How do you write action scenes?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Really, though, how'd you do it?

From what I've heard the idea is that you keep the sentences as short as possible and keep the reactions as surface as it can get. Never go in depth into feelings and those kinds of stuff.

I wanna hear from you guys. How do you guys write action? Maybe give an excerpt for an example?

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
Depends on characters. You could have an action scene between two very tactical characters, so the scene is as much about what they're thinking and the why they're doing what they are as what they're actually doing is.

Then, of course, you could just have two dudes (or other genders) fighting, describe what's happening, what they're doing and so on.
Also depends a bit on point of view. 3rd person you can describe the combat as a whole, 1st person you are locked into a particular character's perspective.

However you do it, it's very much an active scene, so you want a lot of words indicating the speed at which things are happening - not necessarily noting time or directly saying that 'although it took long to describe it happened in but an instant', but giving that scene a more rushed, energetic feel. I think this can be done in part by just having the gaps between actions the characters are taking be significantly shorter (in terms of sentences in-between actions) than usual. Think of when you're having a normal conversation between characters. While they're talking, they might move about every now and again, but it would likely be several sentences between each one of these indications of movement. In an action scene, you want them practically every sentence, or every other sentence. I'm not saying it has to be those quantities exactly, but you get my point - there needs to be a clear distinction in the pacing of actions to differentiate the tone of the scene.

But basically, if you don't understand you just have to give it a go, read over it, see where you think it's terrible and try again if necessary. Learn by trying, failing, and trying again.

Ninetailed_Furball

There's quite a few ways to do this, depending on the effect you want to achieve. And that's basically what you need to think of first: the effect you want on the audience.

Is the action scene supposed to pump your audience up? Maybe make them think about the thematic meaning of the conflict? Maybe just be a bit of exciting popcorn chewing fare?

Regardless of how you do it, it should be in service of the story. I spent a long time writing early action scenes as the MC faced the unknown tense and unsure of herself, but once she became experienced, the action scenes became quick and over in just a few paragraphs. It showed her progression as a fighter. The last one I had was literally over before the audience realized it because it was so fast.

If you write action scenes to only be exciting, then you're doing it wrong. You want your audience to be invested in the scene, rather than merely entertained by it. To be invested, the audience needs to want something other than simply "kick this guy's ass", and the easiest way to do that is to establish a form of conflict beyond the overt.

Simply put, include subtext, biased descriptions, and anything else to suggest, or even outright say what it is the characters are fighting over, whether it's literally or metaphorically.

Anime loves to do this by actually having the characters form a philosophical debate while the fight's going on, but that's a bit too on the nose and it's more to give both the thinkers and non-thinkers something to be entertained by while also being economical with runtime.

But the conflict doesn't have to be between two characters, it could be entirely internal with the MC. Things like "I don't want to kill anyone but am forced to fight" or "why am I really here?" or even whatever current issue the character is having. It doesn't even have to be directly related to the fight, like they're fighting a bear to feed their family with it's meat, but the character hates their family and is trying to decide if they should just run away from everything or not.

If the fight doesn't serve to be the physical manifestation of the characters' conflict, then it at least needs to serve the plot and show something more than just "action scene #67415". Contrived reasons is a terrible way to start a fight, unless if it's a comedy and the fight itself is the joke. If the fight scene is just something that happens because it needs to, then just keep it short.

Now, I've been concentrating entirely on fight scenes, but fight scenes are what most people think when they think action, and the only possible difference is people vs people compared to people vs environment. They're written the same way.

As to the wording and whatnot, it entirely comes down to your style. Short punchy sentences vs long-form paragraphs? What have you been doing up to then in that story? Stick to it, or swap if you're trying to make a jarring feeling within your audience.

If you're normally long-form and you change to short sentences in the action scene, it makes it feel much more sudden and chaotic. If you're normally short sentences and to the point, but go to long-form and descriptive, then it feels more weighty.

Hope that helps and doesn't feel too much like verbal diarrhea.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
Not that informed about action, but I am about gore.
Make quick action sentences such as the actual movement, the punch, the move, etc. But, describe the impact heavily, how the pain feels, how the body reacts, how the blood flows and stains, etc. Not the best advice, but something that I've found works.

I just make an overpowered MC who can end everything in one sentence.

But when I feel like it, I love ridiculous fight scenes and using weird weapons. Like bashing a knight with a toilet seat cover--wrote that long ago though. Intense and serious fights ain't my thing.

My action scenes were just straight to the point. I don't like detailed action. I prefer to let my imagination fill the blanks on how it exactly looks like. if I have to add something, I wanna add a bit of strategy. Like utilizing the terrain and nearby objects or something the MC picked up many chapters back. Trickery and shameless actions are also my cup of tea.

To be said, I don't write a lot of action. I plan to do more just for fun.

here's the thing, if you want to read.

Rainli

I'm currently writing an action/adventure/litrpg so I kinda feel you with this question.

My advice - would be to read more and leaf through memorable books you thought had good action scenes. Or even anime/movies that had good fight scenes so you can feel that energy inspire you to write something action-packed. Everyone's writing style is a bit different - I actully tend to focus on the character's emotional impact so the scenes tend to be worded out longer.

The degree of fighting and how detailed it has to depend on the scenario imo - for instance if you want to up the antics, the beginning has to be drawn out, increased stakes, put lives on the line, etc. For quick bursts of fighting, it's less emotional, less dramatic, but definitely more violent usually. There are also different fighting styles. Bar fights are usually quick and dirty - bottles smashing, patrons running out, etc. VS. War tactics which involve large groups of armies, strategies, different locations, etc.

Since you asked for an excerpt, I'll offer one from mine:

Vick was on all fours and his eyes turned blood-red. His clothing ripped apart as his body engorged with black fluid. His blue veins changed into a thick brownish red and his once full head of green hair stood out in black clumps. Now, over eight feet tall with spider-like limbs, the abomination roared with a cry that sent chills down Lark’s spine and prompted the dwarven girl to freeze up. Sensing the girl’s hesitation, the monster dove for her first. With an inhuman speed, the monster ran on all fours, mouth slobbering, and plummeted its long legs right into her robust steel shield. Sand sprayed into the air from the kickback, caking the view of the battlefield into gray grime...

Christopher

Machine grinned at X arrogantly and muttered "You shall die today"

X stared at Machine with indifferent eyes. His eyelids were getting heavy so he blinked.

"Wooosh!"

X became stunned, Machine could no be found. A chill ran through his spine as he sensed a faint killing intent and he turned around.

"Sweeesh"

Machine's sword whizzed as it moved towards X's neck in a speed that cannot be perceived by commoners. But X was no commoner.

"Baang"

X stopped the sword between his two fingers.

Seeing this, Machine stepped back in lightning speed leaving afterimages. His eyes shone in rage as he screamed "Villain's super secret technique"

"Shooooooot" several blades of black flames shot towards X from Machine's attack.

The blades disintegrated as they reached ten feet near X.

X smiled coldly and screamed "Go meet your maker. Ultimate technique,
I'M THE PROTAGONIST, YOU MUST DIE"

A golden dragon descended from the sky and gave machine a headbutt. Machine fell back coughing a mouthful of blood....

Just write your heart out. Make sure to add lots of SFX and full-caps along with bizarre moves and insanely OP characters. At the end of the day, your own specific style is the best.