How do you guys write Conversations?

Solstice1309

I’ve read some stories in which sometimes it’s hard to understand who’s talking.
How do you guys deal with this problem?

Like mention the speaker’s name with a hyphen or in brackets?
Or use ‘said *****’, or ‘**** cried out’ and so on?
Or emphasize only when the mc is talking, leaving other characters to the readers?

Nhatduongg

Yuyuko Saigyouji, The Dreaming Ghost
“(Something).” A said.
“(Something).” B replied.

Then remove the tags if it’s between 2 people, keep them if it’s between 3+ people (you do want to avoid repeating words if that’s the case though).

Then again I guess a lot of people is doing like me.

EternalSunset0

I just use "said" or one of the multiple variations of it. Once it's established that two people are talking and who's saying what, I can do away with it. At times, I mention the name of the other person in the actual dialogue to make things clearer.

SailusGebel

I don't think it's necessary to mention speaker's names all the time if it's two people talking. You can guess who is who as people usually speak one by one. If it's more than two people, instead of 'she said', 'he mumbled', and so on, you can describe small actions after the speech is over. Like: 'she tucked her hair behind her ear', or 'he chewed on his lip', etc.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Mainly imagination of how a normal conversation would went. Even if its artificially, its still a conversation nonetheless. If you want to create a good conversation, start imagine a senario where characters would normally talk, even if you can't describe who talks who.

A simple 'Hello' or 'Hi' can be a good conversational starter if you aren't good at writing dialogues but try to be creative in how your characters talk. Even an introvert would try to make up a senario where characters talk in their minds, mainly how their talks would go or how the conversation would happen.

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
The first thing I do with a character is develop their voice. Everybody talks differently. Some people have accents. Choice of words, cadence and grammar use/abuse can immediately give readers an idea of who's who in dialogue.

I have a redneck character. He cusses out of hand like it's nobody's business. A lot of his dialogue/narration is comparing the new isekai world to something back home. Or making a metaphor/simile/idiom of some variety. He isn't excessively formal or eloquent.

I have a witch character. She reads lots of books and has lots of fancy ideas. Despite all of that, she's a social trainwreck, and doesn't have a lot of confidence. She wants to sound smarter or more well read than she really is but doesn't have the confidence to back it up.

If these two characters saw a third party making a mistake, they wouldn't point it out the same way.

Maybe our witch would say:

"Y-you really, made a bit of a- you're not doing that too well."

Maybe the redneck would instead say:
"Bless your heart."

This can work for as many characters you can fit into a scene as you're comfortable with. It works best with highly contrasting voices.

When I'm writing dialogue, I try and play it back like a theater production. Characters exist and interact on whatever stage you put them on. You can even skip over having dialogue markers, he said, she said, if exposition/narration follows along naturally from what a character is saying. Not every verb associated with dialogue needs to be used with dialogue, language that describes broader actions can make just as much sense. I treat my characters like performers on a stage, they do stuff with their hands and bodies apart from flapping their lips.

Compare:

"Oh, y'all will just have to forgive me," Buck said, as he bowed his head in deferrence to the pastor.

To:

"It's no problem at all, child!" Friedrich must not have minded, after all, he came from a more provincial, less-ceremonial denomination.

Instead of writing just back and forth dialogue, set your characters up in a situation. People get interrupted. Maybe they're riding horses and their steed gets spooked. People can walk and talk. Having unbroken chunks of dialogue is just as boring as having unbroken exposition. Break up strict dialogue. One way I do it is by having viewpoint characters mentally summarize conversations. Your readers aren't going to pour over every word of dialogue for hidden meaning. Doubly so if it includes exposition. Dialogue is at it's best for dramatic purposes, not for expositing things for the reader. Anytime I feel like I have one character dumping exposition on another, I'll usually go back and reword it. Turn what may be two or three paragraphs of dialogue into one that's briefer.

Compare the following two examples

"Now see, what ya got with an internal combustion engine is a bunch of cylinders and pistons. And some pumps, a lot of tubes, and oil, too. We take some fun stuff called gasoline that's real flammable, and it comes from oil made of dead stuff, and we combust it up inside of these. So we got these cylinders and inside them is pistons, and you can think of it like... Churning butter, the piston moves up and down in the cylinder, with one end on a spinning shaft that moves all the power out. We spray the gasoline in the top part between the piston head and the cylinder, then we set it on fire with a little bit of uh, basically a little bit of lightning. Gasoline goes boom, turns into a gas and that expands, pushes down on the cylinder, that cylinder spins the shaft which goes to another piston and makes it all squeeze up, it repeats." Buck calmly explained the device for Alex.

"That sounds dangerous!" Alex balked at the idea. "And you had to use these things because nobody had come up with magic, or a spell engine or anything like that?"

