Writing How do you write names?

UnknownSaint171

Normally I’m confident I can fork out many names. But I’ve forgotten now and my list got deleted. I’ve been depress all day because of this.
Any advice? Has this ever happen to you?

Do you write Chinese or English names?

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Depends on the setting, although I much prefer the Latin name.

I created names by using the core theme of the character as the base, translated it to Latin, and shift some spelling to make it easier to remember and speak out loud.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Like GDLiZy said, it depends on the setting. Also, it has to make sense.

If the character is a foreigner in an Asian themed country, it would make sense for them not to have an Asian sounding name. I once came across a mess of a story where one family had siblings with a mix of old English male names and then had a sister who had a very Chinese name. I had to double-check and reread chapters just to make sure they were related by blood and they were. Then there were characters with Korean names but were described as very Middle Eastern. What?

You have to understand, names can be a reflection of the character and their culture. A mishmash of names can be forgiven somewhat if the world-building allows it. But, if done poorly, your readers and your story are gonna suffer.

fullbios

Hello :) I have lost a name I thought was good once, but sadly I didn't jot it down because I had so much confidence in my memories but whelps.... I think that just meant it wasn't meant to be lol. So yeah... I now write my character names at 3 different place. My draft book I keep with me on my desk, Medibang where I will draw my character (I will have them beside the character), and Google docs where I write my novel.

All my characters have either Latin names or Old english names as my novel settings are half based on that time period. I have 1 character who is half asian therefore her first name is an old english based while her middle name is Chinese. So yeah, it really does depend on where your story is based and where they come from really. I can't really imagine a chinese character that is full white in an old english settings, I think that would not really be a good name choice, but at the end of the day It's also kinda up to the authors and what you prefer! :)

Cheer up anways! I'm sure you will be able to remember some names or find better names! I literally just search up latin male names, or old english female names. Or even asian female names on google hahaha!

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Frankly, I just go to the fantasy name generator and smash the button shit tons of time until RNG lets me win.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I start to pray for the RNG gods and give a number which would i make names and the last name would be picked.

Ex: Number 6

Loraine
Rebecca
Xianna
Syriala
Felshia
Bob

So... The last number is 6...so...Bob?

Welp, the RNG gods has picked the name and i can't help it now...

lazyredragon

Most of my names are just character settings tbh... it helps my memory, i.e if it's the chosen one I just call him ichose, strong willed character Iron heart or Iro that's sorta thing

UnknownSaint171

Frankly, I just go to the fantasy name generator and smash the button shit tons of time until RNG lets me win.
Haha I'll start doing that too. Is there a Chinese Name generator? Would that work as well I wonder..

Hello :) I have lost a name I thought was good once, but sadly I didn't jot it down because I had so much confidence in my memories but whelps.... I think that just meant it wasn't meant to be lol. So yeah... I now write my character names at 3 different place. My draft book I keep with me on my desk, Medibang where I will draw my character (I will have them beside the character), and Google docs where I write my novel.

All my characters have either Latin names or Old english names as my novel settings are half based on that time period. I have 1 character who is half asian therefore her first name is an old english based while her middle name is Chinese. So yeah, it really does depend on where your story is based and where they come from really. I can't really imagine a chinese character that is full white in an old english settings, I think that would not really be a good name choice, but at the end of the day It's also kinda up to the authors and what you prefer! :)

Cheer up anways! I'm sure you will be able to remember some names or find better names! I literally just search up latin male names, or old english female names. Or even asian female names on google hahaha!
Thank you, your message made my day. I'll start jolting things down too, it's gonna take forever but it's best I do it haha

Terok

My core characters all have a name with an element tied to them. Unless they are going to be recurring characters, I don't really give them names. So I guess you can choose a theme and name a bunch of them based off of that? Or you could use a generator, honestly I don't really attach much importance to the names of most characters.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
I once forgot the name of a planet. And I remember thinking it was a good name too :blob_teary:. I need to write more notes.
Most of my names are related to the character's personality, backstory or what will happen to them in the future, except a couple of my earlier ones and some unimportant characters. I look at a character, think about what they've done, what they're doing, what kind of person they are and what they will do, look up words and names related to that and pick one. If I can't find one that feels right I go down a list of names by meaning, or use a name generator to get ideas.

Rinne

Professional Headpatter
I'm usually not thinking much about names until I need a name.
And once I need a name I usually go around looking for a name that simply sounds nice to me.
Has the advantage that I'm not exactly prone to forget a name. Has the disadvantage that I might get stuck with writing because I need a name.

As for looking for names, I'm actually using a pretty old german book full of first names, their meanings, their (probable) origin and their variations. It even has recommendations for names and an old poem. There's a vast amount of names you'd never think once existed or still exist.

Of course, not all names I choose come from this book, some are just blatantly made-up names. There's also a small mix of Japanese names.
The last one would be the names of historical figures. If you like making historical references they're a nice treat for the knowing reader. I prefer using the last names only for those, though.

The fantasy name generator has quite a multitude of names of different origins and cultures so it's pretty neat and I might make use of it at some point as well.

OneSixSeven

Advocate of Headpatting and Handholding
I mostly write English names even in every legislative body of a country's government.

I'll be having trouble if I were to use a language I do not know because I'll be needing a somewhat proper translation and copy-pasting the non-English word back and forth lol.

Chaaruzu_Corner

Young Senior Member
Google Translate. You'll thank me for this. Look for a characteristic of the character you'll be naming. Personality, titles, traits, etc. and run them down a language of your choice, if you find a good sounding one, try to simplify the spelling and boom! You got a name :)

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
As long as it makes sense based on the setting of your story.

I mean the time or era of your story. If it's in the middle ages - try researching and checking names during that time. Try saying the name and imagine the era or timeline of your story. Is it feasible? Is it good if I use this name during such a timeline? Try to empathize, put yourself in that era and time.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Personally, I find chinese names often far too similar too one another. Koreans names are....painful for me to even attempt to recreate. Japanese names are much better for varieties sake but I dont use them often either. I dont particularly use English names either or any language really. Not intentionally at least. I literally just make my own names up. If they resemble a language, it's purely coincidental. Like for example, Kafeng Jerou and Yevena Lingsee, one seems kinda Chinese-ish and the other has hints of Russian/Ukranian/Belarusian. Purely coincidence. I literally just plopped them down with no thought.

Now, another example would be Helgaert Dukagge. Just randomly thought of it. Not sure what language that would resemble. Anyway. All of mine are completely made up or inspired by someone I know's real name though it's always altered beyond comparison to hide that fact. It's always been easy to me so I've always assumed others could do it too. I've only just recently discovered that wasn't true and that not everyone forms names so easily.

Mostly because I've only just recently attempted to participate in any forums.