How do you guys go about changing character names ? I want to rename some characters but i m torn .

patbateman123x

So i started out my novel with names i really liked for my mc and fmc but i thought names relevant to the theme and story would make sense so i changed them midway to reflect that and now i am 12 chaps in with some 16000 words .But now I've encountered a dilemma I've faced myself as a reader . Usually most lns and wns I've read i didn't particularly care what a character's name meant so i glossed it over . True for Chinese ones at least but mine has japanese names which i usually remember for most novels . So my question should i change the names back to the original ones since I've only written a few chapters and that's what I've feeling like or me changing them now would confuse the readers more? I'd like it if anyone of you who had a similar experience can share your thoughts

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
So, personally, as a reader, I would hate it if names changed halfway through the story. That said, as an author, I'd consider the stats: How far into the story are you with those 12 chapters? If it's intended to be a long story and you really want to change them, I'd do it. If you're already halfway to the endpoint, I'd leave it for now and change the names in a revision that I would preferably announce to readers so they know to either hurry up or only start reading after the revision is done. Then, how many readers do you currently have? If there aren't that many anyway, then it's better to change the names now. Later on, you might have more readers so that'd be more people who need to get used to the change. New readers will also start at the beginning so it'd be best to go back through everything and swap out all mentions before they can start reading.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I've had to change a few characters names either because the name is the same as another fictional character that I didn't know about or it just doesn't fit. Though coming up with names has never been a problem for me. I have tons of language dictionaries that I use for references in choosing foreign names. That and I find out what the most popular names are for the nationality that I want and look up the meaning.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
well, it's a case of making the bed and laying on it. you gave that name in the first place, and now you're stuck with it. you COULD come up with a nickname for the character and follow it up as a metamorphosis-like character arc.

or just have your character say "yeah I used to be James but now I'm Miku Haraname the Third" and just run with that without explanation.

patbateman123x

Don't change the name halfway through. Eat your poor choice from the beginning and just go with it.
I ll keep that in mind thank you .I am barely in the beginning of the story . However i don't have a sense of how long a usual story is supposed to be . Is 16000-18000 words that far in to go back and change names?
i like your style dude
well, it's a case of making the bed and laying on it. you gave that name in the first place, and now you're stuck with it. you COULD come up with a nickname for the character and follow it up as a metamorphosis-like character arc.

or just have your character say "yeah I used to be James but now I'm Miku Haraname the Third" and just run with that without explanation.
I've had to change a few characters names either because the name is the same as another fictional character that I didn't know about or it just doesn't fit. Though coming up with names has never been a problem for me. I have tons of language dictionaries that I use for references in choosing foreign names. That and I find out what the most popular names are for the nationality that I want and look up the meaning.
thanks for the input!

LostLibrarian

Just drop that story, delete it, wait for a month and re-publish it in a month with new names.
And you just gained a massive backlog :D

patbateman123x

ive barely scratched the surface .Its only been a day in universe and i am already 16000 words in hahaha
So, personally, as a reader, I would hate it if names changed halfway through the story. That said, as an author, I'd consider the stats: How far into the story are you with those 12 chapters? If it's intended to be a long story and you really want to change them, I'd do it. If you're already halfway to the endpoint, I'd leave it for now and change the names in a revision that I would preferably announce to readers so they know to either hurry up or only start reading after the revision is done. Then, how many readers do you currently have? If there aren't that many anyway, then it's better to change the names now. Later on, you might have more readers so that'd be more people who need to get used to the change. New readers will also start at the beginning so it'd be best to go back through everything and swap out all mentions before they can start reading.
For now i guess i ll stick to the current names . I don't want to go back to editing them and accidentally missing a name and ruining the readers pov . Thank you guys!

CypherTails

Generally this problem is something you are stuck with unfortunately, I don't think the reader confusion is worth it. Name styles are most relevant as a first impression. That part usually goes into how it sounds, names with harsh sounds that are usually the "k" sound. But since you are reconsidering I would assume you feel you messed up so I'll provide some advice on how to prevent it.

So if I were just to string an example out of gibberish it would be like:

Female
Varotharine ---> This sounds more brutal, like some bandit lord or something
Athelanine ---> This sounds softer like a noble lady

Male
Varok
Athel

Same thing for both, on first read it one sounds more aggressive than the other

Here's Jap example:

Akira
Haru

The names have a harshness to them. One mental exercise I like to do is to take two extremes. How good would this name sound in a battle cry and how well would it sound being whispered in bed by a lover. So just try that with the name examples and you will get what I mean.

