How do you write a Smart MC if you're lazy and stupid?

I love smart MC in general, even if they're not the strongest.

Though I'm not sure if I can write them since I'm lazy and don't like to use my brain much.

What do you think is the easiest, most low-effort way to write an intelligent main character well?

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.

Though I'm not sure if I can write them since I'm lazy and don't like to use my brain much.

What do you think is the easiest, most low-effort way to write an intelligent main character well?
Maybe don't even become a writer? Either that or just base it off of you! Even if a person is dumb and bases a character after them, the human-like expressions will help the character be smarter than the average MC.

Maybe don't even become a writer? Either that or just base it off of you! Even if a person is dumb and bases a character after them, the human-like expressions will help the character be smarter than the average MC.
maybe it won't create an intelligent mc but they might be adorkable like bakarina lol

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
if you don't know how to make the MC smart, then just make everyone around him/her to be stupid instead. then making him to know something that everyone else doesn't (being reincarnator or whatever).

trust me, it works.

jabathehut

Resident Troll

A big part of how the audience perceives your characters is how other characters react to them. Like Jason Asano from HWFWM. The MC really isn't smart at all, but he seems like it for a while because of how everyone in all these scenes says "wow he is really smart."

LinMeili

:ROFLMAO: I'm smart so I can do it! Or not. Probably not, lol.

Just write an ordinary, non-genius MC. If you really want a genius MC, then you have to plot out your story 1000 chapters in advance and make your MC seem smart by foreseeing every possible problem.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Exactly as they say, a good thinker is able to plot the trajectory of situations. That's why they're good at foreseeing things, elaborate plans and manifest them into reality. So write a lot of chapters in advance and have them say "all according to the keikaku". Their weakspots are unknown variables, unpredictable/unreliability of people, unpredictability of their own ego, sometimes their rigidity to stick to a plan that is going awry.

Another type of smart is able to adaptability. Have your smart MC being very flexible, and able to solve problems at lighting speed while people are about to get run over by problems. It probably comes along with outside the box thinking, ability to create connection and insights between seemingly unrelated stuffs that can create unexpected solutions.

For the second type, you can think first about how the problematic is going to be solved, then second how to present the problematic in a way that would hide the solution best.

Exemples: Kira from Death Note from which keikaku meme came, ID: Invaded episode 3 (adaptability to find the solution of an enigma quick)

An OP protag can have all type of smarts, but they're generally tied to specific personality. Those opposite traits are often in conflicts, that's why it can be more interesting to put them in different characters and have them clash most of the time. It's especially rewarding when they bulldozer through enemies when they actually manage to get on the same page.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

How to write an intelligent main character when you're lazy and don't like to use your brain? Ai-chan would separate this request into two parts:

1. Character Development
2. Plot Development

For character development, you DON'T create a smart protagonist. Why not? Because most often than not, intelligence can't be seen, unless he wears a lab coat and works in top secret government lab trying to research on how to build an FTL drive. By NOT aiming to make your intelligent protagonist a 'smart protagonist', you avoid most of the pitfalls of Mary Sue-ness that people commonly make when they try to make an 'intelligent character'.

Now that that's out of the way, pick a branch. Yes, that branch looks perfectly fine. Oh you don't like that branch? You want the one next to it? No? You want the one your sister's holding? Fine, take it, you bully!

This branch here is basically your character's knowledge tree. Pick one, just one, do not pick two, do not pick three. Just one. Your character is a mechanic? That's good, the branch you've picked is mechanic, therefore, you can make your character a genius in mechanical engineering. He should know how to fix an engine or tune up a car to go faster. He can probably even be a racing champion, as after all, he must've driven his own hypertuned car and being a champion is simply a personal accomplishment, not an entire skill tree. You can even make him able to understand and fix alien starcraft engines because he's the genius mechanical engineer, it's well within his scope of interest.

What if you choose the scammer branch? That can work too. It's probably more versatile than the mechanic branch, but it is unlikely to be as specialized. So while you can bullshit in a way that he can fix a car, probably because he learned that in order to scam people, he couldn't possible build a car from scratch on his own. His knowledge and skills wouldn't be so extensive that he can do that.

