Writing How do you stay focus on writing?

Kotohood

Noob Author
I'm sure you have all done it. You write something for like 10 mins, you have the momentum, you have the idea, and you have the skills.

Then suddenly. Pop! A new notification from your phone, or you ran out of water or you simply hit a writing block. Then, you decided eh, I'll take a 5 minutes break and the next thing you know you take another 5 and another 5.

Bam a whole day gone with no progress.

So back to the question, how do you keep focus when writing a story? What are your tips?

For me, I just play relaxing piano/anime music. Two to three hours long one and I force myself to do it. As long as the song keeps playing, I could keep going, but the moment it stops. Well... Rip.

TLDR: I lose focus too much, need some tips on how to stop. :blob_no:

Elateam

Fish and Chips Salesperson
Keeping myself from being distracted is kind of hard to say because I literally get ideas for my next few chapters from dreaming. So it's the motivation of not forgetting what I dreamt about that keeps me from being distracted in a way. I also keep a jug of water when I write or maybe a pack of water bottles if I'm lazy enough but music for me is a no go. When I listen to any kind of music I literally can't write. I don't know why. It just doesn't work. Rather than listening to anything, I actually sit in solitude writing for countless hours. Maybe I'm weird :sweating_profusely:

Edit: I keep my phone off when I write as well. One point it got so bad I deliberately had to drain the power so I wouldn't use it until after I finished writing.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
  • I listen to instrumental music whether it be piano or violin, even electronical music as well, but they have to match the mood of my writing. This keeps me engaged as I type out a dramatic scene, or even a sad one.
  • I also write a story outline, this keeps me on track, writing down to a plan which shortens my writing time as well as keeps me focused.
  • I watch something or talk to friends before I write, conversations and interesting media always inspire me, and when I am inspired, I just write everything out instead of struggling over text or an outline.
  • Respond to comments / look through previous comments, these help with my inspiration, which keeps me focused.
  • Have a drink with you while writing, this usually helps me stay focused, because then I don't have to get up to grab something else, and I want to drink my drink while it is cold, so it keeps me seated, instead of walking around.

I only write stories when I feel like it. If I'm not in the mood, I can just relax and leave it no problem.

I consider it as something fun rather than an obligation, so yeah.

Ninetailed_Furball

Just one thing: plan. Lots of planning, and hard work.
Two things! Lots of planning, and hard work discipline.
Three things! Lots of planning, hard work, and discipline, and keeping distractions away.
Four things!

Ok, enough jokes. But really, for me, it really just boils down to two things. Have a clear idea of what the next few sections of the story is about in as much detail as possible, and having the discipline to making sure I actually sit there and write without getting distracted.

The fact that I'm posting this when my latest chapter is overdue is quite telling as to my success today, but it's worked for the most part. I just messed up and got a planning gap and these unforeseen gaps are my bane, as I keep running and going to youtube for "inspiration".

Kotohood

Noob Author
Keeping myself from being distracted is kind of hard to say because I literally get ideas for my next few chapters from dreaming. So it's the motivation of not forgetting what I dreamt about that keeps me from being distracted in a way. I also keep a jug of water when I write or maybe a pack of water bottles if I'm lazy enough but music for me is a no go. When I listen to any kind of music I literally can't write. I don't know why. It just doesn't work. Rather than listening to anything, I actually sit in solitude writing for countless hours. Maybe I'm weird :sweating_profusely:

Nah, everyone has their own way to cope with things. Sometimes I prefer to stay alone in a dark room with nothing but my phone and writing too.

• I listen to instrumental music whether it be piano or violin, even electronical music as well, but they have to match the mood of my writing. This keeps me engaged as I type out a dramatic scene, or even a sad one.
  • I also write a story outline, this keeps me on track, writing down to a plan which shortens my writing time as well as keeps me focused.
  • I watch something or talk to friends before I write, conversations and interesting media always inspire me, and when I am inspired, I just write everything out instead of struggling over text or an outline.
  • Respond to comments / look through previous comments, these help with my inspiration, which keeps me focused.
  • Have a drink with you while writing, this usually helps me stay focused, because then I don't have to get up to grab something else, and I want to drink my drink while it is cold, so it keeps me seated, instead of walking around.

Interesting, I pretty much do the same as you except the friends part and the comments part.

I only write stories when I feel like it. If I'm not in the mood, I can just relax and leave it no problem.

I consider it as something fun rather than an obligation, so yeah.

That's nice. Too bad it's not really an option for me. If I follow my mood I never get anything done!

That's nice. Too bad it's not really an option for me. If I follow my mood I never get anything done!

I stuck to writing simple things that didn't really require much thinking and the contents can depend on my mood.

Maybe you can do some warming up by keeping that kind of dump. After you're done with playing around the way you want, maybe there's a difference when you finally get to your story?

Kotohood

Noob Author
I stuck to writing simple things that didn't really require much thinking and the contents can depend on my mood.

Maybe you can do some warming up by keeping that kind of dump. After you're done with playing around the way you want, maybe there's a difference when you finally get to your story?

Hmm, that does sound interesting. Having an idea dump where I just write whatever I want. I could try it out one day.

mrsimple

Writer
This might not exactly be what you wanna hear, but how it worked for me was that I wanted to not think about my situation. I had shifted my mind into top gear and wrote. Last year, I kinda lost my sanity by writing at a non-stop pace -- I would forget to eat and didn't sleep. That earned me the nickname Robot. I sleep now, and I also slowed down on my writing, but I still don't want to stop.

On another note... The motivation was a focus, trying to keep my mind occupied, working on constructive creativity that I had fun building. I was God writing up those characters, communities, and worlds. If you are having fun doing something else to pass the time, that's good too. Every one of those five minutes you thought were wasted, that was your head suggesting, "Hey, let's do this instead." That's just you're mind wanting to stop burning and chill out. :blob_melt:

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
I'm sure you have all done it. You write something for like 10 mins, you have the momentum, you have the idea, and you have the skills.

Then suddenly. Pop! A new notification from your phone, or you ran out of water or you simply hit a writing block. Then, you decided eh, I'll take a 5 minutes break and the next thing you know you take another 5 and another 5.

Bam a whole day gone with no progress.

So back to the question, how do you keep focus when writing a story? What are your tips?

For me, I just play relaxing piano/anime music. Two to three hours long one and I force myself to do it. As long as the song keeps playing, I could keep going, but the moment it stops. Well... Rip.

TLDR: I lose focus too much, need some tips on how to stop. :blob_no:

I keep a checklist of my story on my notepad, sometimes in stickies ehehehe... taking a glance at them gets me back on track even when I'm away from the laptop for minutes. (sometimes I watch anime and read in between) If you already have a scenario in your mind better write it down before you forget and get distracted.

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
- Outline
- Music
- Turning off Internet

I swear, YouTube and forums are the bane of my chapter updates.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I can concentrate the best, after taking a nap :blob_melt:
Aside that, only choosing suitable music helps and throwing away the phone far, far away.

karsev

For four years the only thing that has been keeping me is focus is just everyday writing.
I made it a habit that I should write at least 2k words every day. Helps me focus and if I don't do it.
I'll be uncomfortable.