How do you deal with ridicule?

Nekroz

I'm curious as to the way other authors deal with ridicule to their stories. Like mean comments and stuff like that, or bad criticism that doesn't make much sense.

I personally just ignore it.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
In my right state of mind I ignore it. If something is wrong in my life it’s a bit harder to do that.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
No one can hurt me with words more than I already have because it doesn't matter. Unless it's constructive, then it's just extra stuff to work with in the next editing session.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Revel in it, make it nuture you, sustain you. Turn it into a farce.

If there's one thing critics and hater never got over it's not being taken serious

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
What are your stories about? I might want to read them.
There is one fantasy story that I abandoned, I wouldn’t recommend reading that. The other is a short story about a ww1 style aerial dogfight

scarecrow.author

The one time I did get a negative comment, I responded, though I probably shouldn't have. But the commenter made the story look bad because of their lack of understanding of what was going on. Sir, only I am allowed to make my story look bad, okay?

Nekroz

The one time I did get a negative comment, I responded, though I probably shouldn't have. But the commenter made the story look bad because of their lack of understanding of what was going on. Sir, only I am allowed to make my story look bad, okay?
Yeah, you should mostly avoid responding to comments like that. A lesson too many have learned the hard way.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I keep this handy to copy and paste:

Thanks for your thorough and thoughtful review. I will keep your suggestions in mind for my next rewrite.

D

Deleted member 54065

I'm curious as to the way other authors deal with ridicule to their stories. Like mean comments and stuff like that, or bad criticism that doesn't make much sense.

I personally just ignore it.
1). I ignore if it's stupid. (The reader keeps on jumping parts that he ends up not understanding it.)
2). I explain to him, with subtle sarcasm. (If it can benefit other readers.)

I only pick feedbacks tha are in-line with my plans for the story.

Gibbs505

Look at it, see if it has some valid points, ignore the rest!

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
I'm not popular enough for that to happen, so... *shrugs* If it did, I'd prob feel like shit for a while, then my non-existent memory would forget they ever said anything, or even than they exist at all.

Nekroz

I'm not popular enough for that to happen, so... *shrugs* If it did, I'd prob feel like shit for a while, then my non-existent memory would forget they ever said anything, or even than they exist at all.
A good way to prevent yourself from feeling bad about what other people say is to evaluate what they mean to you. Then evaluate their actual experience and knowledge on the subject.

J_Chemist

I screenshot them and send them to my friends. We all laugh, make fun of the individual, and then go about our day.