How do you manage writing & drawing?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I'm not bad at drawing, but it takes me sooooo long to draw. If I put a time spent writing on top, I can't imagine how people manage to keep it all within deadlines... That's just crazy... Anyone has the same problem as me or is it only me the slow one?
it's a compromise. You choose one or another. You can do both, but that's up to how well you can manage your time and how much you're willing to sacrifice. you CAN co-opt to tell your stories THROUGH drawings, but you'll heavily dampen your release rate. HOWEVER, this allows you to focus more on visualizing your story beats and FINALLY putting your dreams to life.

but bitch ass motherfuckers here ain't got the time, so we end up on either both ends of the spectrum; but hey, that don't mean you can't break through the mould

Freemints30

Wait, you guys draw? Isn't this a novel site?
I make illustrative novels (ie novels with alot of drawings.) Yeah.

As for managing, take an entire year writing and drawing. Constantly Scrape character designs and by the time you have written 60% of your novel you would have stopped constantly changing and scrapping art work out of exhaustion and had accepted mediocrity.

Aza.Iva

I don't manage it. :sweating_profusely: I can spend hours drawing one thing but I can't sit for too long writing stuff. I prefer drawing, coloring and arranging vectors, patterns and stuff like that.

Like... I can make covers and illustrations for my stories but... yeah, I never seem to finish writing them. I don't think I'm terrible at writing, I just.... I can't stick to it... :blob_teary: I've only got one completed original story, and that's a collection of one-shots....
I just... I just can't... :sweating_profusely: But, I still want to try to do at least one short story from A to Z. I can't imagine how can you finish a story ahead & then plan to illustrate it. Just finishing a story is a lot! Every story I start has the potential for a book worth 200-300 pages! It's hard to illustrate it all, but I WANNA!

*the sound of tears flooding a room to sink in them*
it's a compromise. You choose one or another. You can do both, but that's up to how well you can manage your time and how much you're willing to sacrifice. you CAN co-opt to tell your stories THROUGH drawings, but you'll heavily dampen your release rate. HOWEVER, this allows you to focus more on visualizing your story beats and FINALLY putting your dreams to life.

but bitch ass motherfuckers here ain't got the time, so we end up on either both ends of the spectrum; but hey, that don't mean you can't break through the mould
That sounds weirdly enthusiastic & supportive :blob_joy:

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
I can't imagine how can you finish a story ahead & then plan to illustrate it.
You can illustrate it first and then write it. It's what I do.... except I don't finish writing it... :blob_hide:

LilTV1155

there are 2 of us! 😭
Make 3 of us.

My attentions tend to get jerked around whenever the mood and feels hit especially for drawing and writing depending on the necessity for either skill at the time. For whatever reasons, when art's not needed, my drawing skill immediately improve and my writing skill get shitty at times when I need my writing skill the most like English Writing Class. Unfortunately that also can work in reverse, sudden creative writing stories pops up in Math Class and drawing skills get shitty instead for bizarre reasons.

I'm not bad at drawing, but it takes me sooooo long to draw. If I put a time spent writing on top, I can't imagine how people manage to keep it all within deadlines... That's just crazy... Anyone has the same problem as me or is it only me the slow one?

My best advice?

If you are not an organized person and not the type of person who can time-manage well and also has big issues with attention spans when moods or inspirations hit, then stockpiling may be the opposite of what you need.
It's best that you'd do well to go with the flow.

If your drawing jerks you, then try draw as much as you can in your free time and make copies for records.
If your writing jerks you, then try write as much as you can to save your plots, your creativity, and imagination preservation.

Should either writing and drawing start to decline, you can focus on one and the other while connecting each creative art to your creative writing stories. If you try to fight against the Creative Pull, you might hurt yourself and your creations in the process if you fail to take control and compromise with those Creativity Pull. But should you succeed in winning controls, I congratulate your success. You done well.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Just wing it

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I draw trash stuff, but not trash enough not to dilute the perception and purpose of what’s being conveyed. It allows time to draw
Need drawing/sketching app suggestions for research purposes ☺️
I use IbisPaint

Aza.Iva

It's not related, but just wanted to say that I've got 230 views on my first short story in 3 days! No illustrations there, but I think of making it into manga/webtoon. Sharing coz it feels awesome :blob_joy::blob_party:

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I found out about Photopea recently. Never tested it, but it looks like it might be interesting

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Android, brother. Offline preferred.
CSP can be used 1hour for free every day on phone. Needs internet for some services.
Medibang is free and has all basic tools for beginners.
IbisPaint was already named.

Slaynoir

I enjoy doing both though writing has been my main interest for some time now. I really enjoy drawing though. :D I've a lot of random crap to spare and always doodling in some way.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
I don't think anyone can do both. I draw a little, and write a little.