And knowledge and skill are important. In relation to how long the character has worked on those skills, there is a finite amount of work that they could've done to achieve that level of specialization. A soldier who has been soldiering for 20 years would most definitely be better at soldiering than a mechanic-turned-soldier who spent the past 20 years being a mechanic.

As for plot development, the first thing you want to do is make sure that it rarely goes the protagonist's way. By this, you try to actively remove everything that helps the protagonist. Because when everything goes the protagonist's way, you're not making an engaging story, you're making a Mary Sue. If you want to do it, do it, it's your story. But don't expect readers to like it because Mary Sue characters get boring after the first few times.

If you do not know how to do this, make a 6-sided die. Write on a notepad somewhere something along the lines of:
1. Help arrive
2. More enemies
3. Deus ex machina
4. Enemies stumble
5. Mortally injured
6. Betrayal

Now let's say that your character is a cook, which means he has access to the entire cook/chef branch. You threw the dice, and got a 6. Well, shit, man. Not only do you have to fight a powerful monster, you're also betrayed by your own companion. Shit what should you do? This is when you use the cook/chef branch to show that the protagonist is intelligent.

So let's look at the cook/chef branch:
1. Cooking
2. Cutting
3. Marinating
4. Preserving
5. Socializing
6. Haggling
7. Fast hands

1. Let's talk about cooking, while it's illogical to cook right now, every travelling chef will carry his own cooking ingredients, if he assumes that the place he's going to won't likely have the ingredients he wants to use. However, some of the ingredients that we use to cook food for humans are really avoided by other creatures. For example, garlic. Most carnivorous animals with good nose absolutely hates garlic and it can even be lethal to canines. But if they hate garlic, why would the wolves chase your character in the first place, you ask? Probably because your character carries garlic in a ceramic bottle with a stopper, so there would be no smell coming out and they wouldn't know that he was carrying garlic.

2. How about cutting? Well, the simple consideration is that your character is good at cutting things and can fight the monster, right? That's not all there is to it. If you're a cook who has been cutting meat for a long time, you would instinctively know about meat parts because you pretty much study animal anatomy every single day while you're at work. While not every animal has the same parts, every animal follows the same rules. There are ligaments, veins, muscles and bones. Someone who cut up animals everyday would know that the belly is always the softest because it doesn't do any work. They would know that the armpit (or legpit) are always unarmored and will almost always have large blood vessels running through there. So cutting the legpits will almost always cause the creature to bleed to death.

3. Marinating is useless in this case. However, just like cooking, you'd probably carry ingredients for marinating. Onions are common for marinating and dogs hate them. Don't marinate the meat you're feeding your dogs in onions. You could cause their blood vessels to rupture! Then again, if you already have meat marinated in onions and garlic, you could feed the enemy dog with it and watch as they pass out and die.

4. About preserving... Ai-chan doesn't know. Maybe you can just lure carnivorous monsters with preserved meat?

5. Socializing is important to chefs who regularly converse with patrons. Maybe your protagonist can talk his way out of danger.

6. Haggling is similar to socializing, except you've learned the fine art of scamming the other side down to their drawers.

7. Most chefs who work in busy kitchens would have fast hands because otherwise they'd spend a very long time getting the food out. Fast hands are very useful when you're fighting.

You're asking why we haven't addressed the betrayal yet? Let's address it now. Read the above sentences and apply it to the traitor instead of whatever carnivorous monster your character is facing. The end.

Last edited:

TunTun

If you are writing in first person, then write the MC from the point of view of side characters. If not, then write it in third person.

Last edited:

hauntedwritings

if you don't know how to make the MC smart, then just make everyone around him/her to be stupid instead. then making him to know something that everyone else doesn't (being reincarnator or whatever).

trust me, it works.
It's called not being 'the sharpest tool in the shed' for a reason. Even in a group of people that are all considered smart by the general population, there will be those in that group that are considered smartest and the most stupid.

