How do you create a funny school arc in your novel?

I'm a new 'author' in my story titled

I am preparing my main character to the school arc, and I need some insights on how to create it.

On my story at this arc is about school life, tournaments, competitors, comedic scenario, etc... Anything as long as it resembles the feel of school life.

I already created my own plan of executing it but I might need your opinions in order to improve it further.

Any opinion is appreciated.

Thanks.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
I like playing a non-chess game which I call A Pawnful Experience where both sides only have eight pawns. I used to set this up in lichess, but have mostly played it against AI.

A reviewer once remarked that many mangaka must have had frustrating school lives with how frequent schools get damaged and even destroyed in anime.

Just pattern your arc after real school scenes or else it will likely have an artificial feel to it since you're not writing a fanfic.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
make it the normal school arc but close to the end the protagonist's plans gets thwarted by the quiet kid in class pulling out a Carbine Surprise™ in the middle of class

ddevans

These are the techniques I'm currently using in my novel with that same general theme. Not that they're Correct.

Fighting
The basic progression of a scripted fight has imo been perfected by professional wrestling. It is:

Shine: Wherein the hero demonstrates his fundamental virtues.
Heat: The villains counterattack, demonstrating their villainous virtues or even using underhanded tactics.
Comeback: The hero rallies. Many ways to execute upon this. A fundamental internal change of state, either with help from an outside source, some last minute self reflection, or simply a blind renewal of resolve.
Finisher: The hero finishes off his opponent in a way that puts his virtues on parade.

To train for this, I've been watching the Rocky movies. A big variation is a second Heat stage after the Comeback, followed by an even stronger Comeback.

School Life
I try to stay away from exposition-by-lecture. The merit of the school setting is that it is limited in scope.

Rival
I have done a kind of shitty job on this point in retrospect, but if I wrote it again I would give the rival moments to shine prior to the final confrontation. In a fight that the hero loses, or in a fight that someone the hero respects loses.

Comedy
I'd have to write an entire essay about this. I mostly lean on literary irony, wordplay, mistaken identities, and sheer absurdity. Highlighting that characters are weak is the point of comedy.

Last edited: