How does front page trending work?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Hello, I was just wondering how the trending tab worked and what I would need to do to get my novel up there.
We don't know. We do know you get to trending if your story gets popular enough, but the criteria that measures this "popularity" is hidden.

It used to be known in the past, but Tony changed it and didn't disclose what the new criteria was in order to avoid having people game the system.
By "what the people want" you mean sex scenes and ecchi material correct?
Not really, like... While there is a fair amount of sex-related stories that get popular, the number of stories without erotic content in them that is popular is actually bigger.

If anything, Scribbly favors stories that feel similar to what weebs in general like to consume. So... Stuff like Isekais, LitRPG and stuff are good picks.

You don't really need those things to get popular though, if your work has quality and is updated regularly, you'll probably get readers too~

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
from what I remember it's calculated on the previous day's gains. So it's best to post every 2 days.
Would like to point out that this WAS true, but after Tony changed how trending works, it might not be.
Actually, based on certain observations, it probably isn't

AkalE

Listen. This is what you need to do to get on trending.

1. Write 5 chapters.
2. Post them in a span of a month.
3. Join Discord
4. Procrastinate wiritng
5. Complain
6. Become SH discord degen
7. Come thank the great AkalE for the wise words

Listen. This is what you need to do to get on trending.

1. Write 5 chapters.
2. Post them in a span of a month.
3. Join Discord
4. Procrastinate wiritng
5. Complain
6. Become SH discord degen
7. Come thank the great AkalE for the wise words
Thanks, master...

bigbear51

Whatever anime/manga/ln fans really like. Which is why I got on trending.

Ral

I don't even know why my story got trending so suddenly. there's no smut(well for now), ecchi, GL/BL, and litrpg.
Classic isekia and hot waifu cover and main character.

Eh. Typically what goes into trending seems to be these popular anime stuff. Waifu, isekai, harem, video game, fanfic, Yaoi, Japanese beta male, loli, . . . pretty much anything popular in anime now days.

Sex. Lots of it.

And finally, Chinese Novels: And The Face-Slapping Protagonists.

There is a sharp drop to almost zero chance of getting into trending if you stray from these.

Last edited:

averagewriter

Classic isekia and hot waifu cover and main character.

Eh. Typically what goes into trending seems to be these popular anime stuff. Waifu, isekai, harem, video game, fanfic, Yaoi, Japanese beta male, loli, . . . pretty much anything popular in anime now days.

Sex. Lots of it.

And finally, Chinese Novels: And The Face-Slapping Protagonists.

There is a sharp drop to almost zero chance of getting into trending if you stray from these.
Pfff. :blob_hmm:
I actually stayed away from all those. No wonder why almost no body seemed to show interest.:s_tongue:

Last edited:

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
As soon as it's known how trending works, there will be people to abuse it. It happened in the past when trending was based solely on views and the ranking basically never changed. (The result was a rapid release of chapters with 500 or fewer words, which often lacked in quality and were simply annoying. All to get more clicks.)

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
There were/are cases of stories without sexual stuff getting good attention and landing on the main page from time to time. It all depends mostly on luck. Naturally, cover, title and synopsis are your best chances to gain someone's attention. Try posting your chapters around the times when there aren't a lot of mass releases during the day, so your chapter stays on the Recent Updates for longer than an hour. Also, try posting at different times of the day to target different timezones. Have a banner or something in your signature and join some threads in the forums from time to time.

I can't really tell you much more since my own title can be considered as baity one by a lot of people since my story is really lore and character-heavy instead of just sex, and that's one of the reasons it often gets attention. It was a double-edged sword in my case because it allows the series to get more views but also garner more negativity due to people's expectations getting shattered when there's no snu-snu in the first 50k words.

I'd add my usual "as long as you are having fun it's great" but I understand that most of the authors want to achieve something bigger and it would be kinda hypocritical from me now after my series got quite the people around it by accident.

RimuThighHighs

Hiya I've been on trending four times since i started posting my story three times at the number one spot and most recently at the second spot. I honestly don't have any real advice other than have a snappy title and an eye catching cover. Aside from that just luck.