How many times you re-read chapter before posting

How many times do you re-read before posting new chapter

• Never - I don't make mistakes, so why would I?

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • 1 - just to find typos/grammar errors

Votes: 17 36.2%

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Until I fix everything

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Until I hate myself and the novel I'm writing

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters

Reisinling

As in title.

Personally, I have to give up on second time. When I re-read stuff it all seems like mush to me. But generally I find things to improve, which is nice. Except, when you repeat it too many times it doesn't feel like the same chapter.

LotsChrono

Random. Depends on how much I like the chapter. Yes, if I like the chapter more, I reread it a lot. If I don’t, usually just once or twice then.

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
As in title.

Personally, I have to give up on second time. When I re-read stuff it all seems like mush to me. But generally I find things to improve, which is nice. Except, when you repeat it too many times it doesn't feel like the same chapter.
i don't i usally post a couple chapters and work on them over a year span then post another couple chaps.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I usually write my chapters scene by scene, and each scene would take a day most often. Thus by the time I am done with the chapter, the earlier scenes have been read 3-4 times already over the span of few days with a fresh head every time. I find this style quite useful to catch semantic blunders specifically

Recently I only write them and use grammarly to correct stuff, so I never really re-read them

A lot of my stuff are just drunk writing though

D

Deleted member 45782

The couple times I did, i will write and edit it til I think its good enough or got tired and just wanna put something out there and publish it.

EternalSunset0

In terms of the editorial process and pre-posting, once, to check for grammar errors and such. Some types still slip through though :blob_frown:

However, after posting, I sometimes re-read them for reference for the future chapters. Or to feel a sense of joy as I re-visualize some of my favorite moments and imagine them with the voice acting and all that, enjoying the fact that I managed to put all those down in words.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
I am confident enough not to read my chapters before posting them.

LordJoyde

I don't.

I find a grammar nazi friend of mine, who is also a writer but never got the 'balls to post stuff online', his words not mine, and force him to review my stories for free.

He gets to laugh at me for my grammar and think its annoying, I get a free proofreader.

If he isn't available though, I'll usually force myself to read a chapter once, just to polish it up a bit. When I write, I get intensly immersed into the plot to where actually reading the chapter becomes much the same as forcing yourself to relive a recent memory.

Not the most pleasant of experiences.

Pontan

I don't.

I find a grammar nazi friend of mine, who is also a writer but never got the 'balls to post stuff online', his words not mine, and force him to review my stories for free.

He gets to laugh at me for my grammar and think its annoying, I get a free proofreader.

If he isn't available though, I'll usually force myself to read a chapter once, just to polish it up a bit. When I write, I get intensly immersed into the plot to where actually reading the chapter becomes much the same as forcing yourself to relive a recent memory.

Not the most pleasant of experiences.
How fortunate! :mad_s:

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
> Just after writing
> A few times again when I get a sudden flash of some mistake I made and go back for it or find it while rereading to refresh memories during writing another one
> Just before publishing

Average: 4-5

Toomanysorrows

Technically I just sit down to reread/rewrite it once (my first drafts are usually very bad so there's often a fair bit of rewriting involved) but during that time I usually reread individual passages more than once after having given them a first look over. So I only sit down for it once but it probably amounts to reading it over a couple of times?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I usually re-read once, one day after I wrote it. It helps me look at things with a fresh mind and get a better grasp of what scenes I want to change and the like... Also good for spotting typos and stuff.

Sometimes I re-read it more though, mainly because I thought of a change for a given chapter while taking a shower or whatever, and now I want to implement it. C3 of the novel I'm currently writing must have been re-written at least 5x by now... >.>

PurpleCatGirl

Probably 6 to 12 times?
I write way in advance of posting. When I finish a chapter I go back and reread it as soon as its done. then i reread chapters as i continue writing.
then when it's finished, i read the whole thing start to finish 2 or 3 times to try catching any continuity errors & make sure the story flows. then there's probably a month or more before it's due to start posting & if i really liked the story i'll reread it a few more times just for fun.
and when i start posting it, each chapter gets a final read-thru before it goes live.
and sometimes that final re-read when i post a chapter sucks me in and i end up reading the rest of the story yet again. idk how many times i've basically lost a full day because i posted a chapter in the morning then wound up binging the whole story because i got sucked back into it lol.

morhamza

I can't handle rereading what I've written. I do all the spellcheck, grammar check and then I post. I go out and live my life, then come back a few hours later to read the post. I then edit out any mistakes, but I try not to rewrite the story in deference to early readers.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
For my current story, once. I write the chapter and then look it over one more time, but that's pretty much it. The thing is, my current story is more experimental, nothing serious, though it is getting some traction so I want to experiment with it outside of Scribble Hub and see what kind of reaction I can get from it, but nothing that requires me to pour a million hours to get that one sentence right.

I am planning on writing a "real" story, and for that one, I will be rereading it a few more times. I've actually written something more robust with world building and what not. I would rewrite it like 10 times. People still found things wrong with the writing. But then again, I posted it on Critique Circle and those guys are kind of snooty about writing. No writing style seems to get their approval.

If my current story is anything to go by, I wouldn't sweat over trying to get everything perfect. As long as it's readable and the story is understandable, people are not going to care with the exception of the few who will write a review on it. I swear, for my story, I'm only writing it by the seat of my pants and people are like "I like this". it baffles me, but I guess this is part of the experimentation.

Well, that's assuming you just want to have some fun. If you want to sell the thing, get it published, then yeah, you'll have to put some work in and reread it. I guess it all depends on how much effort you are willing to go for your story and what outcome you want the result to be.

SootShade

Just once, with the story that I'm actually releasing. Just to proofread and occasionally reformulate some sentences. If I reread something with the intention to fix the actual story, then I'll be rewriting it at least a dozen times before I'm remotely satisfied, and I definitely wouldn't be releasing three chapters per week with that pace.