"Well, yeah! Ya can get these things spinnin' up at thousands of times a minute. What's the alternative, ridin' a horse that does like, one thing a minute? But I'll tell ya what. One thing goes wrong on it, kablam! I had an uncle once, he worked on this car, we called them hot rods because they were... Hot, y'know, they got really hot and went really fast and usually uh, straight. Like a rod. Hence the name, I figure, of hot rod. Well he hot rodded his old Ford- Ford made engines and we used the engines in uh, metal wagons we called cars- and it went real fast. Right up until one of them pistons flew out and punched his clock in, he lost half his teeth and most of his brain." The man calmly recited the incident like it was nothing in the world.
Now compare:

"So we had these things called Internal combustion engines-" Buck explained in depth the strange devices he had a fixation on in his supposed old world. Great constructs of metal and oil, fueled by combusting fluids and using tremendous power and engineering to... Spin a metal shaft at extreme speed. It all sounded quite dangerous to Alex. Buck spoke of it with great excitement, about how specific mixtures of air and fuel made the best power, and the many potential uses of rapidly spinning metal poles. He talked at great length of their workings and how they could be used- completely nonmagically- to heat and cool the inside of metal wagons, to generate electricity to be harnessed by the vehicle's luxuries, and to spin the metal wheels up at blistering speeds. He made sure to tell Alex of how dangerous they were- how one of his uncles had been rendered stupid and mute by one engine exploding. Even that couldn't stop his excitement to talk about them. "-and that's the power of German engineerin'!"
The former is a very clear explanation of a car engine delivered by a redneck engineer. It's technically accurate. The latter is also an explanation of a car engine, but filtered through the mind of a woman that has never once had an inkling of what an internal combustion engine is.

It's still a dialogue, but if you're establishing characters and making sure they have distinct ways of communicating, then you can also take a few shorthands with actually WRITING dialogue. It's a bit of a cheat. I don't feel the least bit bad about using it.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
If it's between two people I would jut say who speaks at the start and that would be enough.
If it's more, I'd use occasional "X said" but I try to avoid the situation when more than two people talk at once
In fact, I believe it's best to avoid direct speech when you can. Write things out through the narrator and sprinkle in the dialogue bits you want highlighting the start and the end of a conversation.
Unless you use the dialogue for some purpose other than just have the characters converse (you want to leave the spoken details for later as proof that one character lied, or use the character speaking as a part of a powerplay - those would require you to write the conversations out, but they naturally force you to approach them creatively and rarely have more than two characters speaking at once), having the narrator speak can allow for more flexibility and it will also help to get rid of the unnecessary bits, making the narrative cleaner and clearer

Last edited:

Jemini

I tend to use the approach of "(single sentence or interjecting sound)" X said. "(the rest of the content of what X says.)"

That goes for longer paragraph-size statements anyway. For shorter 1 or 2 sentence statements, I just use "(words)" X said.

I also sometimes on rare occasions use the strategy @TrashyHuman mentioned as well.

It is a very interesting question, and harder to manage than most people realize going in. You need a variety of strategies.

Muddy

There are several ways I write conversation. My most basic of conversations are with simple dialog tags:
“Shouldn’t have done that,” I mumbled. “Not for me.”

“Yeah, seeing your latest stunt maybe I really shouldn’t have,” he agreed.

I only use the above format when the reader is already intimately familiar with the characters, or when there is a lot of information to convey. When the reader doesn't yet know the characters I tend to add a lot of extra descriptors:
“Dad! Wai–” Shae burst out of the front door.

“What did you do to my daughter!” Onar bellowed over Shae’s shout. He rushed towards her, wrapping himself around her body protectively.

These descriptors are needed because the majority of a conversation is non-verbal. The actions and mannerisms of the speaker matter. Same with the way the listener reacts. By describing things like this I can do a significant amount of character building, even in the middle of the dialog. In fact, if you're having trouble imagining (and putting into words) your character's non-verbal communication, then that might be a sign that you need to spend some more time fleshing out your characters.

Sometimes I even go a step beyond that, with chunks of a conversation being entirely nonverbal:
“She’s fine Reya, they only took a chunk out of her clothes.” Gery attempted to save the woman’s sanity. “It’s all their blood.”

Gery’s words were an obvious lie. There was no way something ripping that large of a hole in a gambeson wouldn’t lead to grievous injury. “Yep, totally fine.” I jumped in to support him anyway, smiling at the startled woman.

The woman’s hands snapped away from my shoulders and she darted back. I looked past her, up at Gery in confusion.

“Right um… Reya here is our overly-outspoken worrywart.” Gery saved me once more.

Occasionally I do the opposite, stripping out everything except the spoken word. When this is done sparsely it stands out, making the spoken words hit home extra hard:
“This might kill him no matter what I do.”

