head wouldn't blank out when I write while I also find the time where my brain works best.

MajorKerina

Wait...a week? I thought you were supposed to write 2000 words twice a day. That's what I was told by a friend. I have a backlog in need to revision though and editing 12,000 words a day had been my life lately.

Draculus-del-Viafat

Ive been lurking here for a bit and I keep on seeing readers expect 2 to 3k word chapters per week!!! My limit for good creative writing in a day is around 800-1000 words so i should be able to make that expectation but i just plain don't want to... I am in my final year of highschool and such writing practices would dearly cut into my relaxing and more importantly studying time... How do you all keep such schedules with full time jobs,,, education etc etc?
I've also been wondering why some readers have such strange standarts, because for me personally not the amount of words is what matters, but the story itself. I always try not to fill my chapters with water, choose carefully what to write about so that they are more interesting. Usually it's 1-2.5k words per chapter, sometimes less or more depending on what I write about. I don't think one should worry about word count when it comes to a novel one likes.

Necariin

I write 2.5-4k word chapters, release three times a week (M, W, F). Typically I write that over the course of two days after my full time job (more like 8 hours all told).

Maintaining this pace is like a lot of people here said, discipline and planning. Focus on getting 'x' amount of words done and plot out your tale to the extent you need. Some people plot everything exactingly, others are far looser. I'm somewhere in the middle there, but having an outline helps a TON.

TachimeSan

Quantity doesn't always equal to Quality imo.

Personally, I would rather have a short, but concise chapter that goes straight to the point, instead of a looong, looping one that rambles on and on none stop.

My advice would be to just write until you feel that you have written all you need for that particular chapter, and then stop regardless of the length. Because if you try to prolong a chapter and padd the word count, even though you've already achieved the purpose of that chapter, then it becomes repetitive and boring.

But that's just me, what do I know:blob_evil:

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
Wait, readers only expect 2k-3k words a week? Are you serious?! That's it?!

But seriously, I only write for fun so writing that much a day isn't anything. I'm pretty lackluster at art and being creative has always been a passion of mine outside of my day job. So, when I write I enjoy it. I don't expect to make it big and make a career out of writing though. (And to be honest, I don't think I ever want to. Writing for a job sounds pretty taxing.) I say, if you enjoy what you do then it shouldn't be hard to write 2k-3k words a week. But if you're doing it because others expect you to do then you won't find it as enjoyable as it should be.

AbigailWP

Producer-Rapper-Writer-Cultivator-Fellow Human
Wait, readers only expect 2k-3k words a week? Are you serious?! That's it?!

But seriously, I only write for fun so writing that much a day isn't anything. I'm pretty lackluster at art and being creative has always been a passion of mine outside of my day job. So, when I write I enjoy it. I don't expect to make it big and make a career out of writing though. (And to be honest, I don't think I ever want to. Writing for a job sounds pretty taxing.) I say, if you enjoy what you do then it shouldn't be hard to write 2k-3k words a week. But if you're doing it because others expect you to do then you won't find it as enjoyable as it should be.
Ah shit sorry I meant multiple chapters that are 2-3k each... I can do a chapter or two on my phone before bed, but not multiple 2-3k chapters.

D

Deleted member 29081

Replacement for church and therapy. Even though confessions cost nothing, all the churches are closed down due to the virus. Also, most of us aren't of the Christian faith.

Kldran

I don't write very much. I think I'm averaging around 2k words a week. I'd like to write more, but I'm only able to write when I'm in the right state of mind, and I've not figured out how to make it happen on purpose yet.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
My word count has been getting larger, but the quality is trash. If I think about the chapter too much it’s less fun when I’m writing it. At the end of the day my (*cough* currently unpublished *cough*) works right now are just fodder so I can get better at writing. Hopefully in the future I will be able to enjoy myself while actually writing well.

Or maybe I’ll get bored and forget about all of this.