Imagine shouting "My name is Haru" in the middle of a battle, you sound like a cat lol.

patbateman123x

Generally this problem is something you are stuck with unfortunately, I don't think the reader confusion is worth it. Name styles are most relevant as a first impression. That part usually goes into how it sounds, names with harsh sounds that are usually the "k" sound. But since you are reconsidering I would assume you feel you messed up so I'll provide some advice on how to prevent it.

So if I were just to string an example out of gibberish it would be like:

Female
Varotharine ---> This sounds more brutal, like some bandit lord or something
Athelanine ---> This sounds softer like a noble lady

Male
Varok
Athel

Same thing for both, on first read it one sounds more aggressive than the other

Here's Jap example:

Akira
Haru

The names have a harshness to them. One mental exercise I like to do is to take two extremes. How good would this name sound in a battle cry and how well would it sound being whispered in bed by a lover. So just try that with the name examples and you will get what I mean.

Imagine shouting "My name is Haru" in the middle of a battle, you sound like a cat lol.
lmao . You are wild dude .Well my story doesn't have any wars but he likes his fair bit of violence . I am glad i haven't named him that badly lol

BlackKnightX

You’ve already posted those chapters? If that‘s the case, then don’t do it—but if you really want to, you have to inform your readers first (it will be quite annoying, though; it will feel like they have to reread your story again to get who’s who).

If possible, I don’t suggest you doing it.

patbateman123x

You’ve already posted those chapters? If that‘s the case, then don’t do it—but if you really want to, you have to inform your readers first (it will be quite annoying, though; it will feel like they have to reread your story again to get who’s who).

If possible, I don’t suggest you doing it.
thank you ive decided on not doing it .

D

Deleted member 57675

Notify readers if it's already published. Every chapter > Control F > Find all those names and replace.

12 ch is still but early. Would hesitate if it was 89 chapter...because readers are already used to what the original name you gave the characters.

Like imagine giving a 5 year old a new name suddenly. The elders may still call them by their previous name because that was the first name associated with the kid and they had it for first 5 years already so it's already been established in people's mindset what their names are.

patbateman123x

Notify readers if it's already published. Every chapter > Control F > Find all those names and replace.

12 ch is still but early. Would hesitate if it was 89 chapter...because readers are already used to what the original name you gave the characters.

Like imagine giving a 5 year old a new name suddenly. The elders may still call them by their previous name because that was the first name associated with the kid and they had it for first 5 years already so it's already been established in people's mindset what their names are.
thank you . I feel like a bad uncle when u mentioned a 5 year old hahaha

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I only change in unpublished works. I’m completely a reader in that aspect, the longer I associate the name I was introduced first with that character, the harder I can accept another name. I suck it up in translations, cause translation mistakes can happen.

My opinion about names fitting to the story theme is rather split. I mean irl you usually got a name that does not particularly reflect what you later end up in life. Rather, a name can have an impact on how a person is treated by others and those have an impact at how a person grows up. But it can also have no impact on the development of a person.

If the name is an important plot device, then I might consider changing it, but if it doesn’t, then I couldn’t care less.

If your story allows it, then making the name change part of the plot can make the transition easier for readers. There has been dozens of stories with characters that had a fake identity/used a false name and only later revealed their real name.

MorgueAnna

Is it possible to edit the chapters that are already live? And explain in an author's note? I'm not sure if that sort of thing is frowned upon.
Additionally, going through your drafts and editing to make sure the old names are all changed to the new ones is tedious but absolutely necessary. I've heard some horror stories of published fiction (like what you'd find in a bookstore) where the author had clearly used their word processor's "replace" function but hadn't gone through manually to check that the names had all been switched. So instances of the old name would still be present and confuse readers.
Regardless of what you choose to do, I hope you can find a solution that works well for you and your readers.
As an aside, regardless of language or the reader's knowledge, names usually meanings. To avoid awkward situations you may want to look up the names on a search engine to make sure they aren't connected to something that might be looked down upon by readers in the know.
For example; I know someone who innocently had a username with '88' in it, not realizing that it was a number that serves as a dog whistle for certain fascist groups. They found out the hard way when someone asked them if they were a member of said group after seeing the username. Needless to say, they eventually changed it.