How do you promote your story? Just curious

Agentt

Thighs
Even if his name was originally Rick Ashley it's Rick Astley now... Also, you're supposed to click the link, not go to my profile. I should start writing something so my signature is more believable...
A spy got to do what a spy got to do.

xluferx

Depending on sites the whole promotion differs like in an old site I used to write I pretty much added my history to many groups related to the tags.
In fanfiction i pretty much just wrote it and updated at certain hours when people will be lazying off giving more exposure when they check the update logs.

In other it kind off work like a social media that you must have a certain amount of followers to propel enough so completely random readers can find it.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
Eyyy, another wholesome story enjoyer. I respect you.

Too bad my story still in the early state where romance is not yet possible.

I will write about romance when I learn to understand the concept.

Ace_Raven

I will write about romance when I learn to understand the concept.
Like "what is love?"

You don't always need that for a romance stories.

Like "Violet Evergarden" for example.

It's not about what love, it's about discovering what is love.

If you want to write romance story, just write it and you will progressingly learn with your character.

You can add drama, comedy, or even action to balance the story when you feel stuck with only romance.

Like, this guy try to confess to this beautiful girl and sadly got turned down.

But, later that day he discover that the girl is actually part of underground crime syndicate. And her family behind the scenes run the entire city.

His involvement with this world would only means suffering for him. Because he is weak, clumsy, fool.

But at the end of the story.
Because he is weak, clumsy, fool, he got the girl. Girls even perhaps. I don't know political marriage for power is something common right?

Yeah something like that where the romance is exist but only as backdrop.

Romance irl is often suck or boring so you need to exaggerate. Make it as sweet as possible or make something to help the story not to fall apart.

Or just write story about how to move on from break up. That still counts as romance i believe.

Imagine if you dated your best friend but, the things just not working and both of you decide to break up.

You cloud write it from multiple pov.

And explore what changes, who will help male and female lead move on, how this affects their previous status as best friend.

Yeah like that. Anyway good luck.

WasatchWind

Romance irl is often suck or boring so you need to exaggerate. Make it as sweet as possible or make something to help the story not to fall apart.

I disagree. Someone who is a good enough writer won't have to make romance unrealistically dramatic or passionate. But I do think that I should actually try to do... you know, date some people before I try writing too much about it.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
I disagree. Someone who is a good enough writer won't have to make romance unrealistically dramatic or passionate. But I do think that I should actually try to do... you know, date some people before I try writing too much about it.
Romance is a joke irl. It’s basically devolved into Netflix and chill while you stare at your phones and text each other back and forth while you’re literally sitting right next to each other.

WasatchWind

Romance is a joke irl. It’s basically devolved into Netflix and chill while you stare at your phones and text each other back and forth while you’re literally sitting right next to each other.

Maybe from your perspective. Personally, I know many couples, my parents, my two older sisters and their husbands, my friend and his fiancé, and more, that to me are much more powerful than the fantastic romances I see in many movies and TV shows.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Maybe from your perspective. Personally, I know many couples, my parents, my two older sisters and their husbands, my friend and his fiancé, and more, that to me are much more powerful than the fantastic romances I see in many movies and TV shows.
Take a look at China where romance is dead, this is effectively what romance boils down to there. As for upcoming generations, have you actually seen them in school?

WasatchWind

Take a look at China where romance is dead, this is effectively what romance boils down to there. As for upcoming generations, have you actually seen them in school?
Well, I'm currently in college, so no, I'm not really seeing what kids in high school are like. My younger sister is dating a guy she likes though.

But I'm from the US, and a more conservative part of it, so that will probably be far different than China.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Well, I'm currently in college, so no, I'm not really seeing what kids in high school are like. My younger sister is dating a guy she likes though.

But I'm from the US, and a more conservative part of it, so that will probably be far different than China.
Conservative less populous areas probably aren’t as bad yet for this, but big cities dense in population... good luck with romance. It’s all about work, careers, and the grind. Nobody has time for romance anymore. People either get together so they can afford a place to stay, or they work their ass to death so they don’t need to rely on someone else.

Ace_Raven

Remember i said often, i know that not all of them is. But most of them often true. Yeah, sadly. I know.

Well if you spend your time observing or even hear about person's relationships.

mark my words,

it will only be sweet as you make it to be.
Don't wait, don't run away.

Most of people who spends their time becoming girlfriend and boyfriend won't last.

It's about devotion and understanding.

Plan your time together and it will last for eternity. But, if you ever felt bored then it is already a bad sign.

The steps of significant other is like this,

First is curiosity
Second is love
Third is affection
Forth is responsibility
Fifth is devotion
Sixth is understanding.

This is how human perceive their relationship. Don't confuse love with lust. There is no love on the first sights.

Love only born from knowing, and you only know because curiosity.

The true love is not the act of love it is the affection, devotion, understanding, and responsibility. All combined.

And that is how you got married.

After you got married dating is a child's play on comparison.

That's also why people who got divorce exist. Not all relationship work without the after mentioned true love.

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Tbh, there is only one effective way of promoting your story... Update it frequently.

There is no advertising tool as powerful as Scribblehub's front page. Regular updates will naturally make you gain more readers, especially if you're able to reach trending, which will give you a huge boost in readers since you'll be in the front page for a longer time.

That's it. Don't bother too much with other advertising tools because you'll be mostly wasting your time.

If anything, advertising your story in your forum signature doesn't hurt. It takes basically no time at all to set this up and you might maybe get the attention of a dozen forum users or so... It's a pitiful and mostly unremarkable number, but it's better than nothing for a minimal effort, so you might as well do it.

Kuropon

Popular tags and frequent updates the best way to advertise. Most readers will go through the popular stories and then start going through the other stories in line. If they see a story that has like an update rate of 1 chapter a week or 1 chapter a month most of them will evade it.

This is the truth of the webnovel game, chappy updates rate is paramount to your success. If your quality doesn't dip too much due to the fast uploads then you will be one of the golden boys or girls.

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
*points at signature* click there lol

ok jokes aside, i just find communities of people with like-minded interests and engage with them. like i write BL? great, find BL peeps to talk to. @BL_Palace has been great for us writers so far (tho we could use more readers to comment instead of lurk lol).

also, commit to your stories and update them regularly. there are literally readers who bookmark c1 and wait for 50 more so they can binge them all later. they've been trained by NU releases to be patient and wait before devouring new prey because so many authors...just up and abandon their works (i'm guilty of this too).

make your presence known. probably dozens/hundreds of new stories are published everyday. you're only a drop in the ocean, so you gotta do more splashes to make more than a single ripple in the waves. be active in writer communities, maybe participate in reader/review exchanges, trade shoutouts with other, more well-known authors in the same genres to link to your works, etc. you can make a twitter or whatever, but until you're well-known yourself it's prolly more helpful to reach out to others for a pull here and there.

for my part i had a partially established readerbase from my translations so it was just a simple matter of going "hey i wrote this OG fic, wanna have a look" and pasted a link. ehhh the effects aren't as obvious here on SH because i came later but it worked wonders for the story in question i posted on Wattpad.

last but not least, ensure quality. by that i mean your story should at least make sense. readers can bear with bad grammar and stuff (look at how popular MTL is) but if there are inconsistencies or plotholes everywhere and the prose is downright boring, good luck finding anyone to stick around!

just my two cents. disclaimer: i'm a casual who writes for myself so take my advice with a grain of salt, hahaha