To have a smart character, then as I think was mentioned, you need to have a bit of the plot already existing in your mind. And remember, one of the traits of smarts, is adaptability and foresight. Smart people appear smart because they have already predicted how to deal with an upcoming situation beforehand, or know how to apply their existing knowledge to deal with the situation in a new way.

How to write an intelligent main character when you're lazy and don't like to use your brain? Ai-chan would separate this request into two parts:

1. Character Development
2. Plot Development

For character development, you DON'T create a smart protagonist. Why not? Because most often than not, intelligence can't be seen, unless he wears a lab coat and works in top secret government lab trying to research on how to build an FTL drive. By NOT aiming to make your intelligent protagonist a 'smart protagonist', you avoid most of the pitfalls of Mary Sue-ness that people commonly make when they try to make an 'intelligent character'.

Now that that's out of the way, pick a branch. Yes, that branch looks perfectly fine. Oh you don't like that branch? You want the one next to it? No? You want the one your sister's holding? Fine, take it, you bully!

This branch here is basically your character's knowledge tree. Pick one, just one, do not pick two, do not pick three. Just one. Your character is a mechanic? That's good, the branch you've picked is mechanic, therefore, you can make your character a genius in mechanical engineering. He should know how to fix an engine or tune up a car to go faster. He can probably even be a racing champion, as after all, he must've driven his own hypertuned car and being a champion is simply a personal accomplishment, not an entire skill tree. You can even make him able to understand and fix alien starcraft engines because he's the genius mechanical engineer, it's well within his scope of interest.

What if you choose the scammer branch? That can work too. It's probably more versatile than the mechanic branch, but it is unlikely to be as specialized. So while you can bullshit in a way that he can fix a car, probably because he learned that in order to scam people, he couldn't possible build a car from scratch on his own. His knowledge and skills wouldn't be so extensive that he can do that.

And knowledge and skill are important. In relation to how long the character has worked on those skills, there is a finite amount of work that they could've done to achieve that level of specialization. A soldier who has been soldiering for 20 years would most definitely be better at soldiering than a mechanic-turned-soldier who spent the past 20 years being a mechanic.

As for plot development, the first thing you want to do is make sure that it rarely goes the protagonist's way. By this, you try to actively remove everything that helps the protagonist. Because when everything goes the protagonist's way, you're not making an engaging story, you're making a Mary Sue. If you want to do it, do it, it's your story. But don't expect readers to like it because Mary Sue characters get boring after the first few times.

If you do not know how to do this, make a 6-sided die. Write on a notepad somewhere something along the lines of:
1. Help arrive
2. More enemies
3. Deus ex machina
4. Enemies stumble
5. Mortally injured
6. Betrayal

Now let's say that your character is a cook, which means he has access to the entire cook/chef branch. You threw the dice, and got a 6. Well, shit, man. Not only do you have to fight a powerful monster, you're also betrayed by your own companion. Shit what should you do? This is when you use the cook/chef branch to show that the protagonist is intelligent.

So let's look at the cook/chef branch:
1. Cooking
2. Cutting
3. Marinating
4. Preserving
5. Socializing
6. Haggling
7. Fast hands

1. Let's talk about cooking, while it's illogical to cook right now, every travelling chef will carry his own cooking ingredients, if he assumes that the place he's going to won't likely have the ingredients he wants to use. However, some of the ingredients that we use to cook food for humans are really avoided by other creatures. For example, garlic. Most carnivorous animals with good nose absolutely hates garlic and it can even be lethal to canines. But if they hate garlic, why would the wolves chase your character in the first place, you ask? Probably because your character carries garlic in a ceramic bottle with a stopper, so there would be no smell coming out and they wouldn't know that he was carrying garlic.

2. How about cutting? Well, the simple consideration is that your character is good at cutting things and can fight the monster, right? That's not all there is to it. If you're a cook who has been cutting meat for a long time, you would instinctively know about meat parts because you pretty much study animal anatomy every single day while you're at work. While not every animal has the same parts, every animal follows the same rules. There are ligaments, veins, muscles and bones. Someone who cut up animals everyday would know that the belly is always the softest because it doesn't do any work. They would know that the armpit (or legpit) are always unarmored and will almost always have large blood vessels running through there. So cutting the legpits will almost always cause the creature to bleed to death.

