How do you do layers?

peelsdeeni

The Unoriginal Disappointment
I'm trying to figure out how to do layers but I can't seem to get it. I just don't understand how the layers work. Can anyone explain it to?

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
You put one layer in the bottom, basically put it as the holder. Next, put a batter on top of the layer which should pick a choice on what you want to put it on. Then, finally add another layer before either coating it or add another batter to put another layer....

Wait, what layer are we talking about?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Who needs layers?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
For cutting hair? My mom looked up some videos on Youtube for that.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Layer cake is nice~

The Nhentai version. Not the urban dictionary version unless you are into scat.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
The same way I do your mom.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I'd say think of it as a transparent page, with each page you draw on being separate from the rest. Anything you put on the bottom layer will be blocked by layers stacked on top. If you color an entire layer, it'll either totally block everything beneath it if it's opaque, or just modify it if it's not. I never really figured them out myself-

:blob_shock:Ahem... But I can safely say you should start with a background layer. Then you can have a layer for lineart, then a layer for coloring. Maybe a layer for shading as well. If you want, you can also split individual parts of the drawing into layer sections, with lineart, colors and shading all separated. That way you can color the hair and body differently, for instance.

If you aren't talking about art... Um. Underwear goes on first. This includes socks. Then you can wear light clothing like jeans and a t-shirt, with shoes to cover the feet in most cases, and gloves for the hands. After that is outerwear, things like a jacket for light weather, or a coat and sweatpants + boots and mittens for heavy weather. Armor can replace outerwear in most circumstances, but if you expect to be heavily chilled do make sure to wear something warm and spongy underneath.
This is the guide I use. https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Armor

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀

Don’t. It will crush your pc, your program, your sanity. :blob_blank:
trust me, I know what I'm saying. it's what professionals do. the fish is lying. he's trying to keep the secret hidden.

tiaf

trust me, I know what I'm saying. it's what professionals do. the fish is lying. he's trying to keep the secret hidden.
03BCFFCD-BCC9-472B-8992-0941E1CF0DB4.png

E98145AC-0A2F-44A4-A604-1178E74EFD5B.png

10DEEE6C-6D42-4242-BEDE-45EEEB7A621F.png

It was a torture. :blob_neutral:
This is AFTER I merged the sub layers for each character.

Could have used less layers if I had known my brush properties better. The bane of cel shading, you need a lot of layers for shadows and highlights. Add some special effects and you can feel your program lagging.

Also don’t stick a pronoun to me. I makes me remember that I actually live in the real world and not the carefree life of a fish in the sea :blob_teary:

View attachment 11305
View attachment 11306
View attachment 11307

Could have used less layers if I had known my brush properties better. The bane of cel shading, you need a lot of layers for shadows and highlights. Add some special effects and you can feel your program lagging.

Also don’t stick a pronoun to me. I makes me remember that I actually live in the real world and not the carefree life of a fish in the sea :blob_teary:
that looks horrifying. you're a true professional.
also everything gets a pronoun in my native even a piece of cloth. but I get ya. i'll stick to it i guess

tiaf

that looks horrifying. you're a true professional.
also everything gets a pronoun in my native even a piece of cloth. but I get ya. i'll stick to it i guess

It is horrifying. Imagine painting on the wrong layer because the lazy past you didn’t name the layers. Thanks past me.
Call me it or fish. Let me escape reality

peelsdeeni

The Unoriginal Disappointment
View attachment 11305
View attachment 11306
View attachment 11307

That looks equally horrifying and disgusting
I would pray for you, but I'm not religious

tiaf

That looks equally horrifying and disgusting
I would pray for you, but I'm not religious
the result was worth it though :blob_joy:
NGL, I didn't really need so many layers, but I played it super safe. You'd normally merge the layers down to one once you're finished, but you need the confidence to know that you didn't make a mistake (therefore don't need to go back and change something)

It probably comes down to experience, which I hadn't back then. :blob_pout:

Tbf, there were 6 characters + 2 close-ups so everything multiplied.