How do you deal with criticism?

Shizun

I would think over it as a neutral party and either accept or not it. If it's too aggro, then i ignore it

REWashington

Whenever I get a comment I think carefully about how I respond, especially one with criticism. I try to think it out carefully. Sometimes it is valid criticism and sometimes it's a reader who wants to change the story to their personal preference. Most of the time it's something in between, where the reader is having a problem with something in the story, but don't know how to explain it, so they say do this thing. So I like to focus on more what they feel is wrong and not how they want to change it. If it's a valid criticism I make a not to work on it revise. If I feel it changes my story into something it's not or changes the direction, I thank them and continue writing my story.

The only time I don't respond to is trolls. So far I've only had a few on different sites (since I'm still new here) and I simply don't respond. There's no point. If a person just wants to cause trouble or just doesn't like the story, I accept there are just people like that out there and everyone isn't going to like my story. All I can do is keep improving and writing the best story I'm capable of.

mrsimple

Writer
I just say or do what's on my mind. So, uh, I kinda can't accurately portray how I'd deal with criticism without knowing first whatever is being criticized. :blob_blank:

Good example: the very first negative review I received was well founded. It was on one of my early stories about a character that had gone mute and no one could gather what she was wanting. Well, the review I received stated that pencil and paper exist, thusly, everyone has been hit with retardation. :blob_drool:

...Yep, I totally agree with that. I devoted an entire following chapter to that reviewer on how stupid everyone was last chapter. I even had one of the cast give the mute character an old toy called the Etch A Sketch. :blobrofl:

Now as for another example: I had flipped my top on another reviewer who harassed a number of other writers for including heterosexual relationships. This person didn't just bash the novels, but had also called the writers trash, or in one memorable comment, a "hack." It's not possible to know their name because they kept making up new ones. That was until they commented on one of my novels... I think once I went public about their behavior, the rest of our community decided they had enough too, and the toxic relationship we had with this person had at last folded to a close. :blob_highfive:

But, yeah, I say what pops in my head, and sometimes that isn't very smart. Burning bridges is not a constructive practice, so I try not to be mean. :blob_hide:

Just to note: these events occurred on TGStorytime. You can still find these two interactions there in my review section, and the big blow up in an archive belonging to the TGStorytime Reviewer's Club. :blob_sir: