How important is music to you when reading and/or writing?

King_Vaelin

For me listening to music is synonymous with reading and writing. I tend not to listen to anything with lyrics, only ambience or instrumentals that fit the tone of what I'm reading or writing. Music such as the Behelit theme or the Narnia Lullaby, ranging from anime ost to movie soundtracks, if it fits the bill I'll listen to it for immersion. So, how important is music to you when reading and writing? Any favorites that you wouldn't mind sharing?

🍑

SailusGebel

Same as you, it's synonymous. However, I listen not only to instrumentals but everything that strikes me fancy. It doesn't need to fit the scene either.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
For me listening to music is synonymous with reading and writing. I tend not to listen to anything with lyrics, only ambience or instrumentals that fit the tone of what I'm reading or writing. Music such as the Behelit theme or the Narnia Lullaby, ranging from anime ost to movie soundtracks, if it fits the bill I'll listen to it for immersion. So, how important is music to you when reading and writing? Any favorites that you wouldn't mind sharing?

🍑
I like background noise so I'm always playing either music or youtube videos. Techn9ne, Eminem. Or oldies, like The Beatles or Hermans Hermits.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer

🍑
Doom(2016 & eternal) OST when writing action. ASMR when writing naughty scenes. Ambience when writing normal conversations/walking around/doing whatever

EternalSunset0

🍑
I like it, although it's not necessary. I just listen to anime songs or whatever rock music I can get my hands on or am feeling at the moment.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I'm the type of motherfucker to put on Radiohead while reading wholesome fluff manga, so it's more of an extra stimulant than something that adds to the experience.

I could be reading Junji Ito with Chet Baker skullfucking me with trumpet solos.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
I guess I like multi tasking, so I tend to listen to whatever YouTube recommends, and then I turn it off when I need to concentrate. A lot of ASMR does end up playing that way though.
Doom(2016 & eternal) OST when writing action. ASMR when writing naughty scenes. Ambience when writing normal conversations/walking around/doing whatever
Stop sabotaging my recommendations.

ThatOne

I usually never listen to music, I don't listen to music in general i guess

CaTastrophy427

When writing, I often listen to one song on loop for the duration of a scene, but that's after I find one that fits the scene in question. I've got a dozen or so playlists categorized by what general kinds of scenes the songs tend to fit (dark, action, schemey, mysterious, etc) so they're easier to find. Most of them have lyrics, but the majority of those are in a language I'm not fluent in - yes, plenty are JP, but there're a lot of german songs, some french, polish, russian, and a couple in czech, italian, portuguese, persian, and a couple others I'm blanking on.

When reading or just doing anything other than writing, on the other hand, I tend to listen to whatever strikes my fancy in whatever language, either as a playlist or a single one on repeat. I've got another couple dozen playlists categorized by language, speed, genre, subject, style, and even a few for specific artists. Plus, one with absolutely everything, totaling to 7836 songs - though several dozen songs are duplicated in different languages.

Generik0

It distracts me very much. When I listen to music of any kind it deviates me from writing and reading.

My mind completely focuses on the contents of the music. Rather than the story I am reading or writing.

ziplen4

not for writing, only for reading when I listen to music. The music has to match the tone of what I am reading or else I cannot focus the story at all.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
I guess I like multi tasking, so I tend to listen to whatever YouTube recommends, and then I turn it off when I need to concentrate. A lot of ASMR does end up playing that way though.

Stop sabotaging my recommendations.
Unless u get ASMR Zhen, that's not me

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
May or may not be that important. Sometimes it's distracting, sometimes it's invigorating.

Depends on my mood, really. And more so for writing than for reading. I find reading with something playing on the background most distracting.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
I put music depending on what I'm working on currently. Currently listening to some chill synthwave mix because my story is romance and drama, so I get either relaxing tunes or more dramatic ones from that choice. I couldn't concentrate with, let's say, eurobeat, which I was listening to when I was writing another romance story for this app in the hopes of getting paid (which I didn't). That music set me up to not take the writing seriously, which was fine because it got reads anyways (the threshold of quality was so low over there. But for my current story that I am takings seriously, I need something that fits the mood, preferably without lyrics as that is distracting.

As for reading, nothing. I'm too specific in the music I need when it comes to reading that I might as well not even bother.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Unless I have the PERFECT song, I find music distracting. That being said, music does help inspire me if it is the perfect song.

Vivian-M.K.

We match the song with what we are writing.

We've had some of the most depressing music you can think of playing on loops for hours.

Other times we've had screamo going.

Other times it's whatever weird thing we can groove to.

We do need music to write and edit though.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Personally, the music is what inspires the scene rather than me thinking of a scene and finding the music that matches or adds to it. Most recent one was Bad Habits by Ed Sheeran. Heard the song for the first time two days ago, then bam, one of the last scenes in a volume I was writing wrote itself.