How many buffer chapters do you keep?

Azrie

Redemption Seeker
I used to have a chapter buffer of around 20k words. However, I abused double uploads and I ran out of it. Right now I am desperately trying to build-up one. I currently have a 2 chapter buffer however ideally I would like a 10-14 one. Maybe just me, I am currently trying to build it up like I said however even writing 3k words a day it is still pretty hard to build it up so...

Jemini

Buffer chapters are a necessity for me. Rather than a specific amount, I try posting a set amount of chapters each week (3), then writing as many as I can over the course of the week. This averages me a net gain of 1.5-2 chapters in my buffer per week. a buffer is a very important thing if you plan on going professional, because mass releases and early access are powerful tools that require a buffer.

Plus it allows me to quietly fix some errors before the world at large sees them.

That's similar to me (amost down to the letter actually,) except that I've managed to recently use up my buffer thanks to finals and now I'm despirately trying to rebuild it.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
1 chapter and only to edit plotholes and mistakes. However, I still run back and forth to correct mistakes. :sweating_profusely:

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
Buffer chapters? What's that? LOL just joking. For me, I tend to stock at least 3000-5000 words or until I feel its enough.

Metazoxan

Overall how many buffer chapters you want is entirely up to you. I think rather than planning "How many" as a hard rule it's better to think about why you want them and how you plan to use them.

For example

• Do you have school. work, or anything that can pick up or slow down resulting in your ability to write changing? Obviously this can happen to anyone but if you EXPECT it to happen more than once then you need to play accordingly with one buffer chapter for each release day you could potentially miss. So if you release a chapter a day and might miss a week due to finals then you'll need AT LEAST 7 chapters.
  • Have you planned your story out to the end or are you kinda only planning a bit in advance? Either approach is up to you but if you haven't already outlined your story from start to finish then you might want a good 2 to 5 chapters prepared in case of writers block. This way you'll have a bit of time to figure out how to sort the block out without every day lost putting you further behind schedule.
  • Do you ever want to bulk release? In my experience bulk release can be great for boosting viewer ship and building hype. It doesn't even have to be a big bulk. Just maybe releasing the finale of an arc all at once can leave a good impression on people who will be happy to not read the finale in parts. Obviously this requires buffer chapters and this will be on top of any buffer chapters you set up for safety.
Overall with everything considered I'd say a 10 chapter buffer is the ideal for the average person. But again think about what you want and need.

Wintertime

King of Nothing
Don't usually buffer, unless I plan to consistently upload.