How much romance do you put in your stories?

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
images - 2021-11-21T205749.835.jpeg

Hello my gals, guys and enby pals

So I was in the middle of a psychological crisis when a thought hit me.

How much love is in a romance story?

Now while looking at it I began to wonder if the romance not being that important especially if there's no conflict from the romance plot is it still considered romance.

Like how much effort do you put in a romantic story along with the other plots, do you put some of the other plots on hold to focus on the romance? Is the romance essential to the plot? Is the characters the point of the plot and therefore does that experience more romantic emotions take a bigger part of the plot? Is it put on the side to explore other plots?

Tell me what you think cause this disturbed for so long to know how must people handle romantic plot lines.

Mr.Grey-Cat

well, I currently don't have any romance in my novel, as such as I will speak as a reader, but who said that romance needs a reason to exist?

honestly, in my opinion, romance is not always welcomed, but even so, no one, I repeat, NO ONE will complain if it's a good romance.

Take for example, a novel I read once. SSS-Class Suicide Hunter, in this novel, there were multiple romantic possibilities for the mc, but guess what?
there was no romance, and for like a hundred chapters and more, there was still no romance, only familial and friendly love relations, but then in just one chapter.... Just One Chapter, there was suddenly romance, with a character that appeared for the first time in the novel...

and honestly? I wasn't really against nor was I with it, and so, I kept reading until a certain part where I was like "should I just drop this", but just after that paragraph, all changed.

the mc and his newfound love started dating, a weird romantic life started, and even tragedy struck, BUT in only one arc, romance suddenly bloomed, and because it was done well, instead of hating it, I actually enjoyed reading it.

and that was an example of a done good romance. now for a done bad romance right? well, let's just say there are a lot of works like that, and so if you don't want your novel to be one of them, then you can only....

1_ Not write romance.
2_ Writ actually good romance.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
As someone who writes romance(or at least attempts to), romance alone isn’t enough for a story. It needs to be accompanied with something else to keep people hooked. Romantic moments should be littered here and there throughout the story, otherwise it will get stale fast. You’ll eventually become numb to it. The romantic partner should be there during the good and the bad, they should be supporting and helping each other grow as a person, but they should have their own lives too. Their partner shouldn’t become their own identity. They should butt heads, disagree, go against each other, and fight too. They shouldn’t be a mindless bobble head that only says yes.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
Since I like having multiple MC's, I always have a single shipping or more for EACH MC, though I don't have a happy ending for each MC in the romance field. For example, say I have 5 MC's. 2 of them might get with someone, MC's #3 and #4 will have their ship die or it just somehow won't work well. while MC #5, his romance shipping will end up unrequited. This tends to be my style. I also make an effort to make sure its not obvious. Like for maybe 1 or 2 of the 5 MC's, it will be obvious its going to happen and/or work out, while for the other 3 or 4 MC's.....you won't know until either the very end or until a lengthy period of time later.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
If it fits, everyone had their romantic subplot or at least a working relationship by the end of the story.