How do you plan your story?

BlackKnightX

How do you plot, outline, or plan your story? or maybe you don’t plan at all and just write by the seat of your pant? Please share with me your writing process and plotting technique.

Mysticant

Resident Ant
I make a rough outline then improvise as I write it. Now I spend more time thinking than writing. Actually, I already envisioned 1600+(by my guesstimation) chapters worth of content but have not gotten past chapter 60. I should just write though... :blob_hmm:. I gather all my inspiration by procrastinating so I also like to procrastinate. Now, this just sounds terrible.

RayneStorm

The eight sequence method but I usually spend a lot of time before planning brainstorming and working out the character personalities, goals, why they don't have their goal already and what they're willing/not willing to do to get it. Once I have that worked out for all the main characters (yes all. each character would be a protagonist if the perspective was changed) the story tends to flow

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
I usually fart in my own face and hallucinate the plot, then write it down as the fumes poison my mind.

Serious answer: I think about characters, events, and the bigger plot points and then go from there. Worldbuilding is also pretty important for me, so I have a document full of things that can't happen, or have to happen, for some things to take place. Laws, culture, religion, etc. are also important.
I plan a timeline, and started at around 5 million years before the story began. I also thought of a future alternate Earth from which the protagonist came from.

EternalSunset0

How do you plot, outline, or plan your story? or maybe you don’t plan at all and just write by the seat of your pant? Please share with me your writing process and plotting technique.
Outline, then jot down key plotpoints that I insist must happen. List down some key lines that I really, really want to be said too. Or scenes I really want to happen.

Then start working from point A to point B.

most of my planning comes from deciding the story's concept so it fits my writing tendencies to a T.

i would sometimes write shorts and snippets so I can get a better grasp on certain themes for fun.

but when it comes to writing the chapter itself, i kinda just imagine countless scenarios until I'm in the mood for writing but in the end I just let loose and wing it. Though I made sure that the story concept can fit whatever direction I wanna go.

BlackKnightX

I make a rough outline then improvise as I write it. Now I spend more time thinking than writing. Actually, I already envisioned 1600+(by my guesstimation) chapters worth of content but have not gotten past chapter 60. I should just write though... :blob_hmm:. I gather all my inspiration by procrastinating so I also like to procrastinate. Now, this just sounds terrible.
We have a similar writing process. The procrastination bit is just relatable. 😂
From my experience though, after waking up, I went straight to writing my chapter and everything would flow really well.

I usually come up with the main idea first (characters, settings, themes), think of an overarching plot or a few arcs, and always, always decide an ending before I start writing. Trust me, you're much more likely to finish if you have an ending you're working towards!

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Uh... Step one Dream! Step two... I only usually know the arcs themselves. How they get there is usually winging it? Like I know the beginning, middle, and end. :blob_melt: I keep track of everything by using a notebook to write stuff down.

BlackKnightX

most of my planning comes from deciding the story's concept so it fits my writing tendencies to a T.

i would sometimes write shorts and snippets so I can get a better grasp on certain themes for fun.

but when it comes to writing the chapter itself, i kinda just imagine countless scenarios until I'm in the mood for writing but in the end I just let loose and wing it. Though I made sure that the story concept can fit whatever direction I wanna go.
I was a fan of your Random Drabbles. 😂

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Step 1: brainstorm
Step 2: Visualize
Step 3: Make a Begining, middle and end point.
Step 4: Begin to make a simple plotline
Step 5: Outline Key Points to the story
Step 6: Begin Writing
Step 7: Realize that it barely covers what you want to write.
Step 8: Hesitate to write it in a short story.
Step 9: Terrified of Readers liking the story and proceed to ask more
Step 10: Running out of ideas and another brainstorm for a new story popped up.
Step 11: Fck!
Step 12: This is Bullsht!
Step 13:Tries to calm down
Step 14: Remembers still having unfinished novels
Step 15: Fck Fck!
Step 16: Lay down and Rest
Step 17: Starts to Procrastinate
Step 18: Get readers to ask for more chapter
Step 19: Play Games
Step 20: Repeat Step 1

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I get inspired and just start writing. I have a rough outline but often toss it out in favor of what my characters want to do.

D

Deleted member 61829

1. I brainstorm a lot while about to fall asleep or the first thing when I wake up. If I have a dream that will go nice with the story I write it down, and then immediately think how I’m going to add that to my novel.
2. I usually write down what I want to happen in the story in a little unorganized word doc. Like Zira does this or she falls in love with this person and Francais does this, but it usually changes throughout the writing process. Again just brainstorming.
3. I immediately start writing the first thing that comes to my mind—which is usually the ending. I can usually write 10,000 words in a day, but it needs heavy editing. Sometimes I publish it immediately without editing if I think it’s okay, but then when I go back to read it I regret it and edit it immediately. When I first published Zira of Yendenburg I had a lot of revisions. I use scrivener on the iPad to help me organize my chapters.
4. Publish the chapter then get started on the other chapter.
5. Repeat 3 and 4 until I have enough chapters to call it a novella then go back re-read the novella and then cry because its terrible and then have the urge to delete it and make my readers angry again. Trust me I had a lot of angry readers last year! (I’m so sorry!).
6. Brainstorm the second novel and then start writing it after I have about 30 chapters or until the book is halfway done Or after I have written the last chapter first.
7. Go to sleep and restart 3 and 4 until its done! :)))
8. Get writer’s block and stop writing for years lmao.
I don’t outline. I can’t really grasp outlining due to my mental impairment, and so I just write until I’m satisfied.

RaizarP

A Giga Chad
Make a novel plan -> wrote 1 chapter of 1K words -> sleep -> continue your writing. work for me

Underload

I dream. Then forget the dream. Wallow in misery. Let my protagonist feel my misery.

Mysticant

Resident Ant
Oh boy, wait until you find out that 1600 chapters are just for the first part, and it links back to the prologue that I made especially for that ending. There is another 700-800 chapters worth of ideas stocked once the MC hits the immortal realm and then the ending of the entire novel revolves back to the prologue again. Therefore, I have planned out a prologue for an ending that is 2400 chapters later which I am not even chapter 60 at. Am I just a genius or what? Let me answer that for you, I am a goddamn retard. I could have written a standard opening but chose some ridiculous cryptic shit for all of this crap cause I got inspiration from LOTM.

I can understand why my novel is not popular, would probably never be unless I complete the novel but you know what? I don't care, I just love my envisioned ending. Thus, I also like my starting for the very same reason. No regrets even if I never finish this piece.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Step 1: Think of characters.
Step 2: Think of scenario.
Step 3: Toss a bunch of those characters into that scene, let them do what they want, and see what comes out of it by the end.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I write whatever comes to mind and hope something good comes out of it. The only thing I plan is the beginning, climax and ending.