How do you properly advertise your own work?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Here's a question everyone wants to ask but is too afraid to.

Self-Advertising

We're no stranger to this topic, believe me. Even the best works on the site has gone through some pretty heavy advertising, whether by self or by others.

So,
how do you do it? Properly, that is.

We all know that spamming that URL doesn't work.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
Uh... Generally speaking, I don't. I don't like advertising my own things, even if someone is asking for recommendations and their requirements fit my stories to to a T, because it just feels like I'm using their request for a good read to acquire more readers.
I just put up the chapters, put a post on my profile and discord, and that's that.
The only advertising for my novel is passive advertisement down there V

D

Deleted member 9915

...by being outrageous and shameless.

Jokes aside, CONSISTENCY is the key. Updates, Quality, and sometimes interacting with readers. The story otself will gather loyal readers I think. Not that I'm experienced but just what I had observed from 'top' grossing online novels.

I'm no expert so you take my 'advice' with a grain of sugar. XD

ThunderingSnow

You could also just look at the NU forums and see if someone's looking for a storu like yours, and recommend it to them~

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
If not on writing forums, post updates on social media. Cross posting your story on other platforms also garners attention.

Scribbler

Ask your readers to share it with their friends if they enjoyed it! The best advertising is word of mouth!

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Self-Advertising

We're no stranger to this topic, believe me. Even the best works on the site has gone through some pretty heavy advertising, whether by self or by others.

So,

Honestly? I dont. I post to multiple sites now bu I dont advertise. I just let the story speak for itself. If it's good enough, people like it. I notice when it comes to my story it's either really loved or really hated. For the former I kinda dont understand it. Like seriously. Hell my Deity stat even went up by +1 lol...some dude's comment was all, "this author is my new god"....fucking hilarious. Weird, eh? That's what I'm talking about.

As for the latter I DO understand since my story is a mess but i dont know why they feel so personally offended by something not meant to be taken seriously to begin with--which I make clear from the get go.

It's not like I go out of my way to tell people outside of the community about my work. On webnovel alone I've got like a million viewers. Dunno how many actually read everything but still that good enough for me.

The only site I MIGHT try learning how to advertise my story in would be wattpad and only cuz you dont get many viewers if you dont learn how to advertise there properly.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Eye-catching signature advertisements, mentioning or recommending it when someone's looking for your sort of story, sliding it into discussion here and there where it's relevant... Basically everything I do to advertise the Yuri Garden and the Yuri Writing Help Room currently.

It's also important to build good relationships with both your readers and with other writers. By doing your best to help other authors promote their stories, by writing reviews or recommending them to others, you're more likely to become a person that other authors want to support too.
I do these things on principal anyway, since I believe that you should wholeheartedly support the things you like rather than only tearing down what you hate, but... It's a good habit if you're not in it already.
Likewise, readers are even more likely to recommend your story if they like you. If you treat them badly, they'll stop reading.

(I don't have anything published here yet, but I've had stories on other sites in the past.)

S-Scherr

I want to say, tell everyone it's a 'superhero story', even if it's not and then hope they read it anyway... lol.

My point is, you can advertise all over the place, you can pay money to get it done, and it still might not matter. Sometimes you get lucky with the timing and tell the right story at the right time, when the type of story you tell is extremely popular. Other times, you might have a damn masterpiece that no one reads because they've never heard your story splash loud enough in this vast story-filled ocean. Best thing you can do is write the best story you can, one you enjoy writing, and if takes off... great... but if doesn't, that's okay, too. Just take every lesson learned from writing one story and apply it to the next. Hell, the real victory is in completing the damn thing. That's building self-confidence, commitment, and showing you what it takes to dig in and write what you want to write... even if no one else is reading.

I share it if someone ask for it.

I also put something in my profie for my works at Ao3.

I don't really do active advertisements though.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Never tell someone to read my fictions. If they asked, I'll give the link.

My goal is pretty much getting someone to recommend my fiction to their friends.

Nyan_sempai

,✨ ILLUSTRATOR ✨

Self-Advertising

So,

Hmm... I have no works here yet. I would also like to know of ways to advertise it if I ever write one.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Uh... Generally speaking, I don't. I don't like advertising my own things, even if someone is asking for recommendations and their requirements fit my stories to to a T, because it just feels like I'm using their request for a good read to acquire more readers.
I just put up the chapters, put a post on my profile and discord, and that's that.
The only advertising for my novel is passive advertisement down there V

I've tried that before for a good three years, actually. I've done stuff on other sites and most of the time they come back void. Even as indirect or respectable I could possibly be on merely mentioning my work the other guy with big bold URL links right next to his every sentences seem to grab more bait than anyone else, even as obnoxious as it seems.

Maybe I'm just down in the luck department but seeing as how it worked out for you, yeah, maybe I'll try that again.

Kotohood

Noob Author
There was this one thing that I did back in fiction press where writters set up a system and it goes like, if you read my story, I will read yours and leave a review.

So I would try to reach out as many authors as posible, but it ended becoming too much for me since well, It's not easy reading so many novels at once.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
I've tried that before for a good three years, actually. I've done stuff on other sites and most of the time they come back void. Even as indirect or respectable I could possibly be on merely mentioning my work the other guy with big bold URL links right next to his every sentences seem to grab more bait than anyone else, even as obnoxious as it seems.

Maybe I'm just down in the luck department but seeing as how it worked out for you, yeah, maybe I'll try that again.
For me it's more that I don't like doing that sort of thing than that I do it because it works. I'm sure there are ways to get more viewers, but the basic strategy of "write and they will come" seems to work okay for me. It also helps that i'm doing this as a hobby rather than as a way of making money, so I have no particular need other than ego to get more readers. I just write as well as I can, when I can, and hope people like it.

mesa

Does scribblehub allow you use to use paid advertising on their site?