How do you write a compelling friendship that doesn't end in romance?

Sandycat135

Most stories usually have romance, which usually gives them very interesting, compelling, narratives and subplots. Most friendships in these novels end in romance.
I want to write a satisfying friendship that has no romantic elements.
Any ideas?

CrusadeAgainstFurries

Supreme meme-lord
but h o w
Well, two best friends who always bicker with each other, but have emotional scenes where they protect each other and stuff. I guess like in most media, where the main hero has a male friend who is the comedical relief, but when it counts is dependable and would even sacrifice himself for the hero.

LotsChrono

Most stories usually have romance, which usually gives them very interesting, compelling, narratives and subplots. Most friendships in these novels end in romance.
Any ideas?
Really, it's the same way as you would write friendship that does end in romance. The only difference here is to make sure each character is aware that they love each other at a solely platonic level. As someone here had said, a 'bromance' really is what you should be going for. Now, just because they're not lovers, doesn't mean they can't be intimate with one another. They should share their thoughts. Their worries. Their goals and aspirations. And be willing to stick with each other, back to back against whatever comes.

To reiterate, the same way you would write a friendship that does end in romance, for the most part, but without the deeper levels of skinship, nor the wild heart beating moments of romantic love. After all, lovers are best friends, but best friends don't have to be lovers.

Sandycat135

Really, it's the same way as you would write friendship that does end in romance. The only difference here is to make sure each character is aware that they love each other at a solely platonic level. As someone here had said, a 'bromance' really is what you should be going for. Now, just because they're not lovers, doesn't mean they can't be intimate with one another. They should share their thoughts. Their worries. Their goals and aspirations. And be willing to stick with each other, back to back against whatever comes.

To reiterate, the same way you would write a friendship that does end in romance, for the most part, but without the deeper levels of skinship, nor the wild heart beating moments of romantic love. After all, lovers are best friends, but best friends don't have to be lovers.
Thanks, that's really helpful.

DreamOfRen

Watch Decadence. I just recently watched it. It does a good job of painting a relationship that is full of appreciation and deference , without crossing the romantic line.

Michuyu

Any ideas?
Just don't have them wanting to do things that only lovers should be doing xD Other than that, friendship comes in many forms, try to think about what kind of friendship you want them to have! Maybe it will be easier if you write it how you would want it to be for yourself. I hope you the best of luck! :D

JayDirex

You can write what you want, but I wouldn't put myself in that corner. because in stories opposites have to hook up somehow, or what's the point? (YES I KNOW THE TRUTH) I'm just saying readers come up here LOOKING FOR THEM TO HOOK UP. There is no reason to write stories of guys/girls on an adventure unless they are going to hook up. And if you don't deliver it causes a cognitive dissonance, because wtf? why not? that's what were up here for. So, if you don't want the headache just make them both dudes.

DevilPogoStick

Writing friendships is indeed like writing romances, in which you write characters with emotions towards one another that are far closer than towards anyone else.

It's just that you establish it's not exactly romantic.

I know, sounds difficult but it's a thing you'll get upon actually writing it.

Zavha0mnic

Think of uhhh, tommyinnit and tubbo.(DreamSMP) they have flaws that the other looks past to see the good personthe other is. They have things that root them together, and ones that rift them apart. Tommy wants to help tubbo, and tubbo doesn’t know if he wants tommy’s help but accepts it anyway because it’ll be fun cleaning up the mess afterwards.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Perfect example of true friendship is Tomoda from Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun episode 4. Comes in starting at about 8 mins into episode.