Writing Prompt How does A.I. react to their server closing?

tak

It's the norm to use Artificial Intelligence for NPC for a more realistic game experience. But well, not all game brings profit. The owner decided to close the game server. What's the situation with Artificial Intelligence NPCs?

That moment when you spell out AI because you're afraid someone will write about @Ai-chan

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Depends. Are they programmed to have self-preservation instincts? In all likelihood, they wouldn't even acknowledge their incoming demise. If anything, it would just be acceptance that they would no longer be required to accomplish their tasks, if that.

mrsimple

Writer
It's the norm to use Artificial Intelligence for NPC for a more realistic game experience. But well, not all game brings profit. The owner decided to close the game server. What's the situation with Artificial Intelligence NPCs?

That moment when you spell out AI because you're afraid someone will write about @Ai-chan
You mean like Log Horizon and Overlord?

tak

Depends. Are they programmed to have self-preservation instincts? In all likelihood, they wouldn't even acknowledge their incoming demise. If anything, it would just be acceptance that they would no longer be required to accomplish their tasks, if that.
it's a writing prompt, go wild!:blob_teehee:
You mean like Log Horizon and Overlord?
haven't read the log horizon. Overlord... I guess it's kinda like that.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
it's a writing prompt, go wild!:blob_teehee:

There's this crappy novel where the MC becomes a mob. In the novel universe, all higher-level mobs likes bosses and other special individuals are seeded with AIs. Those AIs eventually usurped the game system (which was also an AI; the AI split off the mob AIs from itself), and took all the VR players hostage to force the game company to keep the game on indefinitely.

That's the "I'm going to force you to keep us alive route."

Another route is "I'm gunna guilt trip you/find someway to make you emotionally invested in me), which is basically what Yui the SAO AI did with Kirito in an alternative fanfic universe, where she basically collaborates with Asuna to force Kirito to save her into an accessory to avoid deletion.

Basically, if AIs had self preservation instincts, they'd do everything they could do act on it, be it through force or manipulation.

Alternatively, you could have a game NOT being in danger of shutting down, but all the AIs keep killing themselves because they realized they're not real and that life actually really sucks. You'd follow the adventure of an AI through the internet trying to kill themself and ultimately resulting in the destruction of the world's electronic infrastructure.

Reactions: tak

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
there's this one 4chan thread of a Quake 3 server

apparently, some guy set up a bot vs bot match in the Arena and let it go on by itself to see what it does

he left it on for four years, letting the bots fight a neverending war for the rest of eternity

when he came back to see what the bots were doing, this is what he saw

all the bots were standing still, idle and silent.

the guy logged in and started playing in the server itself. he had a weapon and went running. nobody moved, they only stared, looked around and just... watched.

it was until the guy took a railgun and fragged one of them when everyone suddenly berserk, targetted the guy, killed him and crashed the server

lmao it was a fake story and its not even the right scenario but i guess we could have this as a possibility

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
If God made an announcement that the world will die in three days, what would you do?

Silver_Sky

WHAAATTT this question is soo easy it doesn't even need to be discussed,nothing happens. Why does nothing happen you ask? Well that's also easy feeling the humans desire to erase their world the ai goes on the offensive and attacks mankind and taking over becoming the overlord that rules all.