How many chapters after a reader might give up?

Bleeding24x7

Does having too many chapters to read causes readers to loose interest, and when I say too many I mean nearly 2000+.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
It depends. If it's a very boring/crushing first 5 chapters, I, as a reader, might drop it harder than the doctor dropped me as an infant. If it's a very interesting first 5 chapters, I might last until I burn out of reading.

For others, factors might play in as well (word count, grammar, writing style, structure, narrative flow), but generally, as long as it captivates from the start and leaves a good first impression, the reader's bound to stick to it.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
  • 0: The reader finds any of the genres or tags or synopsis unappealing.
  • 1: The reader finds the writing style distasteful.
  • 2 to 9: The reader realizes there is no plot.
  • 10 to 99: The reader realizes the plot is a pointless spiral.
  • 100 to 999: The reader ran out of steam before the author.
  • 1000 to 9999: Welcome to the world of chinese cultivation novels.
  • 10 000 and beyond: one chapter, one word.

Bleeding24x7

• 0: The reader finds any of the genres or tags or synopsis unappealing.
  • 1: The reader finds the writing style distasteful.
  • 2 to 9: The reader realizes there is no plot.
  • 10 to 99: The reader realizes the plot is a pointless spiral.
  • 100 to 999: The reader ran out of steam before the author.
  • 1000 to 9999: Welcome to the world of chinese cultivation novels.
  • 10 000 and beyond: one chapter, one word.
True Chinese cultivation novels really drag stuff, but very few remaining standing till the end

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
Yes, generally the longer the worse. The longest CN novel i know of is over 11.5k to 15k chapters. It went utterly repetitive and totally titanic flaming garbage fire made of toxic waste and shit after just 400 chapters.

from my experience, readers can give up just by seeing the author's name.

like me with toika's novels. after everyone else is a returnee, i don't think i've ever read anything good from him. it's all mindless grinding and i fucking hate it.

for chapter count, i think i prefer shorter novels with no fillers. i guess the korean novel formats (200+ chapters) suit me best. i finished several korean novels while the only CN novel I finished was the World Online.

as for JP novels, they tend to be so damn slow in both translation and the updates, I often forget about them.

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Does having too many chapters to read causes readers to loose interest, and when I say too many I mean nearly 2000+.
It depends on the reader.

Personally speaking, I don't read anything with 1000+ chapters. I just don't see any reason why a story can't be wrapped up in less chapters than that, so... If I see 1000+ chapters, I instantly assume there is a lot of pointless filler within the story.

I don't think my view on it is very popular though, considering how popular xianxia is nowadays and stuff... Still, it's how I feel~

Shaiyamine

It depends really on the reader. For me I'm not too keen on reading stories that take 1k or longer but there are novels that were able to catch my attention and make me stay till that point.

I also am pretty particular about writing style. If the novel has good writing and great execution even if the plot is meh I can stay for around 200-800 chapters. If the writing isn't all good then I'm probably gonna stay for 20-150 ish chapters before giving up. Then if I don't like the writing style I give up at 1.

Normally from what I've heard from friends who read novels at around 500 chapters are a decent amount. When it comes to 1k chapters then that novel needs to have good writing and plot for them to last.

Point is if you can keep a reader engaged and interested in your story then 2k chapters isn't a problem. It's all about if you can keep them interested without becoming boring.

TowerGuy

Not usually, although it might.

In some sites, a single reader binge-reading 2000+ chapters from a single novel is enough to put it on trending, which attracts more readers lol

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Nah you can get that done in a couple days to a week.

Peope lose interest more to repetition. Too many tournament arcs. Too many betrayals. Too many needless face slapping. Same shit different names.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Some of my readers are people I have voice chats with when playing Heroes of the Storm. They are so shocked to hear a feminine voice that they'll bow down and worship at her feet. However, once they see I have over fifty chapters, they get scared. Keep in mind these are often people who don't typically read anything longer than a meme, though.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Some of my readers are people I have voice chats with when playing Heroes of the Storm. They are so shocked to hear a feminine voice that they'll bow down and worship at her feet. However, once they see I have over fifty chapters, they get scared. Keep in mind these are often people who don't typically read anything longer than a meme, though.

:blob_hmm: Your posts are always as insightful as they are disturbing. Have people no backbone these days?

SilentGazer

I usually don't touch stuff that's shorter then 100 pages at least and consider chapters with less then 1k words a shameful tease.

If the story is interesting (which rules out most xianxias) and has decent grammar, seeing 500+ unread chapers ahead... well, now my body is ready.

xluferx

Yes, generally the longer the worse. The longest CN novel i know of is over 11.5k to 15k chapters. It went utterly repetitive and totally titanic flaming garbage fire made of toxic waste and shit after just 400 chapters.
WTF?! And here I thought that MGA 3k chapters were ridiculous

Kldran

The longest thing I've read was Library of Heaven's Path. I lost interest around chapter 1,800. From what I can tell, the main issue is that a single story just can't last too long without excessive repetition, and that means the alternative is stringing multiple stories together by having the same characters involved in all of them. However, in the case of multiple stories, there's the risk of readers not liking the new story as much as the previous one (which is why I dropped it after 1,800 chapters. The story had changed to something I found less interesting).

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
:blob_hmm: Your posts are always as insightful as they are disturbing. Have people no backbone these days?
Just calling it like I see it! It's difficult to tell if they have a backbone or not through voice chat, though. You kinda need to get up close and personal to feel that out.

Arexio

Coffee Addict
I think WMW had 1000+ chapters. That was an interesting read, but I was young and naive when I read that one.

Pretty sure I wouldn't read a similar novel any time soon. :blob_popcorn: