How do you manage writing & drawing?

Aza.Iva

I'm not bad at drawing, but it takes me sooooo long to draw. If I put a time spent writing on top, I can't imagine how people manage to keep it all within deadlines... That's just crazy... Anyone has the same problem as me or is it only me the slow one?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
You don't.
You choose one and forfeit the other. :blob_pout:

Smart and organized people finish writing a volume before scheduling their chapters to have plenty of time to art...definitely not me :blob_teary:

tridetect

Write a lot then release one chapter a week and during that week I focus on drawing.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
You don't.
You choose one and forfeit the other. :blob_pout:

Smart and organized people finish writing a volume before scheduling their chapters to have plenty of time to art...definitely not me :blob_teary:
Wait wait... That is a thing??????? I finish writing my novels ahead of time but struggle to draw for them! :sweating_profusely:
It takes me so long to even think of what to do, or what I want! Then again... my covers are all not great.:blob_teary:

H0LL0W

I write an entire story ahead of time, I draw the cover, then I publish it and auto schedule everything.
Then I work on the next volume in between, or I work on a new project.
Makes me look like I work super fast when I'm just patient.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't. I haven't really drawn much since I was 13-ish.

BackWoodsJ_ACK

Birbs, dog, and burbers
Sadly, I can't draw. :blob_teary:

*Sound of silence starts playing in the background*

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I'm not bad at drawing, but it takes me sooooo long to draw. If I put a time spent writing on top, I can't imagine how people manage to keep it all within deadlines... That's just crazy... Anyone has the same problem as me or is it only me the slow one?

Like all things in life, the more used to you are to doing something, the more proficient you are at it.

EternalSunset0

I write an entire story ahead of time, I draw the cover, then I publish it and auto schedule everything.
Then I work on the next volume in between, or I work on a new project.
Makes me look like I work super fast when I'm just patient.
This is what I do.

tiaf

Wait wait... That is a thing??????? I finish writing my novels ahead of time but struggle to draw for them! :sweating_profusely:
It takes me so long to even think of what to do, or what I want! Then again... my covers are all not great.:blob_teary:
I'm more an artist, so it's the opposite for me...
I have at least 5 specific arc covers/characterart, but haven't finished writing the second arc yet.....

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I'm more an artist, so it's the opposite for me...
I have at least 5 specific arc covers/characterart, but haven't finished writing the second arc yet.....
:blob_teary: :blob_teary: Why can't we do both!?!?!?!?!?!? The gods have abandoned us!

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
Just today, I sat down and wrote in my notes about how exactly I'm going to go about this. I plan for my story to have one illustration per chapter and I really had to sit down to figure it out.

I might end up getting a job in the near future, so I predict I will only have 4 hours a day to work on my next project. I plan on writing 1500 words per chapter and that takes at minimum 40 minutes. Editing it may take 20. Each illustration will be an monochromatic outline, and that may take up to an hour or two depending on how many characters are in the illustration..

So with all that set up, here is what I currently outlined:
  1. I'm going to spend a few weeks writing the rough drafts for the first story arc.
  2. After that's done, I give them their first revision all at once.
  3. The chapters are being planned to be uploaded every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
  4. Start roughing all the planned illustrations.
  5. After this point, the chapters are now being ready to be uploaded for the weekend.
  6. Revise as much as I can for one hour and draw the illustration on the next.
  7. Cycle through this until Thursday. On that day, concentrate on only the upcoming 3 chapters.
  8. Friday, upload the current chapter and illustration, continue to revise chapters and draw illustrations.
  9. Do the same thing for Saturday.
  10. On Sunday, after uploading the latest chapter, go back to step 6 and repeat
All of this is being squeeze on 4 hours a day to prepare for when I get a job. Even then, this is all just a guess at this point.

What timing to ask this questions today. I feel like I got a good schedule down, but we'll see if things are as easy as I laid it out.

Plus1

Wait, you guys draw? Isn't this a novel site?

tiaf

Wait, you guys draw? Isn't this a novel site?
It is. But a lot also draw their covers or do their character design themselves.

Last edited:

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
I don't manage it. :sweating_profusely: I can spend hours drawing one thing but I can't sit for too long writing stuff. I prefer drawing, coloring and arranging vectors, patterns and stuff like that.

Like... I can make covers and illustrations for my stories but... yeah, I never seem to finish writing them. I don't think I'm terrible at writing, I just.... I can't stick to it... :blob_teary: I've only got one completed original story, and that's a collection of one-shots....