How many words are you looking for in a chapter

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
Hey, guys. So I want to get into the wind of writing again, ben doing some practice runs on my time away from the site and decided that I got stories to tell and need to come back some day, so nowish would be good a time as any to.

I want to know though about the length that most people are looking for, I normally do 5k to 10k for each chapter words, but I think that just scared most people away from my works so I was thinking of doing less than that to keep people invested in my works and to give them the most amount of content possible for te work that I'll be uploading.
Also, if you guys have any other tips for writing styles t be more comprehensive and get my message across easier, that'll be great, not sure how good the people that Iwas training with were, but I need some more in-depth look on how to get my idea to people and entertain them from actual writers.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Hey, guys. So I want to get into the wind of writing again, ben doing some practice runs on my time away from the site and decided that I got stories to tell and need to come back some day, so nowish would be good a time as any to.

I want to know though about the length that most people are looking for, I normally do 5k to 10k for each chapter words, but I think that just scared most people away from my works so I was thinking of doing less than that to keep people invested in my works and to give them the most amount of content possible for te work that I'll be uploading.
Also, if you guys have any other tips for writing styles t be more comprehensive and get my message across easier, that'll be great, not sure how good the people that Iwas training with were, but I need some more in-depth look on how to get my idea to people and entertain them from actual writers.
I write 4-5k, and most readers actually prefer my chapters for being that lengthy. So if you want lengthy chapters, go for it. You’ll find the right audience eventually. Better to have 30 solid 5k words than 100 chapters with 1k words.

GodlyKamui

Onee-san Smut Enjoyer
It actually depends if you want to gain readers quickly or not.

I mean, the minimum amount of words I write for a chapter is 5k, but I know I'm giving up daily releases because of that. The first novel I published here was updated Monday-Wednesday-Friday and each chapter was 2k - 4k, so I gained a ton of readers because I had a consistent schedule.

The important take here is, that is what matters more is that you write the amount you feel the most comfortable writing. I write 5k because that's how I feel that I'm telling enough about the world of my novel to my readers.

I do, however, agree with the statement above. It is way better to have solid chapters than vague short ones. :blob_hmm_two:

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
1k words because I'm currently reading novels in webnovel and most of them upload daily with 1k words per chapter. It's good because every day I know that I will have something to read. (In readers perspective.)

Noel_Elitia

Well, my usual word limit exists from 8k to 12k.
In between i insert interlude and the prologues and epilogues are usually around - 3k.
Though many people might complain about the length chapters, but i still like my chapters to be wholesome. i think that's what's really important.

Dudealien

Pepsiman is my stand
Doesn’t matter to me, as long as it’s engaging and makes me want to read the next chapter

TotallyHuman

Anywhere between 2~4k. Any less is too bite-sized, any more is too much of a drag.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I usually write 1.7k - 3.5k chapters, I can’t really write more than that
I mean that's fine too, I wasn't really trying to say "short chapters suck" rather that if you have the ability to write more and want to, you should

RCLawrence20

I strive to aim for at least 3k words, but it fluctuates, depending on how long it takes to reach a natural conclusion in the chapter. Definitely more than 1k words.

Marunikyu

Most excellent anti-Marxist smut writer
Either 4200 words, 6969 words or 7777 words. Anything else is unacceptable. 🦙

Scaver

1k words because I'm currently reading novels in webnovel and most of them upload daily with 1k words per chapter. It's good because every day I know that I will have something to read. (In readers perspective.)
If you are publishing in webnovel then writing short chapter is the way to go. Everyone get 3 fast pass evveryday and no matter how long the chapter is one can just unlock. It's pure loss in term of business.

i prefer reading long chapter(5k) when im hooked to a story.
And im currently writing around 5k word chapter.....

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Between 1k to 2.5k. Ai-chan tries to limit the wordcount in a chapter. Anything more is too long for reading while commuting to work or school. It's not like the readers only read novels in the train, some of them converse with friends too. And if they can't finish reading the chapter, they (particularly the OCD people) might read in class, and that's bad. Children should study in class, not read fantasy novels. If they finish a chapter quickly and there's still plenty of time before they reach school, they can read another chapter. See, Ai-chan is being a responsible adult.

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
Between 1k to 2.5k. Ai-chan tries to limit the wordcount in a chapter. Anything more is too long for reading while commuting to work or school. It's not like the readers only read novels in the train, some of them converse with friends too. And if they can't finish reading the chapter, they (particularly the OCD people) might read in class, and that's bad. Children should study in class, not read fantasy novels. If they finish a chapter quickly and there's still plenty of time before they reach school, they can read another chapter. See, Ai-chan is being a responsible adult.
Thank you Ai-chan, but I normally write heavy smut, no kids should go anywhere near that, but I guess I'll have to keep the readability in mind when I make the chapters long so as not to waste peoples time or interrupt their day-to-day lives

Grandloaf

Well when i'm writing I shoot for at least 1.5k-2.5k (though I dont always hit that.) When reading I don't really care as long as the the pacing is good.

I don't want to read a chapter over 5k that has a lot of needless fluff that dosent add anything.