How does your 'Characters' laugh?

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Depending on your 'character' whether it be good, neutral, chaotic, evil, or just plain wacky... they have their own versions of how they laugh. Fellow writers, I'd love to hear your Characters' versions. With this thread, I hope to glean a bit of your artistry. So that I may imitate, internalize and absorb them.

My version--
Crazies: haaHAHAhAHaHahHAhHahaHahHa
Annoyingly funny: Huehuehuehue
Evil Camp: Kekekekeke

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
Depending on your 'character' whether it be good, neutral, chaotic, evil, or just plain wacky... they have their own versions of how they laugh. Fellow writers, I'd love to hear your Characters' versions. With this thread, I hope to glean a bit of your artistry. So that I may imitate, internalize and absorb them.

My version--
"XAXAXAXAXA"

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

My version--
i just write a small "heh' to indicate a chuckle. then anything more i write it out. like, "He laughed uproariously." or " he guffawed until he needed to lean over the table to support himself."

i dont like the long "AHAHAHAHHAHAHA" stuff some people do. It works in anime subtitles, but not in novels. Some sounds you dont NEED to write out. Onomatopoeia, for example, is common in comics but there's a reason its not in paperbacks or hard covers. There's so many better ways to describe laughter ( or anything, really) in novel form. If you can't, that's just due to your own lack of experience.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
I just describe laughter as 'he laughed', if my characters remember not to be such miserable twats for long enough for them to laugh at all. A quick 'ha!' might get said sometimes.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Depends on the character, and I'm assuming that it's a proper laugh.
Scott - asthmatic gruff old man laugh
Lou - chuckle, followed by a mix of wheezing and ha's
Elysif - loud gut busting laugh with a snort every now and then due to bad habits
Iscariot - Chihuahua with crushed balls
Compton - a fake deep laugh that becomes more higher pitched the longer it lasts
Mordred - doesn't laugh but holds it in and repeatedly slaps the nearest flat surface as hard as she can
Merlin - hyperactive twink cat mewls
Rubin Ruben - drunk Gimli
Mama Louise - haughty rich lady laugh

Domoviye

I write that they laugh, chuckle, giggle, laugh hysterically, bitterly, sadly, etc.

With Keir, my MC for Necromancer Unmanned, he frequently giggles, and hates it. He's trying to get it back to a chuckle.

Sebas_Guzman

I actually like the way one piece incorporates laugh into the character, and I like doing it for my series. A lot of times, I'll just describe it as maniacal, chuckle, or whatever else, but I have no problem writing (within reason)
"Gwahaha"
Bow-howhow
Shurarara.

Yeah, some of them are goofy, but at times that's the point. This is a goofy laugh, and character's will point it out. You can't really get the humor doing otherwise.
I also like the idea of an audiobook narrator having to read the laugh. They're already reading worse things, the laugh won't kill them.
The nice thing about writing out the laugh is that readers that identify the character with the laugh, would know who's talking without the character being identified.

Overall though, I know it's a stylistic thing, and I know most would rather not read the laughs written out, but I also target light novel readers, who are more used to seeing strange identifying markers in their translated webnovels.

I personally find the rare laugh better than verbals ticks like "nya" and "fueh"

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Girlish giggles. Other times, throws head back and laughs like a drunken sailor.