There are two other common dialogue styles that I don't really use. The first way is a sort of list style. This one works really well if you need to convey lots of information compactly. It does not work with more than two people talking, and you need an introductory paragraph to indicate who is the first person to speak.
The chief ambled over to the detective's desk and knocked on it to get his attention.

- You still working on that Sanderson case?
- Yeah, all of out leads are turning into dead ends though. Don't think I'll crack it anytime soon.
- Might want to check in with forensics then. Heard the boys down there have got some new tricks they want to impress you with.

The second way is LN style. This is IMHO by far the hardest style to write dialogue in. There are only spoken words, making it much harder to get the nuances of non-verbal communication to the reader. This style often doesn't even tell you who is speaking, requiring the reader to infer the speaker from the choice of words, the context, and the speech patterns of the speaker.
"You still working on that Sanderson case?"
"Yeah, all of our leads are turning into dead ends though. Don't think I'll crack it anytime soon."
"Might want to check in with forensics then. Heard the boys down there have got some new tricks they want to impress you with."

The English language has fewer differentiators than Japanese, and as a result, is much worse at pushing speech patterns into spoken words. So LN translators (and native English language LN) will often add speaker tags:
"You still working on that Sanderson case?" [Chief]
"Yeah, all of out leads are turning into dead ends though. Don't think I'll crack it anytime soon." [Detective]
"Might want to check in with forensics then. Heard the boys down there have got some new tricks they want to impress you with." [Chief]

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I always notice when it isn't clear who's speaking. For a long time I had a problem where I had to specify who was speaking with every single paragraph, and I started to hate dialogue. Adding nonverbal communication helped a lot.

But what really helped was going into first person. 😏 After all, having 'I' adds a whole 'nother pronoun to use. Then you can have a clear conversation between two people without ever mentioning their names.
Okay, it's just a boring cheat.

You should always remind your readers who is talking though. Those LN cases, or those spots where you're so sure you've clearly characterized the voice enough that any reader would know who's talking, those are where readers lose the flow of the conversation. Especially when you don't identify who is talking, and your readers say, "Well, it must be this person, but... is that really something they would say?" 🤔

Hmm... That's all really good guidance. One note, you are usually better off just starting a new setence instead of using, "said, as." Reserve "as" for those cases where simultaneity is important. Most of the time in English, the sequencing of events is implicit and indicated by word order and tense.
A couple other hints on adding variety to your dialogue:
1. Dialogue tags don't have to go at the end. Use them to help pace out you dialogue.
2. Have characters address each other directly.
3. Instead of just relying on names and pronouns, you can use distiguishing features and traits to refer to your characters. Note: the traits may be transient.
4. Even if you only have two people talking, still use dialogue tags every few paragraphs to help the reader keep track.

-----
"Hey," my voice tickled the back of Ella's ear, "penny for your thoughts?"

The elf tipped her head back to look at me. "Is that really what you want to know?"

I smiled back, "Hmm... It is if they're licentious. But," I captured her left hand in my own, "what'd really like to know is: how can I get this wallflower to dance?"

"You could ask."

I raised the back of her hand to my lips and kissed it.

"My lady, may I have this dance?"
-----

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
"I type them like" I started calmly, taking a sip of my monster ultra "then add something else".
"No way!"
"Yes way...." damn this monster ultra is quite good~ "and I would have it no other way"
"What an absolute boomer!" my friend exclaimed, not being able to get over my choice of drink.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
You can vary it up with dialogue tags and action beats.

Ex: "Hey, butt-head, I'm talking to you." The asshole threw a crumpled paper ball at his head.
Alex turned and flipped him the bird, saying, "Fuck you!"
"What was that?" The asshole stormed across the desk and shoved Alex. "Say that again, fuck-face!"
So Alex flipped him the bird once again, saying, "Fuck you!"
And the middle finger turned into an actual bird and pecked the asshole's eyes out.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
You can vary it up with dialogue tags and action beats.

Ex: "Hey, butt-head, I'm. talking to you." The asshole threw a crumpled paper ball at his head.
Alex turned and flipped him the bird, saying, "Fuck you!"
"What was that?" The asshole stormed across the desk and shoved Alex. "Say that again, fuck-face!"
So Alice flipped him the bird once again, saying, "Fuck you!"
And the middle finger turned into an actual bird and pecked the asshole's eyes out.
I'm too high for this...

BlindSerpent

Honestly, the best way to get a hang of it is to go to Amazon and look up some good books with good editors. Like GRRM, Tolkien, Sanderson, Rothfus, etc. and click "look inside" then scroll to dialogue. Simply copy the method. I guarantee it will be the most professional and clear option you'll encounter.