How Fast Do You Read?

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I’d like to ask the question of how fast you can read in three conditions.

How fast do you read when you are interested in the topic/story

I’d say I’m about 600 words per minute.

How fast do you read when you are not interested in the topic/story?

idk

How fast do you read when the story uses big brain words you don’t understand?
for me it depends on the jargon stuff, let’s just say 400 wpm

Yi_San

Well...
I kinda read 800 words plus in a minute if it is interesting for me.
If it seems to be not that good for me, my reading rate will plummet as i just skip the uninteresting part and pull up again good parts. I estimate that will be a 450 minus words.
Well... for Big brain stories, I will read it at same rate. Kinda like ignoring the screaming genius little words and later when regurgitate the story (in my mind), use a dictionary to understand interesting words while ignoring others. ( In that case, head and tail of the story is enough for me...)

Lol, did I deviate from the topic? Nah!

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
Maybe 300 W/m?

Maybe 1000 W/m?

Maybe 300 W/m?

I get slower with any outside noises or distractions. I get faster when it's not as interesting because I no longer analyze and imagine everything, no immersion = high speed.

Edit: lower it to 100-300 for 1. and 3.

Last edited:

NikkuNii

Socially awkward Vampire/Yandere Madlad
I’d like to ask the question of how fast you can read in three conditions.

I’d say I’m about 600 words per minute.

idk

Wow! That's fast. It depends on the topic; some books are hard to understand so I often have to reread lines. Otherwise, I'm a pretty fast reader. I finished Stephen King's IT in about 3-4 days. That's 1,138 pages I believe.

SuperHeiyan

How tf do you guys know how many ya'll read? Do you guys count word for word or something haha.
Actual computer soft for this kind of stuff is exist and used during literature lessons in schools.
Or you can go cheap way, copy chunk of some neutral themed fictional story into any text editor that is able to count words and use a timer. Dont go for a one minute thought, at very least five. Well, something in the range of 5 to 40 min, the "fresher" you are, the longer you need to read to make resultates more relevant. And then separate number of words that is shown by number of minutes you read then you hit the time limit.

I remember back in the day, when I was 8 yo or so, teacher used actual book with paragraphs marked with the word count to test us, "picking" us up one by one at the middle of the book reading during lesson and making us read her book for seven minutes.I can proudly say that my result forced her to count manually while making many new marks.

orangepeel

If I am intrested in something then I go slower about 300 wpm, If I am rereading i add about 100 to that.
regular boring material rate is about 400 WPM
If the material is really boring I may speed read only geting a cursury understanding of the plot at around 1600 WPM. Don't know if that counts as reading but I can give a summary of the plot afterwards.
College level textbooks and similary dense material usualy comes out at 100 WPM do to rereading. Also about the same for broken english.