Writing How do you guys persist on creating another chapter?

Lorelliad

If you love me, tie my hair 🎵
I think of all the awesome scenes I have planned in my head whenever I lose motivation

AiLovesToGrow

I write silly erotica
Outlines help, but ultimately sitting down and writing is where you need to be.

"I tried that, it didn't work."

What you probably need is a warmup story. So, have 2 stories: your epic, sweeping narrative that has all the things you want to tell, and then a dumpster where you put whatever randomness pops into your head. Write a few hundred words into the dumpster each day, then immediately work on your narrative. Think of it as working out for your mind.

StainedGlassThreads

Create a stupidly large buffer and schedule all the chapters to post over a period of time so the chapters couldn't stop coming even if I wanted them to.

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
For a person who finished a novel with 500+ thousand words, all you need is perseverance and consistency. You can't finish a novel if you do not start writing.

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
One must like own's story to be able persist towards the ending one envisions. Mastery of your plot.
Inspiration.
Schedule (if not, make notes whenever idea comes)

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Motivation to finish something that originally started out of spite and turned into a helpful hobby is the only reason I can work on new chapters. It's just fun for me now.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Mine is actually something basic as in that I just can't build proper sentences or I usually am stuck on the part of which words to fit in the scenario.

I got inspiration, I have ideas to create a good story. Hell, even if I'm description blind, I can still give out simple basic description that should be easy as to what I portray. The problem I have is mainly to build a proper sentences sequences to continue such as how do I make sense of the ideas I have.

I can write up a girl walking down a street but how do I even express her such that the scenario I had would fit would be correct or how do I even make it such that my sentences are delivered right without messing it up.

TL;DR: I am like a coder who was trying out a code that would run but I kept making errors without knowing what was wrong.

DollarForADevil

Most people here just write system based novels. It's the only thing that gets viewership. The reader base has specific things if you don't fit them, no one will really read them. One of the novel's I'm writing someone else started at the same time as me and has several degrees of magnitude of viewership because all they did was write a lazy skinners box, the audience here is just addicted to a certain thing that they feel as though they can relate to and feel as if something they are experiencing something. Most reader's are often tired and skim through the novel's themselves. Finding viewership is something I've accepted as just not happening and writing the stories I want to tell.

Last edited:

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
I begin chapter, then I wait until a good idea strikes. When I do, I write part of the chapter, and then the cycle begins again

M.G.Driver

Most people here just write system based novels. It's the only thing that gets viewership. The reader base has specific things if you don't fit them, no one will really read them. One of the novel's I'm writing someone else started at the same time as me and has several degrees of magnitude of viewership because all they did was right a lazy skinners box, the audience here is just addicted to a certain thing that they feel as though they can relate to and feel as if something they are experiencing something. Most reader's are often tired and skim through the novel's themselves. Finding viewership is something I've accepted as just not happening and writing the stories I want to tell.
System-based Smut with Harem is where it's at.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
I find that deciding to walk to the store helps. It gives my brain nothing else to pay attention to, so it wanders and helps me clear a lot of the thoughts making me get stuck. Also as I've been writing I notice what things in my story are easier to write and include more of them. For example, it takes me a long time math out stat sheets and skills, and it's just not that fun for me. So I do it less and add more warm cozy scenes since they are the most fun for me. I like when people like my novel too, but in the end if I don't like it then it will never get finished. Probably.

DWinchester

I've been criticized by my style, but here are my ways to 'persevere':
  • Before I write my first chapter, I plan my story from start to finish. As in, I already know the ending before I get down to write the story, up to the chapters' contents.
This. I have the outline of the whole book written, and a rough idea of what needs to happen in each chapter to get to the desired end. It's a lot less pressure to write when you know what needs to happen. At least that's what works for me!

On writing days, I also don't let myself do anything "fun" until the chapter is done. The combination of the two makes it relatively painless. I have two stories just above 20 chapters, and one that is over 60 now, so (even if no one reads them) I'm doing something right.

JayDirex

I've been trying to write a novel at least 20 chapter but I keep failing. Somehow, I just can't bring myself to write. Maybe I'm too lazy but what about you? How do you guys persist on creating another chapter consistently?
Readers, mang.

I write chapters up until the readers stop reading them (usually if the per chapter reader count drops under 30 views in a 5 days) Then I'm OUT!! STORY DROPPED!!!

I don't write to an empty room.

UberNuber

The truth is that you just have to sit down and write.

That procrastinating voice in the back of you head happens to everyone. Either you beat it off with a stick or you're sitting at your computer looking at BS random news articles or cooking recipes or fighting videos for hours on end when you should have been writing.

The Muse exists in all of us, but you have to work or she won't sing.

D

Deleted member 54065

The truth is that you just have to sit down and write.

That procrastinating voice in the back of you head happens to everyone. Either you beat it off with a stick or you're sitting at your computer looking at BS random news articles or cooking recipes or fighting videos for hours on end when you should have been writing.

The Muse exists in all of us, but you have to work or she won't sing.
Yep. Self-discipline and focus, or nothing at all.

There are times when I have to write, and I don't want to. But, because I'm on a self-imposed deadline, I beat myself to it. Even if I write as little as 500 words a day, till my 'writing mode' comes and 'explode' to cough up to 8k,10k or 12k.

UberNuber

Yep. Self-discipline and focus, or nothing at all.

There are times when I have to write, and I don't want to. But, because I'm on a self-imposed deadline, I beat myself to it. Even if I write as little as 500 words a day, till my 'writing mode' comes and 'explode' to cough up to 8k,10k or 12k.

Same, no matter what I WILL release 1 chapter every 2 days (mine only range 2-3k words).

Sometimes, the Muse is strong and I'll write a 'perfect' chapter in one sitting in a couple hours. Other times, I'm sitting at the computer for four hours and squeeze out 400 words.

i already experienced most of them in my dream, so i can just take it easy in real life and get more sleep.

like last night i dreamed of someone named stefano who went inside my house and killed three police officers with a sniper rifle. instead of getting arrested he actually went viral on youtube, with one short where he says, "I did not kill that man." with a funny accent. he's also a sick bass player.

i remember hiding behind my couch as the rest of the officers dragged him away across the entrance, he just made a smug smile as if the song, "mama i'm a criminal" plays in the background

later on, i went to the second floor of my house and found that it looked like the dungeon in quake games. i didn't even find any bloodstains at the scene of the crime. but i did remember seeing several jail cells with a buff man having a chicken head, instead of a human head.

Last edited: