Writing How Many Words Should I Put?

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I would say forget about word count and think about what you’re explaining in your chapter and how it reads. How many scenes, or how many topics of interest would be better.

If you focus on word count, you might end up just info dumping boring things to make the numbers.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
I'd say...500 at minimum for a prologue. 750+ for a regular chapter. For a webnovel, that is

Aiyoki

Chapter plotting is probably more important than overall word count IMO.

For my story I started with the thought that 1.5k-2.5k words would be doable since I planned to have 2 chapter releases per week.

Buuut I actually had to break up a chapter last week in order to meet my self imposed release deadline because it ran long, about 5,400 words total between both parts. My last chapter is 3,200. Work + nephew + my own procrastination all kinda factor in to make this a bit rough for me but so far the worst I've done is met my imposed deadlines for chapters a bit late on the day I mark to have them released.

Ultimately I say ask yourself this: What do you want to tell in the chapter you're writing? Summarize it with a few short sentences, then write it out and worry about word count only if you aren't meeting the word count goal you set for yourself.

Bobple

Just do what's comfortable. So experiment!
I haven't posted anything yet, but I have been practising (hopefully posting first story soon... been saying to myself for about a year).

Currently I'm doing min 1.5K but that's a soft rule, cause sometimes the flow of the chapter is more important (Happen once so far in my current attempt at writing where I got to 1000 and I couldn't write anymore cause it would've been just adding fat to important chapter).

Yeah... The answer is there's no right answer. It depends on how you like to write, what type of schedule you want, and how much you can write without being burnt out.

Le_ther

As a newbie author here, I want to know your opinion as a fellow author or reader about how many words should be written in a series.

How many words should I put in each chapter? 1K? 2K? Or 3K?

And is there a standard about how many words someone has to write for each chapter?

Thanks in advance!​

Some authors who can get upto 2k chapters used 1k words format so they can upload everyday.(wn authors)

Some use 2k for 3 day uploads(novelpia? I see some kr authors do this format)

Some use 2.5k - 4k for 7 day uploads.( mostly authors that are busy)

Lastly, for monthly updates they could take from 5k - 10k(mostly japanese popular authors do this which may include extras stuff)

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
As a newbie author here, I want to know your opinion as a fellow author or reader about how many words should be written in a series.

How many words should I put in each chapter? 1K? 2K? Or 3K?

And is there a standard about how many words someone has to write for each chapter?

Thanks in advance!​

Didn’t you ask this already?

DonHon

Cat enthusiast
Well its depending on your thing, i prefer smaller because im not that creative making fillers in things so i made it smaller because if it was 1k+ GODDAMN my novel will be over in a week