How much detail can there be in graphic scenes, before it becomes too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
Readers taste is really subjective. It's up to you, esteemed author, to make it real and relevant to your reader. It would depend on how well you can take the reader with you into your plot.... in saying that, it also depends on your audience i.e. who picks up your novel and with what expectations. If you are promising fluffy bunnies with your title, don't maul innocent expectations with a massacre. I'm thinking of Watership Down the movie or this novel when I say this. >.< Not many people will accept or assimilate a plot twist like that without warning....I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying it's a risk.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Readers taste is really subjective. It's up to you, esteemed author, to make it real and relevant to your reader. It would depend on how well you can take the reader with you into your plot.... in saying that, it also depends on your audience i.e. who picks up your novel and with what expectations. If you are promising fluffy bunnies with your title, don't maul innocent expectations with a massacre. I'm thinking of Watership Down the movie or this novel when I say this. >.< Not many people will accept or assimilate a plot twist like that without warning....I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying it's a risk.
I love Watership Down!
The original film, not the new multiple part one.
And it was going to be a pretty generic title, for the moment...
I mean, the whole story won't be about the graphic stuff, there will be other things in the plot, too.
I would, of course, put a warning in the synopsis, though, along with tags. (Once I actually start posting it online, that is)

Thanks for the feedback~!
*huggles*

X

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
I love Watership Down!
The original film, not the new multiple part one.
And it was going to be a pretty generic title, for the moment...
I mean, the whole story won't be about the graphic stuff, there will be other things in the plot, too.
I would, of course, put a warning in the synopsis, though, along with tags. (Once I actually start posting it online, that is)

Thanks for the feedback~!
*huggles*

X

At what age did you watch Watership Down? I've heard horror stories from British friends of mine that were taken to watch it at the movie theatres expecting a cute kiddie story when they were kids (because of how it was marketed I am told) only to be horrified towards the end when the bloodshed starts (after they have become emotionally invested in the characters). The British do know how to spin a drama I have to say. :)

Nahrenne

At what age did you watch Watership Down? I've heard horror stories from British friends of mine that were taken to watch it at the movie theatres expecting a cute kiddie story when they were kids (because of how it was marketed I am told) only to be horrified towards the end when the bloodshed starts (after they have become emotionally invested in the characters). The British do know how to spin a drama I have to say. :)
When I was about 5, I think. It was on video, though.
I was never scared by it, though.
Tbh, I think people are way too overprotective about what to show kids.
I mean, I even watched Jurassic Park when I was about 3 and didn't even flinch - according to my parents.

But I guess it depends on how the kid is raised, when it comes to reactions to Watership Down.
If I had to name a particular scene that was quite haunting, but still good, then it would be the scene showing what happened to the original warren.

X

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
+1 to this comment

Renne~ we talked about this already so you already know my opinion XD

In the end, it’s really subjective and there will always be people who like it and others who dislike it.

I think an important question is how you attract the right readers to your novel to begin with. If you put a tragedy tag, for example, you’ll turn away everyone who refuses to read anything remotely close to tragedy. The result is that less people read your novel, but the people who do will be more likely to appreciate it.

((Don’t be like me a make a clickbait title haha :blobsweat:))

Nahrenne

+1 to this comment

Renne~ we talked about this already so you already know my opinion XD

In the end, it’s really subjective and there will always be people who like it and others who dislike it.

I think an important question is how you attract the right readers to your novel to begin with. If you put a tragedy tag, for example, you’ll turn away everyone who refuses to read anything remotely close to tragedy. The result is that less people read your novel, but the people who do will be more likely to appreciate it.

((Don’t be like me a make a clickbait title haha :blobsweat:))
Yeah, there will be a little bit of tragedy, but the whole story won't be of that.
I think the biggest problem with a lot of tragedy novels is that it's the ending that is tragic, which makes one feel empty inside.
My tragic bits will happen long before the end.
Was that a minor spoiler?
*thinks*
Oh well.
And I am thankful for your feedback, I just wanted a wider range of opinions to get a better grasp.
*huggles*
\(^o^)/

X

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
I mean, I even watched Jurassic Park when I was about 3 and didn't even flinch - according to my parents.

But I guess it depends on how the kid is raised, when it comes to reactions to Watership Down.
If I had to name a particular scene that was quite haunting, but still good, then it would be the scene showing what happened to the original warren.

X

Maybe you were young enough not to be affected by it....Kids and their exposure to violence etc and how it affects them is kind of fascinating so thank you for answering.

My favourite book as a kid was Grimms Faerie tales...I was never really into Disney. :)

I'd continue asking questions about it, but i'd hijack your feed so maybe another day, another thread. XD

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member

X
What funny is when I was a kid, nothing scares me. Now that I'm older everything scares me. Everything.

Nahrenne

What funny is when I was a kid, nothing scares me. Now that I'm older everything scares me. Everything.
I think my immunity to scary things was lost due to my mum not liking scary films, so we never watched them.
I mean, I remember watching, 'The Mummy', when I was about 8 and having nightmares.
Those scarab beetles....
*shudders*
Or maybe it's just the type of horror, where I'm fine if it's not somewhat realistic.
X

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
I think my immunity to scary things was lost due to my mum not liking scary films, so we never watched them.
I mean, I remember watching, 'The Mummy', when I was about 8 and having nightmares.
Those scarab beetles....
*shudders*
Or maybe it's just the type of horror, where I'm fine if it's not somewhat realistic.
X
but it's fun to watch horror movie though

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Those scarab beetles....
*shudders*
X
As a kid I didn't think about death. My dad told me heaven and hell isn't real. That was when I started being scared of everything. I was 8.

Nahrenne

but it's fun to watch horror movie though
My imagination runs wild and I think I end up imagining myself as the victims in them...
>w<

*remembers weeks of nightmares, being chased a sandy corridor by the Mummy*
X

Status
Not open for further replies.