3. Marinating is useless in this case. However, just like cooking, you'd probably carry ingredients for marinating. Onions are common for marinating and dogs hate them. Don't marinate the meat you're feeding your dogs in onions. You could cause their blood vessels to rupture! Then again, if you already have meat marinated in onions and garlic, you could feed the enemy dog with it and watch as they pass out and die.

4. About preserving... Ai-chan doesn't know. Maybe you can just lure carnivorous monsters with preserved meat?

5. Socializing is important to chefs who regularly converse with patrons. Maybe your protagonist can talk his way out of danger.

6. Haggling is similar to socializing, except you've learned the fine art of scamming the other side down to their drawers.

7. Most chefs who work in busy kitchens would have fast hands because otherwise they'd spend a very long time getting the food out. Fast hands are very useful when you're fighting.

You're asking why we haven't addressed the betrayal yet? Let's address it now. Read the above sentences and apply it to the traitor instead of whatever carnivorous monster your character is facing. The end.

In short, you either don't write a smart character or just make him specialize in certain thing.

I guess basing it on things I know well helps, since I'm too lazy to do research if I'm not interested in the subject.

About making the story not go the MC's way, if they keep attracting unnecessary trouble or get into them, it's probably not something particularly smart. I'm also against creating conflicts just to spice up the story, if there's any it's better to be natural. like, it really couldn't be helped due to cause and effect of something inevitable and the MC is not omnipotent.

While it might make the story boring for some, I feel it's better if the MC are able to prevent the conflict from escalating in the first place, rather than being able to solve problems when it peaked.

I feel it's fair if the story gets on the MC's way most of the time, if their actions were carefully planned and able to avoid most potential risks. like, they decide to live a slow life and low-key while being 'competent' enough in the first place. I mostly write slice-of-life instead of conflict-driven stuff, so yeah.

As for Mary Sue and so, I personally don't pay attention--just YOLO all the time. If the MC is not OP, what MC can do, some others can. If they're OP, anything goes.

If you are writing in first person, then write the MC from the point of view of side characters. If not, then write it in third person.

personally i don't like using third person. though i like to use an observer first person like in I am the God of Games.

It's called not being 'the sharpest tool in the shed' for a reason. Even in a group of people that are all considered smart by the general population, there will be those in that group that are considered smartest and the most stupid.

To have a smart character, then as I think was mentioned, you need to have a bit of the plot already existing in your mind. And remember, one of the traits of smarts, is adaptability and foresight. Smart people appear smart because they have already predicted how to deal with an upcoming situation beforehand, or know how to apply their existing knowledge to deal with the situation in a new way.

basically just write a second chance story but the character isn't reborn :D

Last edited:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

In short, you either don't write a smart character or just make him specialize in certain thing.

I guess basing it on things I know well helps, since I'm too lazy to do research if I'm not interested in the subject.

About making the story not go the MC's way, if they keep attracting unnecessary trouble or get into them, it's probably not something particularly smart. I'm also against creating conflicts just to spice up the story, if there's any it's better to be natural. like, it really couldn't be helped due to cause and effect of something inevitable and the MC is not omnipotent.

While it might make the story boring for some, I feel it's better if the MC are able to prevent the conflict from escalating in the first place, rather than being able to solve problems when it peaked.

I feel it's fair if the story gets on the MC's way most of the time, if their actions were carefully planned and able to avoid most potential risks. like, they decide to live a slow life and low-key. I mostly write slice-of-life instead of conflict-driven stuff, so yeah.

As for Mary Sue and so, I personally don't pay attention--just YOLO all the time. If the MC is not OP, what MC can do, some others can. If they're OP, anything goes.

personally i don't like using third person. though i like to use an observer first person like in I am the God of Games.

basically just write a second chance story but the character isn't reborn :D
Yes, being smart is not attracting unnecessary troubles. Ai-chan is talking about the times when things are out of the protagonist's hands.

