How many chapters do you have in stock ahead of the regular schedule?

BlackKnightX

For those of you who monetize through Patreon, how many chapters do you have in stock before the regular updating schedule? Let’s say, if you set the price on Patreon as 10$ per 20 advanced chapters, do you always have to keep the stock in that amount or more? What if something urgent suddenly comes up, and you can’t write for a while; does it affect the flow? If that happens, then how do you deal with it?

PurpleCatGirl

we do our patreon advance chapters by time instead of # chapters. we promise patrons they'll get chapters at least a week early but in practice they get things 2 weeks ahead of the public. so we posted a chapter this morning on patreon, that will be posted on scribblehub in 2 weeks. and the chapter we post today on scribble was posted to patreon 2 weeks ago.
in terms of # of chapters, generally that means patrons are 14 chapters ahead because we usually post a chapter every day.
so far there hasn't been an issue of not being able to write, because we don't post the 1st chapter anywhere until the entire story is written. eg. i just finished a 32-chapter story yesterday, that isn't scheduled to start running on patreon till next week & won't start posting on scribble for 3 weeks.

Well, we're already holding chapters back until the whole arc is done. If we ever get a consistent enough output to get any actual following on Patreon... the most obvious way to let patrons see new chapters early would be to post them when the chapter is done, instead of holding it back while we finish the arc.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I have five typed and probably 60 more in my paper notebooks. I haven't counted.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
If I remember rightly, you need fingerless gloves, a cold garret, and a pet wild rat to pull off the longhand writing thing

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
For those of you who monetize through Patreon, how many chapters do you have in stock before the regular updating schedule? Let’s say, if you set the price on Patreon as 10$ per 20 advanced chapters, do you always have to keep the stock in that amount or more? What if something urgent suddenly comes up, and you can’t write for a while; does it affect the flow? If that happens, then how do you deal with it?
None. Ai-chan is so busy that if Ai-chan stocks chapters, there won't be a new chapter for a whole year. So Ai-chan releases them as soon as they're edited.

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
I write five chapters per day, post one. I have 39 chapters in stock for now. But I don't use Patreon, so I am in no obligation to keep that number.