How likely is.....?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
(writing this without reading the whole thread because tbh i don't feel like commitment today)

It'll very, highly unlikely gain any huge traction. You might get a cult following at best, or maybe an MS Paint fan art or two but not a place in the trending. Look at Slime Reincarnation and Berserk. We both know which is the better one but guess who's sitting atop the ranking list?

But honestly, why care? Sure, it might make your work seem worthwhile but deep down inside, you just want to write something realistic and exciting while grounded to actual battle formations and rules. You just wanna write something that excites you, trains your head and gets your blood pumping as you lay that thousand-yard stare scene of the archers laying a vengeful rain of arrows at a turtling Roman pile of shields as a band of mercenaries come tripping in with lances in front and bows behind.

Just write, bro.

Arkus86

How likely is it that a realistic medieval-war fiction would gain any traction here? No magic, no fantasy, just typical savagery, butchery, slaughter, massacre, occasional rape, potential genocide, senseless mind-numbing carnage and chaos, betrayal, slavery, and battles and tactics? Long story short, big empire falling apart. Closest example without giving anything away is the fall of the western Roman empire after the great migration with all the barbarian tribes and all that nasty war goodness that accompanied.

No nation or person will be real though several will have historical similarities to real people.
I would certainly give it a try.
The premise roughly reminds me of The Eagle’s Flight. Although a fantasy, it is very low on fantasy elements so far and has a lot of wars, politics and plots around rather large cast of characters, focused around an empire weakened from within by a power struggle and aftershocks of a bloody civil war.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Obviously Slime is better. Berserk is certified overrated and carried on its #sogood art and willing to take things far enough, but shock value is all you get out of it.

Just kidding. Berserk is better, but still not by much.

I'm honestly still waiting for a novel that focuses on the logistics side of war. Saga of Tanya the Evil gave me a taste of it at certain points and I want more.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I'm honestly still waiting for a novel that focuses on the logistics side of war.
there's a lot of manga that does that but as for a novel, nah. maybe you gotta dig deeper

Berserk is certified overrated
you actually made me choke here

Just kidding. Berserk is better,
*phew

but still not by much.
what are you talking about it's a masterpiece does slime have a comparison between good for the many and evil for the good of one i don't think so does slime have griffith exploiting a country's gain and screwed a princess because his loyal bff betrayed him by going on a self-discovery adventure nu-uh i doesn't slime is only a bare-bones decently done anime while berserk the obviously superior one has more thought and depth put into it-

oh oh oh
oh oh oh oh oh oh god

sorry the demons kinda got out

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
Honestly, I'd be interested so long as the story is good.

Like others have said, it'll likely have a niche cult following versus a massive viewer base, but if that doesn't matter to you go for it.

I'd imagine writing about all the complexities of war would be pretty challenging. Especially if you plan to add in politics, internal power struggles, logistics, and how warring affects the common citizenry.

It's one topic I have decided to push back from writing in my own story, at least until I feel competant enough to tackle it on.

D.Dimitrov

[Trash Talker]
Umu, I don't think there would be huge readerbase for that, but I can tell you 1 thing for sure. I love stories for wars and so on, so if you post it and it's good enough, I will read it for sure. Wars and Kingdom Building are my favorites. (If you exclude Romance). So in mu opinion, post it and see what happens. You never know.

LWFlouisa

Hey if there's an audience for my work here, there has to be an audience for your premise. I might check it out! I'm of the mind to test out places, even if you think there might not be an audience.

( I do a lot of cross-genre stuff. )

bidoblob

Try searching for historical while also searching for stuff without the Fantasy Genre.

Ethereal

Maybe mix up the georaphy or make fictional geography and maybe do something with the races like an empire that has the ruling class resembling africans or asians but with a european culture and technology. maybe make up a few dog breeds and or other domestic animal breeds like a stronger more powerful horse or something. maybe give the people realistic but cool racial traits like babrbarians who have unusually high testosterone resulting in higher agression, fertility, virility and muscle growth. or other stuff like that. all these idea are very general so feel free to use them. its not like idea can be copyrighted anyway, only storys etc.