For example, if you know the dark alleys are dangerous, it's only smart that you avoid the dark alleys, right? But what if the dark alleys comes to you, in that you were probably kidnapped or some other troubles happen and you ended up having to take the dark alley.

When this happens, do you just let your character go through it safely? Do you find something useful? This is when you can make the character's life hard and show off their intelligence.

Following the previous example:
1. Help arrive
2. More enemies
3. Deus ex machina
4. Enemies stumble
5. Mortally injured
6. Betrayal

If you role a 1, well that's good luck for your character. But you will never always throw a 1. The problem is, some authors always write as if their characters always throws a 1. And you wonder, why does everything goes the protagonist's way?

If you role a 2, well tough shit. How you decide to make your character escape from this would show his intelligence.

If you role a 3, you get a deus ex machina helping him. Maybe a potted plant fall from the balcony above. A potted plant falling does not show his intelligence, but what he makes with that opportunity does.

If you role a 4, enemies stumbling doesn't show his intelligence, but what he does with the opportunity does.

If you role a 5, damn, not only you stuck in danger, you're heavily injured. How your character rise up from this shows his level of intelligence.

If you role a 6, your character not only has to deal with enemies, he will also have to deal with the backstabbing bastard who's trying to backstab him from the back now. How your character deals with enemies in front and behind shows how intelligent he is. Maybe he bullshits his way, maybe he tries to fight a feint, maybe he plays them against each other or maybe he just hides.

Yes, being smart is not attracting unnecessary troubles. Ai-chan is talking about the times when things are out of the protagonist's hands.

For example, if you know the dark alleys are dangerous, it's only smart that you avoid the dark alleys, right? But what if the dark alleys comes to you, in that you were probably kidnapped or some other troubles happen and you ended up having to take the dark alley.

When this happens, do you just let your character go through it safely? Do you find something useful? This is when you can make the character's life hard and show off their intelligence.

Following the previous example:
1. Help arrive
2. More enemies
3. Deus ex machina
4. Enemies stumble
5. Mortally injured
6. Betrayal

If you role a 1, well that's good luck for your character. But you will never always throw a 1. The problem is, some authors always write as if their characters always throws a 1. And you wonder, why does everything goes the protagonist's way?

If you role a 2, well tough shit. How you decide to make your character escape from this would show his intelligence.

If you role a 3, you get a deus ex machina helping him. Maybe a potted plant fall from the balcony above. A potted plant falling does not show his intelligence, but what he makes with that opportunity does.

If you role a 4, enemies stumbling doesn't show his intelligence, but what he does with the opportunity does.

If you role a 5, damn, not only you stuck in danger, you're heavily injured. How your character rise up from this shows his level of intelligence.

If you role a 6, your character not only has to deal with enemies, he will also have to deal with the backstabbing bastard who's trying to backstab him from the back now. How your character deals with enemies in front and behind shows how intelligent he is. Maybe he bullshits his way, maybe he tries to fight a feint, maybe he plays them against each other or maybe he just hides.

personally i don't see myself writing this kind of situation.

if i'm the author, the character probably is already strong enough to beat the crap out of the kidnappers, but actually appear weak since they'll appear low key. just like the main character in sign-in buddha's palm.

i see the betrayal to be unlikely as well since i won't make them fully trust any potential backstabbers, before it happened they make sure the betrayer will be the one who was killed first.

probably a matter of preference. if the main character loses or get caught off-guard i prefer it to be a comedic situation :D

if things like that happen, and the protagonist just wants a peaceful life, i won't treat it like going their way. in the grand scheme, any conflict could mean the protagonists isn't getting things their way.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Making plans to avoid future problems is typical of a proactive schemer personality. It's something they do constantly but it's hard to lead to memorable payoffs for the readers. It's definitely something you can expose about your characters.

For good pay offs, you usually need high stakes. Create a situation that the protagonist cannot walk out from.

Negotiating your way out of problems without escalating to violence becomes a form of conflict itself. I'm too bad at writing to make it interesting but it's kinda what politics is about. You can have 4d machiavellan chess (with mutual destruction at stake if that escalate to violence).

There are types of perceiving the worlds.

