How do you write when you fall into the depression of you character?

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
When you spill the emotions of your character onto yourself, do you ever find it hard to write? Interpret the emotion any way you wish, mine specifically is of my character's depression.

D

Deleted member 45782

Is this something you're looking for?

Nvm. See its bit different question. Well...idk I think it makes it easier to write. My imagination always places me in a 1st point of view on stuff like the main protagonist, so you can directly feel how it feels to be in a situation or how you would react and stuff. And its because everything is in your perspective (like I this and I that.) It just feels so much easier to describe things that come at you then how others 3rd point of view feel because we don't really know how they feel about it or describe it as (we have easier time describing things that happen to us then other people's events in life i feel. Like for example how pissed or sad we feel at something versus just describing someone's expression and action which leads us to presume they're angry). Ofc, haven't really wrote any deep characters, yet so just my take on it.

As writing a character that is depressed and it makes you feel depressed idk. Ik authors write how they feel into their characters but there's probably some that get the reverse and writing certain characters make them feel certain way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
Is this something you're looking for?
No, I mean like, you feel the emotion of my character too much that it interrupts your writing. In my case, it makes me want to just lie down and do nothing. The feeling of dejection just halts my train of thought.
I've once gone through the same emotions, so imagining it while writing just lowers my spirits so much.

Valmond

When you spill the emotions of your character onto yourself, do you ever find it hard to write? Interpret the emotion any way you wish, mine specifically is of my character's depression.
Nope, if anything, I write longer and faster. 🤨

My entire series is depressing. If I get discouraged easily, none of them would be complete.

D

Deleted member 45782

No, I mean like, you feel the emotion of my character too much that it interrupts your writing. In my case, it makes me want to just lie down and do nothing. The feeling of dejection just halts my train of thought.
I've once gone through the same emotions, so imagining it while writing just lowers my spirits so much.
Hmm. I like to think of myself in 1st point of view, but when things get rough for the character, I like to switch or think of me being an outsider watching how it plays out. So whatever negative effect the characters go through doesn't effect me bc I'm just the watcher.

Sorta like you got isekaied into a story, and you're telling how its like, only that you're not the main character of the story.

Sorry if it still doesn't answer your question, but I don't think I have gotten to there yet. I have thought of characters in sad situation and makes one feel sad. But not deep like a depressed character (well there are some feeling down/depressed characters but I don't feel too attached to it like being the same person going through those emotions. Because some of the stuff they go through does not relate to personal life so doesn't feel that deep connected). If I do start to feel this way, Imma protect myself in bubble wrap and pretend I'm outside viewing on the inside.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
Nope, if anything, I write longer and faster. 🤨

My entire series is depressing. If I get discouraged easily, none of them would be complete.

someguysomeone

One of the dime a dozen undead
Oh no. It's never that. When i write my self insert when depressed. My depression makes my self insert depressed not the other way around. Also when my character is thinking about questions which pester me.(basically about how evil i am willing to do hypothetically and for what cause and can anyone love me despite this) Then sometimes that kinda gets depressing.
Pros of self insert
really good realistic story.
Cons
I am not going to put all my thoughts public for others to read.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
Hmm. I like to think of myself in 1st point of view, but when things get rough for the character, I like to switch or think of me being an outsider watching how it plays out. So whatever negative effect the characters go through doesn't effect me bc I'm just the watcher.

Sorta like you got isekaied into a story, and you're telling how its like, only that you're not the main character of the story.

Sorry if it still doesn't answer your question, but I don't think I have gotten to there yet. I have thought of characters in sad situation and makes one feel sad. But not deep like a depressed character. If I do, Imma protect myself in bubble wrap and pretend I'm outside viewing on the inside.
Hmmm, yeah, I should step back. I've been writing while placing myself in the shoes of my character.
Oh damn. It hit me.
For my character, it may have been just a few chapters but for me(as the author), it's been a few hours.
Putting myself in that state of mind for so long, I must be emotionally drained.

D

Deleted member 45782

Hmmm, yeah, I should step back. I've been writing while placing myself in the shoes of my character.
Oh damn. It hit me.
For my character, it may have been just a few chapters but for me(as the author), it's been a few hours.
Putting myself in that state of mind for so long, I must be emotionally drained.
Yeah. One thing I like to do is be 1st person of view to see and describe how it directly feels to a character, but when it gets rough for them, then I just say well actually its not happening to me, Im just a bystander ally on their team watching how things unfold in this story. Sorta like a excuse how to be direct and not be direct to how they go through stuff.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
Yeah. One thing I like to do is be 1st person of view to see and describe how it directly feels to a character, but when it gets rough for them, then I just say well actually its not happening to me, Im just a bystander ally on their team watching how things unfold in this story. Sorta like a excuse how to be direct and not be direct to how they go through stuff.
I'll try it out tomorrow. I've become too lethargic to write. Good night and thank you! :blob_evil_two:

D

Deleted member 45782

For things like this, I change the music I'm listening to and let the music flow to my head and effect my mood. It doesn't always work but it helps to redirect from writing something more fluffy to horror and dark, but it can also be vice versea and changes it from dark/gloomy to a more upbeat kind of song.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
I can only say I don't find it hard. I am emotional and they get to me a lot, but instead of causing issues, they help a lot. I do tend to deeply get into the character's mind. As long as I'm not having trouble seeing what I write through tears, it's fine, heh. But if that happens, I can be sure I captured what I wanted perfectly if it affected me.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I don't think it would affect me since I kinda been studying psychology. While I am kinda good at understanding thoughts and how human brain reacts, its mostly just my lack of skills in implementing them that I have a hard time with. As long as I don't fully create a personality, I'm kinda good at my skills.

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
Characters in the story don't necessarily affect my emotions. Writer's block is depressing and frustrating. So I go look at catgirl pictures and start feeling better little by little.

Ace_Raven

You are not your character, i would keep it as simple as that.

But, if it's too hard. Then you can write other character to do the bidding.

Like, you are basically a god in your story. And the whim of god can cause butterfly effects and make other characters pull your protagonist or other main character out of their depression hole.

Yeah, if you are highly emphetatic person. And the current pov of you protagonist is so unstable and makes it harder for you to write. You could do this.

Just shift the pov to other characters.

I hope this help.