Some people are really good at forming accurate models of the world, but an outlier/black swan event will shatter their mind, and they need some time to recover and integrate them. That's why they might completely deny outliers and delude themselves that everything is fine.

In the opposite side, there are airheads that will be biased towards outliers to form a model of overlapping possibilities. Their process is built to reconcile paradoxes. They are more resilient against the unexpected and come up with the strangest insights.

The first type hates running into problems headfirst and will resent his second type friend who is good at receiving hits for grabbing him along into the fall.

The second type hates his nagging first type friend because he seems to care too much about unimportant stuff.

Which is why they clash most of the time but they are complementary modes that can enhance each others.

That's my take on smart characters : their perception is what allows people to navigate through the world. They leverage it as best as they can to manifest it in the real world.

Now then there's a difference between wisdom and intelligence. Being conflict averse or not isn't really about being smart but rather how you rate the worth of things.

Making plans to avoid future problems is typical of a proactive schemer personality. It's something they do constantly but it's hard to lead to memorable payoffs for the readers. It's definitely something you can expose about your characters.

For good pay offs, you usually need high stakes. Create a situation that the protagonist cannot walk out from.

Negotiating your way out of problems without escalating to violence becomes a form of conflict itself. I'm too bad at writing to make it interesting but it's kinda what politics is about. You can have 4d machiavellan chess (with mutual destruction at stake if that escalate to violence).

There are types of perceiving the worlds.

Some people are really good at forming accurate models of the world, but an outlier/black swan event will shatter their mind, and they need some time to recover and integrate them. That's why they might completely deny outliers and delude themselves that everything is fine.

In the opposite side, there are airheads that will be biased towards outliers to form a model of overlapping possibilities. Their process is built to reconcile paradoxes. They are more resilient against the unexpected and come up with the strangest insights.

The first type hates running into problems headfirst and will resent his second type friend who is good at receiving hits for grabbing him along into the fall.

The second type hates his nagging first type friend because he seems to care too much about unimportant stuff.

Which is why they clash most of the time but they are complementary modes that can enhance each others.

That's my take on smart characters : their perception is what allows people to navigate through the world. They leverage it as best as they can to manifest it in the real world.

Now then there's a difference between wisdom and intelligence. Being conflict averse or not isn't really about being smart but rather how you rate the worth of things.

in short, the planner vs the pantser in a nutshell lol

so in the end it's more about their own personality. for some people it might be worth risking their lives for, while others will stay the hell out.

the intelligence part is just about how they take advantage of everything they have to its highest potential to fulfill their objective.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds

Agentt

Thighs
Wow, a bit late for this but the character I will make is going to be a smart one. Heres my plan
1. Have them play chess, or poker. Though mine will play pokemon cards for comedy. Use internet for good openings and matches.
2.Have a balance between over confidence and arrogance. Your mc will be over confident, but not arrogant.
3. Have a sidekick who is a normal human for comparison. You say he is a normal human but make him a total dunce.
4. If you aren't intelligent enough, simply make the world dumber. Whether its isekai or not, just have every other person stupid, or have the technology backwards.
5. Give a reason why mc is intelligent, like making him scholar, topper, or being the only person having access to internet.

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
  1. depression or anxiety intelligent people are found to get these illnesses at 2 times more than the average population.
  2. intelligent people usually chose the option of least effort but higher reward.
  3. usually quiet but can be loud or noisy if they have histrionic personality disorder \ (✨😊me😊✨)
  4. more insecure about themselves, since they think more than the general population they are more insecure about their issues.
  5. they constantly down view themselves since most naturally curious(/smart) people don't assume they're smart unless they are told so. this has to due with the fact that being smart is the norm not the exception.
  6. unless they are dense and smart which isn't rare they constantly think about how their actions are diffrent from normal people. they usually feel left out in a social setting.
  7. being naturally smart is diffrent from hard working. smart people derive enjoyment from learning something. hardworking people learn to accomplish a goal not because they want to learn.
  8. smart people constantly explore for new information ethier on youtube the internet or school.
  9. smart people hate doing schoolwork or any work that they don't deem necessary as much as the next person.

Last edited: